[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any books on how the Abrahamic religions came to be?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: symbols.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
symbols.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
Are there any books on how the Abrahamic religions came to be? I'm looking for something that explains how they differ from other religions, and how their environment played a role in shaping them. I'm especially interested in Islam, because I was listening to a podcast some time ago, and someone put forth the idea that these faiths, especially Islam, had to be all fire and brimstone and steeped with the supernatural because the people they were trying to convince were superstitious desert nomads, peasants, and warlords who were often violent. I just want something that delves into why there's so much call for the sword, the supremacist nature of them; especially Islam since it seems to go the farthest.
>>
>>9868738
monotheism is easier to explain to retards.
>>
File: b35.jpg (18KB, 353x334px) Image search: [Google]
b35.jpg
18KB, 353x334px
>>9868834
>>
Armstrong's A History of God is very plebby but tells you a lot of what you're looking for, starting with the origins of Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

For instance pre-Islamic society being already a bloodbath is described in good detail: there is no individual moral responsibility for a homicide. If somebody from my clan is killed, I don't punish the killer, I randomly kill somebody from the clan the killer is from. Literally there is only tribal vengeance (one of the meanings of muruwah).

This vengeance continues today in terrorism, as they kill random civilians instead of politicians, bankers or soldiers.
>>
>>9868862
>Armstrong's A History of God
>karen
a-are you sure, anon? Women seem to not be able to critique Islam without political bias.
>>
>>9868947
Still the best book on all three faiths.
>>
>>9868738
Yeah, on Islam, read Moon-O-Theism, and Hagarism, both available online.
>>
>>9868738
These will do you:

>Ancient Judaism
The Early History of God: Yahweh and the Other Deities in Ancient Israel

>Judaism
Judaism: The Evolution of a Faith

>Christianity
A History of Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years

>Islam
Islam: A Thousand Years of Faith and Power
>>
>>9868738
Hans Küng is pretty much standard literature when it comes to the Abrahamic religions.
At least check out:
>Judaism: Between Yesterday and Tomorrow
>Christianity : Its Essence and History
>Islam: Past, Present and Future
https://libraryoflights.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/islam-past-present-and-future-hans-kung.pdf
>>
>>9869062
No, Hans Kung is not the fuckign standard when it comes to the topic.
>>
File: Whut.jpg (5KB, 221x228px) Image search: [Google]
Whut.jpg
5KB, 221x228px
>>9869077
Thx for your elaborated line of argument...
>>
>>9868967
http://www.yoel.info/moonotheismv1andv2.pdf
https://ia802300.us.archive.org/7/items/Hagarism/Hagarism;%20The%20Making%20of%20the%20Islamic%20World-Crone,%20Cook.pdf
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.