[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some novels that deal with paranoia or have paranoid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

What are some novels that deal with paranoia or have paranoid main characters?
>>
lolita
>>
File: tommy pinecone.jpg (31KB, 300x414px) Image search: [Google]
tommy pinecone.jpg
31KB, 300x414px
>>9851177
Anything by Tommy P
>>
My Diary desu
>>
Atrocity Exhibition kinda.
>>
OH OH OH A Scanner Darkly that's the one I was thinking of. Literally googled "fiction about paranoia" to come up with that though.
>>
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/13246.Paranoia_in_Fiction
>>
File: c&p.jpg (1MB, 1593x2385px) Image search: [Google]
c&p.jpg
1MB, 1593x2385px
>>
The Tell-Tale Heart
>>
Does drug induced paranoia count? If so far and loathing in Las Vegas is pretty good
>>
>>9851177
Ripley Bogle
>>
Hunger by Knut Hamsun
>>
>>9851177
This Book is Full of Spiders
book starts off with the main character shooting a pizza boy with a crossbow
>>
The Harder They Come by T.C Boyle
>>
>>9852123
no it starts with pissing off a water tower but it's basically 3 sentences apart so whatever
>>
Main kampf
>>
house of leaves

it doesn't only deal with paranoia, the book is written in such a way that you'll feel paranoid about the world around you.
>>
>>9851177
Anything by pinecone as someone else said.
Foucault's pendulum
The illuminatus trilogy
Crime and Punishment
Arguably Catch-22
>>
File: paranoia.png (2MB, 1096x1338px) Image search: [Google]
paranoia.png
2MB, 1096x1338px
I've been toying with the idea of creating a conspiracy-theory-core chart lately. I was having difficulty coming up with enough books featuring conspiracies that are also literary; I didn't want to make a chart of Dan Brown novels.
After seeing this thread I've decided to change it to paranoia. Let me know what you guys think. I'm not sure about some of these. As I more or less just merged my conspiracy books with some suggestions I've seen ITT, some of these might not be appropriate. Libra, for example, worked fine for conspiracy-core, but I'm not so sure if it works for paranoia. Also, the title character of Portnoy's Complaint is neurotic, but is he paranoid?
I'd like to have at least one more pre-20th century novel, so post your suggestions.
>>
>>9851182
/thread
>>
>>9853625
all the copies of mein kampf are gutted or censored by the ADL with complimentary interjections mid-read about why what you just read was racist

so you may not be correct
>>
>>9853826
Good list, but I don't think Portnoy's Complaint is what you're looking for. Knut Hamsun's Hunger kind of fits the bill. Crime and Punishment is just the gold standard for this vibe, I'm not sure what else could be added or improved about it. And there don't seem to be many pre-20th century books about the topic, maybe because you need the massification of urban life that occurred in the mid-to-late 19th century for paranoia to become a thing. You can start to feel it coming on in, for example, Nietzsche, when he says that in the future, those who distrust their neighbors will go voluntarily into a madhouse.
>>
>>9855378
Thanks for the help, I looked into that book and it's absolutely what I'm looking for. Oh, and I also want to read it, for whatever that's worth.
For the most part I agree that Portnoy's Complaint is a bit incongruous with the other books in the list, but maybe that's what makes it worth including? There's like this neurotic and sexual aspect of Portnoy's paranoia that isn't present in any of the other books in the list.
Any 20th century suggestions that aren't in the list already?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.