[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone tell me why people here hate murakami? Pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (24KB, 266x396px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
24KB, 266x396px
Can someone tell me why people here hate murakami? Pic related was one I finished recently and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The surreal narrative along with the detail in the way he describes his environment is exactly what made it so comfy. Do you guys hate it just because normies use his work to look intellectual? For anyone who has read his stuff, are his other books as good? (read hard boiled wonderland, didn't find it as interesting)
>>
I dunno, maybe because people here like reading literature
>>
>>9851674

>Do you guys hate it just because normies use his work to look intellectual?

Do they? Not disputing it. Just wondering.
>>
>>9851674
I didn't find it unenjoyable, but it was too long for what it was desu. I failed to really see any merit in it other than being entertaining and learning a little about Nomonhan and so on.
Still, I would recommend Murakami to a lot of people.
>>
>>9851750
Yep. Every once in a while there'll be someone from my social feed posting a picture of the book opened with their relaxing feet in the background. Basically the literary equivalent of instagram breakfast photos
>>
>>9851764

I never get the vibe they're trying to be intellectual. But, yeah. If I see anybody post books on Instagram it's either a Murakami book or Rupi Kaur.
>>
>>9851674
I think I've read everything he's published in English. Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Hard-Boiled Wonderland are probably his two best; his other earlier fiction is generally OK but not great. Murakami's problem is that his writing hasn't progressed in the last 20+ years; all his books since then have essentially been the same thing, over and over -- same plot, characters, etc. His latest (Tsukuru Tazaki) is decidedly odd, and I don't mean that in a good way. A lot of people think he'll get a Nobel Prize; if he does, it'll be a shame (although of course this isn't as prestigious as it once was).
>>
>>9851674
Murakami is an author that I wished I liked; his prose and ideas are sometimes pretty good but most of the times they are really mediocre.Then again I only read Kafka on the shore,so maybe his other works are better dunno.
>>
File: bitches.jpg (33KB, 447x592px) Image search: [Google]
bitches.jpg
33KB, 447x592px
Murakami is comfy.
>>
He's popular and women have been known to enjoy him.
>>
Do people hate him on here? I think everyone basically agrees that Wind up bird and hard boiled wonderland, and his early short stories are pretty good. He's just not God sent.
>>
>>9853319
>Murakami is an author that I wished I liked
This. I keep getting fooled by his cult status and cover art. I've read Wind Up Bird Chronicle, Hardboiled Wonderland, and part of Norwegian Wood. They all have their moments but on the whole they just feel like absurdist young adult novels.
>>
>>9851674
i've read 4 books by him, and the only one i liked was nowergian wood, the rest felt "more of the same", its like murakami can't write more than 3 different characters
>>
the story about the soldiers being skinned alive in mongolia was top litkino
>>
>>9853404
>He's popular

This is due to the weeb factor, plus there's not much other contemporary Japanese fiction available in English.

>>9854035
>murakami can't write more than 3 different characters

I'd say more like 2 characters, LOL. Plus his books really suffer from bloat. 1Q84 was about 400 pages longer than it needed to be.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.