[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a generally-accepted list of "must-read" books,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: $_32.jpg (84KB, 848x566px) Image search: [Google]
$_32.jpg
84KB, 848x566px
Is there a generally-accepted list of "must-read" books, from stuff like Homer up to modern-day? I'm looking for a list of 100 or so essential reads, and plan to read them over the next few years. Up until a few months ago I mostly read trashy fantasy books and I'd like to educate myself more.
>>
>>9870915
You're provably searching for 'the western canon'.
That would be way over 100 books though, so you may wanna read only the ones you are interested about.
>>
>>9870915
Who cares? Just lurk moar and read books that interest you. Don't fall for the 'YOU MUST READ THE ENTIRE WESTERN CANON IN SEQUENTIAL ORDER' meme that's so popular around here. In the real world, you will never encounter someone who will flame you for not having read a specific classic so none of them are "must read" in that sense.

>>9870927
What this guy said. Read the ones you are interested in reading.
>>
>>9870942
I'm not doing it to appear knowledgeable, I'm doing it because it interests me. I spend a lot of time reading generic fantasy doorstop trilogies, and I know there's a huge library of public domain classics for me to dig into. My problem is I'm not exactly sure where to start with it, and finding some sort of list that I can check off would help me a lot, even if I initially scratch half the list and stick to the titles that interest me.
>>
>>9870958
Here's the two best lists out there:
http://sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html

http://spinelessbooks.com/mccaffery/100/
>>
>>9871002
That second list is great, thanks. I don't necessarily mean the whole western canon, something more along the lines of BBC's "big read" but for classics instead of harry potter and Jacqueline Wilson.
>>
>>9870915
Honestly the /lit/ 2016 top 100 is mostly full of very important books
>>
greeks and only the greeks
>>
the bible and only the bible
>>
>>9870915
Great Books of the Western World set is what you're looking for. The synopticon especially is useful for focused and conscious reading. You want to be "well-read" not "wide-read" and that requires reading well not just widely.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.