[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This man read 12 hours a day so you don't have to. Say thank

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

This man read 12 hours a day so you don't have to. Say thank you.

Where do I start? The Hero With A Thousand Faces?
>>
The Power of Myth.
>>
>>9864768
What was your takeaway?
>>
>>9864791
I suggested it because it's the shortest, cheapest, easiest to get a copy of, and it gives you the idea of what his writings are like.

I don't remember much, honestly. The only thing that stuck is the brief distinction between social and natural — is that how he calls them? — religions. He only gives one example in the Power of Myth but interested me. I believe he talked about the Hebrews having a more tribal like religion because they were nomads who lived in a shitty place which made them turn inwards more and try to keep their tribe alive in a fallen world, unlike for example pagans in Europe who turned more towards nature, and worshiped it. This is apparently what leads to Judaeo-Christians not being so concerned with the environment. At least to the extent pagans are.

Maybe I forgot it and got it wrong, so correct me. lads.
>>
File: power.png (419KB, 495x377px)
power.png
419KB, 495x377px
>>9864818
Here, I will try to find some quotes for this. Sorry for the quality, I only have a webcam now.
>>
File: power 2.png (624KB, 509x555px) Image search: [Google]
power 2.png
624KB, 509x555px
>>9864833
>>
File: power3.png (276KB, 574x280px)
power3.png
276KB, 574x280px
>>9864847
>>
>>9864854
Thanks anon will analyze after finished living my maternal fantasy of being a lawyer and cowering toward the uterus, I.e after I punch out.
>>
>>9864768
>>9864791
>>9864818
I wouldn't recommend The Power of Myth as an intro to Campbell. It's where I started with him, and it makes him seem like some kind of hippie. It's the partial transcript of a late 80s multi-episode PBS special where Bill Moyers interviews Campbell (who would die a year or two later) about his ideas at a very superficial, made-for-TV level. I dived into Hero With A Thousand Faces after that, and it's very different; you would be best to start with that.
>>
>>9865443
I have begun Hero. Good lookin good lookin
>>
>>9865443
Well, to me he always seems new-age. I suggested TPOM because it's easy to find/cheap, not because it's him at his best.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.