[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, which one of you /lit/ weebs know some essential books to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Shinto.Torii.Icon.png (36KB, 304x310px) Image search: [Google]
Shinto.Torii.Icon.png
36KB, 304x310px
Ok, which one of you /lit/ weebs know some essential books to read for/from the Shinto pantheon

also an encyclopedia for things like yokai and kami is extremely appreciated
>>
play shin megami tensei
>>
Something something second season of Darker Than Black
>>
>>9857951
>>9857967
I came to /lit/ for a reason; I'm looking for a book, none of this other weeb shit.
>>
>>9857846
I think you need to read a book about what Shinto is before you try learning just a bunch of gods. Shinto is a very vague ill defined set of ideas that is difficult to distinguish from Buddhism, Confucianism, various folk practices and Meiji era propaganda. I would recommend either A New History of Shinto by Breen or Shinto (The Way of the Gods) by Aston.
I think if you go about it just wanting to know about the gods you will have an extremely impoverished and one sided understanding of Shinto and probably won't even have a very good idea on what Shinto is.
>>
>>9857977
>weeb weeb weeb
Maybe reading isn't for you.
>>
>>9859875
This is more than I could have asked for, thank you.
>>
>>9859875
These seem interesting, thanks.
>>
>>9857846
The Life Changing Magic of Tidying (actually)
>>
Is there anything intellectually interesting about Shinto thought, or is it really just a nature religion with gods for every pebble on the side of the road?
>>
>>9860972
The Japanese art of decluttering and organizing. I never knew Jordan Peterson was actually japanese, kek.
>>
>>9860983
There are, alegedally, over eight million gods within Japan; but it sounds to me that it goes deeper.
>>
>>9860983
Not really. The Japanese as a people aren't inclined towards systematic rigorous thinking. They don't really a philosophical tradition, at least by western standards of what philosophy is. What little of that stuff they have is all Buddhist but even that is pretty insubstantial if we compare them to other nations with a strong Buddhist tradition.
>>
>>9861228
Let's be fair, they literally practiced two different forms of Buddhism because of a prince and a rich hipster; gotta expect that they have some similar beliefs.
>>
>>9857846
The books of Breen and Teeuwen.

Shit thread so far, by the way.
>>
>>9861385
Any better recommendation, smart guy?
>>
>>9861385
>recommends the same author as someone else
>clearly hasn't read the thread
>says thread is shit
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.