[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I retain more information? I'm mostly talking about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

How do I retain more information? I'm mostly talking about literature, but I have the same problem when I'm watching anime sometimes. Any tips on how to improve my memory so that I don't constantly have to reread/skim through previously read texts?
Pic 100% related
>>
>>9860524
stop watching anime.
>>
>>9860524
Stick to video games and anime, champ.
>>
>>9860529
I've exhausted most of the good stuff already and don't really watch that much anymore, but I just discovered Gundam and it's fun.
>>
>>9860541
Video games are boring unless you're playing with friends
>>
>>9860524
What I do is I summarize points into bullet points.
I don't know how well other people can do it (I assume they can, because I'm not that smart). It's like... zipping a folder of information. If I'm in a good place I condense an entire paragraph into a single word. You just have to unzip it.

Just rearrange the information into how you remember it best.

For example:
>blah blah blah cars blah blah blah blablah blah blah speed blablah blablablah blah blah blah driver blah blah blah blah blah blah. control blah blah blah blah blah blah blah difficult.
becomes
>the higher the speed the harder it is to control a car
then, you can make a word to represent the sentence, like say, speed.
so now you can look at the word speed and remember the sentence you made.

I used to do this in school a lot, and it served me well.

The upside is that you can retain a lot- the downside is that you don't always remember the fine details. Just like condensing an image, you lose data. But if you're not in school anymore then who gives a shit.
>>
>>9860524
Just read more with less interruptions. Don't check your phone, or social media, etc...while you read. It will help strengthen your attention span which will help you retain more.
>>
File: 1457996353667.jpg (131KB, 628x800px) Image search: [Google]
1457996353667.jpg
131KB, 628x800px
>>9860524
Don't be afraid to re-read; it's pretty much the only quick solution you have. For the long run, you need to gather some discipline.
>>
Memory is the art of attention. Give something your full attention, and you're likely to remember it.
>>
>>9860524
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_of_memory
>The 'method of loci' (plural of Latin locus for place or location) is a general designation for mnemonic techniques that rely upon memorized spatial relationships to establish, order and recollect memorial content. The term is most often found in specialized works on psychology, neurobiology and memory, though it was used in the same general way at least as early as the first half of the nineteenth century in works on Rhetoric, Logic and Philosophy.
>O'Keefe and Nadel refer to "'the method of loci', an imaginal technique known to the ancient Greeks and Romans and described by Yates in her book The Art of Memory as well as by Luria. In this technique the subject memorizes the layout of some building, or the arrangement of shops on a street, or a video game, or any geographical entity which is composed of a number of discrete loci. When desiring to remember a set of items the subject 'walks' through these loci and commits an item to each one by forming an image between the item and any distinguishing feature of that locus. Retrieval of items is achieved by 'walking' through the loci, allowing the latter to activate the desired items. The efficacy of this technique has been well established, as is the minimal interference seen with its use."

Or, if you're willing to try something more "out there", you could try the Ars Notoria.
>The Ars Notoria is one of five books within a grimoire called the Lesser Keys of Solomon , or Clavicula Salomonis Regis . A grimoire is a textbook of occult knowledge which is meant to grant the reader the ability to cast spells, create talismans, invoke spirits, invoke demons, and perform divination. The Lesser Keys of Solomon is an anonymous grimoire that was compiled from other works in the 17th century, and focuses on demonology. The five books contained within the Lesser Keys of Solomon are the Ars Goetia , the Ars Theurgia-Goetia , the Ars Paulina , the Ars Almadel , and the Ars Notoria .
>Those who practice liberal arts, such as arithmetic, geometry, and philosophy, are promised a mastery of their subject if they devote themselves to the Ars Notoria . Within, it describes a daily process of visualization, contemplation, and orations, which are intended to enhance the practitioner’s focus and memory.
>>
>>9860524
Retaining information with anime? Lol.
But seriously, meditate everyday and visualize the new episodes you have seen, it's quite exciting and you start remembering shows/movies you've seen from years ago too. With literature: Think while reading. Read a paragraph, afterwards think in your head in your own words what happened in it, what themes, what events etc..
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.