[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is phenomenal experience? Anyone know any good books/papers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Nagel.jpg (94KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
Nagel.jpg
94KB, 638x479px
What is phenomenal experience? Anyone know any good books/papers to get me started?
>>
>>9860518
Enquiry in human understanding by Hume
>>
Descartes' Meditations
Locke's Essay Concerning Human Understanding
Husserl's Logical Investigations
Stein's Finite and Eternal Beings

>>9860535
Hume is shit
>>
>>9860556
Hume is good for understanding the idea that we can't claim to know any real cause-effect chains, but only probability. For example, the sun has risen every day I've been alive but tomorrow it might not and that wouldn't imply any contradiction.
>>
>>9860556
From what I've read about Husserl he's just a pedantic meme. You sure it's worth the read?
>>
>>9860571
I dislike Hume greatly, but that is probably the one thing he's decent at explaining. Is that really necessary to explore when you want a basic understanding of phenomenology though?
>>9860573
Personally I haven't read Husserl. I've read the other three I suggested and been meaning to get to him, but haven't had the chance. I had a professor in my undergrad that wouldn't shut up about him and how important he is in understanding existentialism. Honestly, you could probably skip him, read the other three and some of the existentialists, and still end up with a decent understanding of phenomenology.
>>
>>9860581
I've already read Descartes and Locke, but none of them answer the question "What is subjective experience?"
I personally think it's a phenomenon that occurs in the same way that when you put 2 Hydrogen and 1 oxygen together you suddenly get the phenomenon/property of "wetness"
>>
>>9860518
Start here: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qualia/.
Also: never aks for advice on /lit/ regarding philosophy again. You'll get entirely unhelpful recommendations such as the ones above. Why? Because none of them have a clue what it is you are asking about, yet feel the urge to contribute anyway.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.