[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone read Atlas Shrugged? Is it worth the very long read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 160128swashington.jpg (53KB, 400x268px) Image search: [Google]
160128swashington.jpg
53KB, 400x268px
Has anyone read Atlas Shrugged?

Is it worth the very long read? What was the main point(s) you came away with that enriched your life?

Thanks for mature responses.
>>
>>9870650
better than fucking leftist SJWs thats for sure. I respect capitalism, and I don't respect multiculturalism
>>
theoretically, this board could have been an amazing little niche to spend one's time discussing one's interest with like-minded anons and memeing about others' shit taste.
the state of /lit/ makes me sad.
>>
>>9870701
It's the vile leftists who make everything about race and gender shit. Another reminder never to let women and nonwhites have rights
>>
>>9870650
If you're reading Ayn Rand I wouldn't advise starting with this. The story is interesting but there's a 200 page speech hammered in there which shouts her philosophy in the least subtle way possible. Read the Fountainhead first, then if you really enjoy it try Atlas Shrugged.
>>
>>9870650
Read half of The Fountainhead, can't say I liked it.
If you're interested in her philosophy you're better off reading Stirner.
>>
>>9870656
>I respect capitalism, and I don't respect multiculturalism

then you're an idiot because capitalism and multiculturalism go hand and glove.
>>
>>9870855
This, dumb yanks don't seem to understand that global capitalism is multiculturalism
>>
File: 1493014453722.jpg (47KB, 500x466px) Image search: [Google]
1493014453722.jpg
47KB, 500x466px
>>9870855
>hand and glove
>and
>>
>>9870650
No. I unironically used both AS and Das Kapital as door stoppers.

Unless you are honestly doing a deep dive, abridged secondary literature is more than enough.
>>
>>9870709
Youre doing it right now.
>>
>>9870868
It sounds better actually
>>
>>9871056
shut the darn up st*pid
>>
File: 1497419841909.jpg (65KB, 604x603px) Image search: [Google]
1497419841909.jpg
65KB, 604x603px
>>9870650
Agree with >>9870770 that Shrugged is a bad book to just jump into. The Fountainhead delivers most of the same points in a better executed and more beautiful novel, and if all you're looking for is a takeaway, that's the route to go. Shrugged is really best reserved for Objectivism completionists.

That being said, the segments about the equalization of opportunity act and the actual administration of Reardan's plant / Dagny's railroad were page-turners, so there's some great writing buried in the ideology.
>>
>>9870650
Just read it. It goes quickly. It's fun.
It's like soviet propaganda turned on its head.
>>
>>9870855
Wrong. You're thinking of corporatism, which is the end result of unchecked crony capitalism, which is the path we've been on for decades.
>>
>>9870650
I'm two thirds in. Hasn't felt cumbersome at all, but like people have already pointed out you should read The Fountainhead first.
>>
>>9870650
it s a good book. maybe a bit too long. Strong themes and good morals.
>>
>>9870650
No, but I do have a copy of it.
Need to finish my current reading first, but I'll get to it.
>>
>>9871160
>unchecked
I don't know about that one
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.