[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a college/university experience a mandatory requirement to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1426186820641-1.png (205KB, 680x597px) Image search: [Google]
1426186820641-1.png
205KB, 680x597px
Is a college/university experience a mandatory requirement to publish a successful book /lit/? I understand it definitely helps, but is it absolutely necessary? I assume you could just hire a ghostwriter to help edit any errors and whatnot
>pic unrelated
>>
If you're a genius it's not mandatory. But you post on 4chan so I can guarantee that you're not one
>>
>>9861597
No. Most classic authors had no university experience.
>>
>wanting to be a wagecuck instead of spending a few years as a comfy student working on your craft
>>
>>9861597
No. But I had a great time in college and learned a bunch and it gave me writing material
>>
>>9861729
"Comfy students" are just wagecucks without a job, Anon.
>>
>>9861597
>a ghostwriter to help edit any errors
you need to do more research into the publishing industry and, i'm 100% certain, just work on your craft

if this was bait, (you) win.
>>
Social media presence or celebrity is far easier path than education. Without either of those, your best path is finding representation.

#MSWL - https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mswl&src=typd
#AskAgent - https://twitter.com/search?q=%23askagent&src=typd

Cold calling agents is still a long shot. Publishing isn't dissimilar to acting or any other form of entertainment, you need to move yourself in a place where you can actually meet these people. But before all that you actually have to write well. Focus on developing your craft to the point that it might actually make someone money and then representation will come.
>>
>>9862403
Any ideas on where to meet an agent? I'm here in NYC, lit capital of the country, know lots of interesting people, am not completely anti-social, and yet for some reason I've still never found myself face to face with an agent. Maybe it's because I tend to dislike other writers and would avoid industry gatherings even if I were invited to them. Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>9863048
That's about as much as I know, most of my experience comes from my girlfriend struggling with self-publishing and taking it to the next level.
>>
I love spurdo so goddamn much.
>>
>>9863048
So your plan is to meet the right agent at a bar or museum? Or bump into the not quite right one who will maybe give you some names?

If you're unwilling to attend events, your best hope is to follow #MSWL, pay for publishersmarketplace.com, or use one of the smaller agent databases.
>>
>>9861597
Universities are shit.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.