[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When does a book become literature? pic related. I think we

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: owners-manual[1].jpg (41KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
owners-manual[1].jpg
41KB, 640x426px
When does a book become literature?

pic related. I think we can all agree that a car owners manual is a book and yet could not be considered a work of literature.

what defines literature? Where do we raw the line?
>>
>>9870478
Artistic intent
>>
>>9870492
inb4 barthes.

seriously though, if somebody declares that the , for example, low quality self-help book is literature should we think of it as literature
>>
>>9870534
Yes. Whether or not it is good literature is up to the subjective taste of the individual.
>>
>>9870534
>>9870478
Also, that OP pic is literature.
>>
>>9870722
This. I hate how so many people--especially here--seem to forget this.
>>
>>9870478
who cares literature is a word call it whatever you want, i prefer to just call books "books", or novels if they're novels I never really got the "literature" thing seems like its any novel deemed really good through the ages gets to jump into the "literature" category but thats just group-think aint it there's plenty of books considered literature that I think aren't good like Kafka so its up to individuals to determine if it has value, just call them what they are, fiction, non-fiction, novel, etc.
>>
my diary desu desu
>>
I know a guy who loves manuals. Just reading them and pouring over the details. Technical specs and functions of electronics or random car manuals he picks up. I think if he can actually dedicate time to learning about what that shit means, then who am I to say they have less worth than a novel.
>>
>>9870478
The mark of literature, as opposed to just text or writing or prose, is whether the use of the language is either intended or perceived to have some aesthetic value beyond its efficacy at communication. I expect that in the Volvo manual in OPs pic, the purpose of the language is to convey technical information about the operating and servicing of the vehicle. The language is purely means and not, in some way, an end in itself.

This isn't to say that there is an objective way to define literature, but the argument that any given text should or should not be considered lit ought, I think, to be based in such a distinction.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.