[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into Russian lit, but don't know where to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

I want to get into Russian lit, but don't know where to start. Help me /lit/
>>
pushkin
>>
>>9843464
Start with the greeks
>>
File: dostoevsky.jpg (52KB, 364x350px) Image search: [Google]
dostoevsky.jpg
52KB, 364x350px
Start with The D
>>
>>9843464
Gogol
>>
>>9843464
What translation of Chekhovs stories should i read. Thinking of just P&V

>>9843573
This as well
>>
>>9843570
dis

Oh yeah, if you into more contemporary lit, maybe you can check Metro 2033. No joke, the game isent as good as the book. Artyom in the book is completely different from the game
>>
File: 9781780747552_18.jpg (133KB, 650x999px) Image search: [Google]
9781780747552_18.jpg
133KB, 650x999px
Laurus
>>
>>9843464
the language
>>
The hero of our time Lermontov.
>>
File: russian.jpg (1MB, 1364x3391px) Image search: [Google]
russian.jpg
1MB, 1364x3391px
>>9843464
I'm Russian, so I have no idea about the translation quality. Most people agree that Pushkin started Russian literature as we know it and was followed by Gogol and Lermontov. Their writings all influenced each other and everybody who stepped in after them, so I would suggest starting with them if you want to get the whole picture.

The absolute essentials for a westerner, IMHO, are Dostoevsky, Bulgakov and Solzhenitsyn. Probably Tolstoy and Chekhov. I never understood why you guys like these two so much, but they seem to be popular and influential abroad. Picrelated looks like an OK chart, although I'd pass on Saltykov-Schedrin and Tale of the Troika (if you're into sci-fi, try their other works like 'Hard to Be a God' or 'Monday Begins on Saturday'). And, of course, read 'The Gulag Archipelago'.
>>
>>9844532
What about Eugene Onegin translated by Nabokov? I would imagine there is some merit to it even if it is mostly Nabokovs
>>
>>9844544
Watch Tchaikovsky's onegin
>>
>>9844532
Found picrelated in my chart folder, might help someone.

>>9844544
Haven't read it, but I'd guess that it's a really great translation. Nabokov was proficient in both Russian and American cultures and was a talented writer.

>>9844589
Also a safe bet.
>>
File: english translations.png (3MB, 2000x2100px) Image search: [Google]
english translations.png
3MB, 2000x2100px
>>9844674
>>
Sumarokov.
>>
File: farel_dostoevsky.jpg (114KB, 550x664px) Image search: [Google]
farel_dostoevsky.jpg
114KB, 550x664px
>>9843467
>>9843464
Pushkin is overrated and dry for non-Russian speakers.
Start with Notes from Underground by Dostoyevsky
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.