[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

spanish or french? Which will be more rewarding as a second

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: rosettastone2.gif (180KB, 619x768px) Image search: [Google]
rosettastone2.gif
180KB, 619x768px
spanish or french?
Which will be more rewarding as a second language?
I'm leaning toward Spanish (for Borges mainly).
>>
Spanish is garbage. Learn French
>>
>>9846026

French for the literature of past, Spanish for the literature of the future.

This is not a value statement, just a statement of fact and trend.
>>
>>9846026
Pinche francés, está sobrevalorado. Aprende español.
>>
>>9846026
Not OP but was wondering if anyone knew of any place to help study a foreign language. Something like an online pen pal or someone to just go over the basics.

Took two years of French and want to continue (been a year since). I can decipher a decent amount of sentences.
>>
>>9846026
>mi puta cara cuando soy hispanohablante nativo y estoy aprendiendo francés (además de ya saber inglés lmao)
>>
>>9846026
>second language
top kek
>>
>>9846115
Try Lingvist. Best free resource I've ever found. You also might want to look into the FSI courses (also free).
>>
If I could instantly learn a language it would be French, no doubt. The French poetic tradition is probably the richest in Europe and I'm mad jelly of french speakers. But nearly every European language has a valuable literary heritage, so you won't lack good stuff to read regardless of your choice.
>>
Honestly honestly, Spanish is more applicable to the modern world, but French has a lot more of what you'd consider "classical" lit through the ages from Charlemagne and on. However, in my personal opinion, Spanish lit is just more, well, varied and interesting compared to the same romantic or realist shit you see over and over in French novels. In fact it can said that Don Quixote deconstructs both at the same time in the fucking 1600's. And in the 20th century, you get a bunch of existential babies crying and a certain dying aristocrat as the most significant contribution to French lit but for Spanish there's quite an emergence of Argentine masterminds and others like José Lezama Lima and Roberto Bolaño
So basically, what this guy >>9846041 said
>>
Ask yourself this question
Whats the original language of Don Quixote?
>>
Why not both
>>
French is a beautiful language and it allows a lot of creativity. Paradoxally, a lot of our famous authors don't focus on the "musicality" of their prose, in short we don't have a lot of stylists. Houellebecq is a good contemporary example: he focuses on the depiction of the society, he aims to be precise and easy to read but there's no true work on the language.

On the other hand, you'll find poetry extremely rewarding.
>>
French is way more literary than monkey latin.
>>
>>9846026
as someone with a bunch of french friends, you should learn spanish because it's so much more useful.
>>
spanish is easier. if you master spanish, french will be a lot easier.
>>
>>9846661
In what way is learning to read Spanish easier than French?
>>
Spanish opens the way to Portuguese and Italian.

Therefore, learn Spanish.

Also, Spanish language lit is not inferior to French lit. What does France have? Three playwrights, one genius novelist (Rebelais), a few great ones, an old chanson de geste (Roland), and some great poets. What does Spanish have? Three much better playwrights (Calderon, de Vega, Molina), one genius novelist (Cervantes), an old chanson de geste (Cid), some great poets. It didnt have as many great novelists as France, but the Latin American boom changed that. Today, the Spanish language has Marquez, Llosa, Cabrera Infante, Bolano, Borges and his friends etc. Not only that, but the Latin American world is a lot different from the Spanish world, so Spanish lit gives you many different perspectives which a small country like France wont give you. French-speaking African countries are still too underdeveloped to start producing geniuses en masse like Latin America started doing some nine decades or so ago.

And repeating: it opens the way to PT and Italian. If you can read Spanish, then you can read PT (unless youre very slow-minded, that is), which means Camoes, Pessoa, Saramago, Machado de Assis and many other little-known-but-great writers in the original. For Italian, it won't take you more than three months to be able to read easy writers like Calvino, and certainly not more than one year for you to start Dante (specially because there are many Italian editions which come with paraphrases of the full Commedia, because Italian high-schoolers apparently have a really hard time reading it). I am a native PT speaker, started seriously learning Italian in April, and I will probably finish reading the Purgatorio today.

There is no argument for French other than the vanity argument: French is more chic than Spanish and toilet-cleaners cant speak it. Still, Spanish is a much better language to focus on from a literature point of view.
>>
>>9846711
>Still, Spanish is a much better language to focus on from a literature point of view.
Hardly if literary theory is your goal. To be able to read Lacan, Derrida, Levinas, Bourdieu, in the original > contemporary latin american lit but I'll probably get chewed out for saying as much. Doesnt matter though, I been chewed out before.
>>
>>9846711
Lol
>>
>>9846738
>literary theory
>lacan, derrida, levinas

Not literature.

Literary theory has little - if anything - to offer to those who are interested in literature.

>>9846757
Not an argument.
>>
>>9846026
>learning beaner language over superior frog language
As someone who knows Spanish, I would rather not comprehend the idiotic trivialities that my illegal Mexican neighbors spout with zealous energy, or the inane, lyrical vacuity of mariachi music. You really don't have to partake in this suffering, it's not a fate I would inflict on my greatest enemies.
>>
>Pinche francés, está sobrevalorado. Aprende español.
>Pinche
Pegate un tiro rata mugrosa, por gente como vos me da verguenza ser latinoamericano
>>
>>9846190
>But nearly every European language has a valuable literary heritage, so you won't lack good stuff to read regardless of your choice.
This is the truth, especially if OP is monolingual it doesn't really matter, flip a coin either choice will completely destroy your backlog and give you way more than you will ever sift through properly in a single lifetime.
>>
>>9846711
>Spanish opens the way to Portuguese and Italian
As does French. They are all incredibly realted languages. Sure Italian and Spanish are more related than French and Italian but a French and Italian speaker can still hold a conversation and be understood if they only speak, and can only speak the opposite of the other. The advantages of using Spanish as a gateway to other Romance languages is very small compared to French and should hardly be much of an influence on choice of language.

>Three much better playwrights (Calderon, de Vega, Molina)
>Better than Racine
REEEEEEEE

>There is no argument for French other than the vanity argument
I don't want to have to post a picture of a fedora neck beard you are making that very hard. Maybe some people are more interested in French history and culture than Spanish. Perhaps someone prefers French philosophy, a very long tradition as opposed to Spanish philosophy of which there isn't much. Perhaps some people prefer the phonology of the language. Perhaps an English speaker would like to learn French as it offers a great deal of insight into the history of and use of the English language. Because as we all know the only reason anyone who has ever lived to learn French over Spanish is vanity.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.