[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>political subtext in contemporary writer's fiction Tedious,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

>political subtext in contemporary writer's fiction
Tedious, hackneyed, pedestrian
>political subtex in previous era's fiction
Daring, driven, inspired!
>>
Do you not understand how the passage of time works?
>>
>>9843403
People have a stake in the politics of this era, so there's emotional response to it
>>
>>9843405
>understanding how the passage of time works
Dull, everyday, passé
>>
I'm not a fan of either but the latter allows for an understanding of the era you're reading, so it's at least useful in that sense
>>
>>9843403
Because today's writers are liberals, of course it's going to be shit.
>>
>DUDE DRUMPF IS LIKE HITLER, 1984 WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE A MANUAL EVEN THOUGH I HAVE MISINTERPRETED THE BOOK, THE BAD GUYS IN HARRY POTTER WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE AN ALLEGORY!!!
>ITS LIKE YOU DON'T EVEN DRAW THE SAME PARALLELS THAT I DID BETWEEN GAME OF THRONES AND OUR CURRENTLY POLITICAL CLIMATE!

Its like you aren't even able to discern the difference between a timeless critique of an idea, theory, or philosophy vs a book that is a thinly veiled critique of the current party in power or a hot-button issue like the LGBT movement (particularly trans rights).
>>
>>9843403
>political subtext in contemporary writer's fiction
Everything is obvious, since we live in it.

>political subtex in previous era's fiction
Nothing is known, every new detail is a discovery.

Fixed
>>
>>9843403
Political references are fine, as long as they have literary value. When I call the political references in Dante "daring, driven or inspired", that's not because I genuinely care about Ghibellines or Guelphs. It is because of the arrangement into the larger frame of the work, the poetical style, or the character paintings. For this reason, I would indeed not value most contemporary political subtext highly, because it is mediocre as literature.
>>
I think the discourse in politics nowadays is driven by outrage culture perpetuated by the inescapable mass media. Everything is hyperbolic so as to be as easily sold to the unwashed masses. When you see the talking points in stuff like comic books or video games nowadays it shows how shallow of an understanding people have of the issues discussed. I just watched Valerian and at some point Rihanna dies with an egyptian queen hat on saying "I have no identity". An expounding on this idea would be interesting but I don't it serves anything else than being a reference to some talking point a liberal uses to draw in the black voters.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.