[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've had a problem with this board for a while. Does anyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1497893180226.jpg (182KB, 962x948px) Image search: [Google]
1497893180226.jpg
182KB, 962x948px
Hello,
I’ve been posting on /lit/ for a few years now, and while I have enjoyed a lot of the interactions and discussions I’ve had, there’s something about the sub that is really starting to bug me. Maybe some of you feel the same.
I was reading a post yesterday, where the OP (16 years old) was asking for recommendations about more ‘mature’ books. He enjoyed reading YA and stuff, but wondered what else was out there. When someone asked him why he would want to do this, OP said something along the lines of he felt ‘ashamed’ to still be reading these kinds of books.
Someone inuslted him for it. Similarly, looking down the thread I could see that many people who had offered recommendations about mature books had been down voted. I then started thinking about threads that I have commented on. There has been so many times where I have tried to contribute thoughtfully to a discussion – just like the 16 year old OP - but because others didn’t agree, I’ve been ignored.
I can’t be the only person to have noticed this trend, and it’s a bummer. /lit/ is a place where we discuss and share opinions about the thing we love most of all – books. It should be a place where we can get inspiration and, hopefully, learn about writers that ordinarily would have passed us by. But instead, I feel like there are a lot of people here that treat the place as a zero-sum game, where they are ‘right’ and you are ‘wrong’ – and insult accordingly. You don’t like my favourite book? - insult. You explain why in a thoughtful, polite manner that encourages further discussion? - Fuck you. Insult. The more this trend continues, the more the sub declines until all that’s left are people jealously guarding their opinions, unable to hear those of others over the roar of their internal rage.
I mean, I try and my bit to combat this. I don’t insult other people’s opinions, even if they are very different from my own, and I do this because that’s not what the function is for.
Which isn’t to say I’m perfect – I’ve got into some heated arguments on here and said some stuff I’ve regretted, but in those instances I’ve tried to apologise because after I’d calmed down, I realised that while we all have different personal tastes – they are just that: personal tastes. They are not objective. In the same way, /lit/ frustrates me sometimes in how it’s focused on the same books (Hitchhikers, TLoTR, Pratchett, Gaiman etc.), but I don’t derail these threads or the people commenting on them, because this is a place where people should be allowed to discuss their passions without getting blue-waffled.
The world is full of people screaming at each other with their fingers in their ears. /lit/ doesn’t have to become another such place.
I have a feeling I’m opening myself up to a world of hurt with this post, but fuck it – I care about the sub, and want to see it thrive.
>>
>>9839480
*gives u 25.6k upvotes*
>>
>>9839480
Tl;dr it for me. I ain't readin' all this.
>>
>>9839490
That describes most of Reddit.

You will get downvotes for your best insight or most honest opinion (things that might be new to people, or might make them feel uncomfortable) and upvotes for low effort memes (things that are unsuprising and comforting).
>>
>>9839480
Nice pasta
>>
>>9839508
Not op, but you can't get fresher pastas thin this. This is fresh right out of reddit.
>>
>>9839480
>sub
fuck you anon at least try
>>
This board suffers, just like the rest of 4chan and the internet at a whole, from twats.

There are people posting here who are not interested in decent debate, there are trolls and bored fuckers looking to kill time by means of getting on somebody else's tits.

And this is okay. Not only because we can't do shit about it, but also because the discussion will prevail in spite of this.

The decent folks will always be there. Just keep on lurking and posting.

Inhale the good shit. Exhale the bad shit.
>>
>>9839480
>unable to hear those of others over the roar of their internal rage.
Stellar
>>
I despise Reddit.
>>
>>9839531
I think these "reflections" posted from reddit then posted here are incredibly insightful to the general community and some individuals even more.
>>
>not objective

Fuck off cuck
>>
This is literally a one day old front page post from r/books on reddit
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.