[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good books about post-Alexander Hellenistic Greece?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

File: hypatia2-featured.jpg (105KB, 298x320px) Image search: [Google]
hypatia2-featured.jpg
105KB, 298x320px
What are some good books about post-Alexander Hellenistic Greece? It could be either academic or pop. Most of the books recommended in the charts you guys made are about ancient and classical Greece.
>>
File: image.jpg (115KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115KB, 640x1136px
It's not a really popular or (imo) interesting period because it lacks the big names and famous events of earlier Greece and later Rome. It's far from dull, it just doesn't leave a remarkable impression, as it's largely a mess of squabbling dynasties broken off from Alexander's conquests, which doesn't really change until Rome enters the world stage mid 3rd cent. bc. 3rd century is basically Roman/Carthaginian history, and the century closes with almost total Roman domination (barring some Greek leagues of alliance, and Egypt), to be solidified in 146.
>>
>>9836518
German scholar Christian Habicht's Athens from Alexander to Antony (Harvard pb) was a little dry, but solid.
>>
>>9836518
Livy, Books XXXI to XLV

Shipley, Graham (2000). The Greek World After Alexander. Routledge History of the Ancient World. New York: Routledge.
>>
File: antigonus-in-action-1024x613.jpg (236KB, 1024x613px) Image search: [Google]
antigonus-in-action-1024x613.jpg
236KB, 1024x613px
>>9836768
>it lacks the big names and famous events of earlier Greece and later Rome

Antigonus in the wars of the Diadochi says wut
>>
what about post alexander egypt
>>
>>9837624
>1 of 4 offshoot dynasties that basically nobody can even name
>not even the more famous Ptolemies

My point stands. Nobody seriously ranks any of Alexander's lieutenants/dynasts alongside the likes of Themistocles, Alexander, the Scipios, Julius Caesar, etc. The dynastic struggles after Alexander are interesting but unremarkable; they have no major players driving noteworthy events as did the Greco-Persian wars, Peloponnesian war, Alexander's conquests, the Punic wars.

Might rank them among, like, the later Macedonian wars alongside someone like Aemilianus. But the Hellenistic age just didn't hold a candle to classical Greece or Republican/early imperial Rome.

>>9837671
Just read a book about the Ptolemies and a book about the civil war between Caesar and Pompey. That takes you from Alexander to Egypt as a Roman province.

>>9837620
This is good for the much later stuff, but unfortunately is broken off from some earlier developments (Pyrrhus) and cuts off at 167BC, which follows through the end of Macedon as an independent (let alone significant) state, but doesn't quite reach 146, with the end of the Achaean (I think) league, razing of Corinth, and (tangentially related) the destruction of Carthage and the almost total Roman hegemony in the Mediterranean. Also it's a Roman history, and makes no claims to describing Greece any more than was relevant for Roman aims.
>>
>>9836768
>>9837598
>>9837620
I'll check these out, thanks.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.