[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ help me out, I'm trying to decide what book to read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 289px-Rainsford.jpg (11KB, 289x220px) Image search: [Google]
289px-Rainsford.jpg
11KB, 289x220px
/lit/ help me out, I'm trying to decide what book to read next: its a tossup.

The Iliad
War and Peace
A Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man
Waiting For Godot

Which one?
>>
No one? I'll make a rec for someone.
>>
>>9852717
Waiting for Godot is a quick read.
I'm also a Classicist, so I cannot but recommend Homer next.
>>
>>9852717
The Iliad
>>
>>9852742

Yep, Waiting for Godot is the thinner volume, everything else on the list save Portrait is a commitment. I dunno though, I think it might be fitting to leave Waiting for Godot to be last, it suits the name. I don't want to crack into a tome just quite yet, I might start with A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I've never read Joyce before though. I also hear War and Peace is excellent, and the Iliad, well... you know. You see, I'm at a loss here guys, look at this predicament.
>>
Read Godot.
>>
The Iliad. By far the best there, followed by War and Peace.
>>
>>9852717
is english your first language? if so, which translations are you using for W&P and the iliad? i recommend the Oxford World Classics update of the maudes' translation for W&P or, failing that, just the original maudes'. please stay away from pevear and volokhonsky.

i think the deep autumn is the best time to read "portrait," the claustrophobic winter is the best for the wide-reaching "war and peace," and the promises of spring match "the iliad" well. so i guess i would read "waiting for godot" to run out the clock until fall has really fallen.
>>
>>9852800

I know this is probably true.

>>9852802

Whats wrong with the pevear and volokhonsky translation? It seems to be the more popular.

also I got the fagles iliad translation. did i fuck up or something?

>>9852796

I want to, but its so short. Its like eating a candy, you'll never get the same taste for the first time. Should I spoil my better sense on this one?
>>
>>9852717
The best you can do is reading chronologically, so exactly in the order you listed.
>>
>>9852882
Fagles' translation of the Iliad is great. You should just go for the Maude translation of W&P (and Tolstoy in general) though. The Maude translation comes with Tolstoy's personal approval.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.