[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Childhood is idolizing Hemingway Adulthood is realizing Faulkner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: Hemingway.Faulkner.jpg (73KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
Hemingway.Faulkner.jpg
73KB, 480x300px
Childhood is idolizing Hemingway
Adulthood is realizing Faulkner was right all along
>>
True
>>
Childhood is idolizing Plato
Adulthood is realizing Nietzsche was right all along
>>
>>9865548
Nabakov is a bad joke.
>>
>>9865548
That's actually true. Women always talk to me about Hemingway, but never have anything to say beyond "I like him because he's concise and straightforward xd". They don't actually know why Hemingway is good. And they certainly have no idea why Faulkner is in a different league entirely.
>>
When you realize novellas are the pinnacle of prose fiction.
>>
They were actually quite friendly towards each other personally despite their rivalry. Faulkner wrote a very praiseworthy review of The Old Man and The Sea, and his original comment towards Hemingway which started all of it was never intended to be an insult. Hemingway was just a babby and took it as one. I agree though, as a teen Hemingway is the more popular of the two before delving into Faulkner's work. I like both authors but I believe Faulkner is in another league in comparison to Hemingway.
>>
>>9865806
Thanks for the trivia fuckwad
>>
>>9865809
don't be mean
>>
File: 1486566134653.jpg (7KB, 249x249px) Image search: [Google]
1486566134653.jpg
7KB, 249x249px
>>9865829
Or what
>>
>>9865548
Childhood is liking corncobby chronicles
Adulthood is realizing Nabokov was right all along.
>>
Hemingway, Ernest. A writer of books for boys. Certainly better than Conrad. Has at least a voice of his own. Nothing I would care to have written myself. In mentality and emotion, hopelessly juvenile. Loathe his works about bells, balls, and bulls.
The Killers. Delightful, highly artistic. Admirable.
The Old Man and the Sea. Wonderful. The description of the iridescent fish and rhythmic urination is superb.

Faulkner, William. Dislike him. Writer of corncobby chronicles. To consider them masterpieces is an absurd delusion. A nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me.
>>
Childhood is idolizing Pynchon
Adulthood I'm still working on
>>
>>9865862
which of his did you not like?
>>
>>9865869
what are you trying to say, you wretched wretch
>>
>>9865556
>Elderhood is returning to Plato
like poetry
>>
>>9865565
Why is Hemingway good?
>>
File: 1456716994271.jpg (90KB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456716994271.jpg
90KB, 919x720px
>>9865868
I like this

>>9865862
This post. Nabokov's words, paraphrased.

It's a good way to mess with people,
>>9865869 ,
but 'corncobby' left as the sole critique of Faulkner remains impossibly juvenile. From Nabokov or Anon.
>>
>>9865548
Childhood is idolising Marx
Adulthood is realising Hegel was right all along
>>
>>9865922
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>9865548
It's a very interesting question which will survive the test of time -- which will be read 100 years from now, or 300 years from now. Perhaps neither. It seems unlikely that both will be.

If I had to bet, I'd put my money on Faulkner, but I wouldn't be terribly confident about that bet. Nor of course will I (or you) be around to see which horse, if either, is still running when the clock hits 2100.
>>
Hans.

Get the corncob.
>>
>>9866032
Humans won't be alive 300 years from now retard
>>
>>9866032
I don't think that it's unreasonable for some of us to survive to 2100, when considering how rapidly medicine is advancing. I'll place my bets on Faulkner surviving the longest. There's something very timeless and unique about his writing.
>>
>>9866081
>when considering how rapidly medicine is advancing

Kek yeah and let's just arbitrarily assume it'll keep "advancing" for all eternity
>>
>>9866065
Silly anon we are talking about Robot Academia
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.