[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to read more German works, is the nibelungenlied

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: dragao53.jpg (69KB, 400x385px) Image search: [Google]
dragao53.jpg
69KB, 400x385px
I want to read more German works, is the nibelungenlied a good starting point?
>>
>>9836026
yes.
Very good.
Every german writer had read it and was somewhat even insignificantly affected/ inspired by it.
>>
>>9836026
Despite being medieval, the nibelungenlied is still very accessible if you speak German or Dutch.

E.g. many sentences are almost the same in contemporary German (Uns ist in alten mæren wunders vil geseit
von helden lobebæren, von grôzer arebeit,
von freuden, hôchgezîten, von weinen und von klagen,von küener recken strîten muget ir nu wunder hœren sagen)
>>
>>9836026
based Sigurd
>>
Ive been thinking of writing a tv series that's essentially the real life story behind the legend of the Niebelunglied. Any essential sources I should look at for the history of the 5th century Burgundians? On a list I have:

https://www.amazon.de/Die-Burgunder-Urban-Taschenbücher-Reinhold-Kaiser/dp/3170162055 (German)
Hydatius’s Spanish chronicle
Chronica Gallica 452
https://www.degruyter.com/databasecontent?dbid=gao&dbsource=%2Fdb%2Fgao (German)
Salvian’s letters and chronicles
History of the Franks by Gregory of Tours
Jordanes’s Getica
Edward Gibbon’s The history of the Fall and Decline of the Roman Empire
The Roman Empire and Its Germanic Peoples by Herwig Wolfram
Walter Goffart’s works on Barbarians
The Invasion of Europe by the Barbarians by J. B Bury
Lex Burgundionum
Legendary Sources:
Nibelungenlied
Saga of the Volsungs
Waltharius
>>
>nibelungenlied
Isn't this norse or something?
I've been following the Beyreuth ringcycle these days and reading the plot. It's full of inconsistencies and silly decisions. It may well be Richard W. fault though.
>>
>>9837427
>Ive been thinking of writing a tv series
How are you gonna manage that?

Write the books and hope HBO picks it up 10 years later?
>>
File: 1452368496133.jpg (147KB, 625x621px) Image search: [Google]
1452368496133.jpg
147KB, 625x621px
>>9838502
It's based on an old Germanic legend, you can also find the same story in Icelandic or old-Norse (Völsunga saga or saga Sigurdar Fáfnisbana (e. the saga of Sigurd the Bane of Fáfnir)). I reckon that the Nibelungenlied is the old-German version.

I'm not sure why there are two names for the same clan (Völsungar und Niflungar) but the story contents are mostly the same; feudal battles, some inheritance issues, huge treasure and the killing of a dragon/monster.
>>
>>9838777
Write scripts for one season and an outline of the whole story and how many seasons it might take
>>
>>9839080
> not writing one episode and then writing a series bible outlining each potential episode, characters, their developments, audience demographic, etc

I mean, best of luck, anon, I'd love to see the Nibelungenlied receive that gritty TV adaptation or something, but please don't approach agents with a script of every episode and expect to be picked up for ten seasons. Write a very focused pilot and a useful series bible (a document that needs concise outlines as to how it could develop as well as detailing your own understanding of the TV/film market) then try your luck, dude.

Also it's probably best to develop your own standing as a screenwriter before tackling something so ambitious. Submit to competitions, visit some networking events, get to know some agents, etc. Also I hope you have a copy of Final Draft (although Adobe Story seems to get a pass sometimes).

All the best to you, anon. On a lighter note, have you seen Fritz Lang's Die nibelungen film? Something like that but modernised with an emphasis on gritty violence could probably appeal to the GoT crowd quite well.
>>
>>9838804
I can read this and for a moment i thought i could read old german but then realized it's byzantine kek
>>
>>9839175
Well I want to write novels mostly, and do history work, so I hope I'd have the credibility by then. I want to have the series go from 406-451 AD, beginning with Gunther becoming King of the Burgundians to the defeat of Attila at the Catalunian Plains.

I didn't have a webm, but if I did in my earlier post I was gonna link Siegfried vs. Fafner from the Fritz Lang movie. I do think it's great and I'm looking to make a historically accurate series. So sadly that means no Fafner, even though the dragon puppet in Lang's film blows my balls off with how cool it looks. I'd like to take more from history than legend. The series would focus more on Gunther (called Gundaharius) than Siegfried.
>>
>>9839341
I found the clip on youtube. You weren't kidding, this looks indeed super cool.
More convincing than any Wagner opera i've seen
>>
>>9836026
Yes, it is. You might want to try Frank Ryder's verse translation.
>>
>>9839457
Problem with Wagner operas is people often don't put on productions with dragons, but they try going a new take on it. So we get fat guys in shirts or weird acrobats put together. It can't be too hard to make a fake dragon!
>>
File: Siegfried1112.27.jpg (129KB, 1308x930px) Image search: [Google]
Siegfried1112.27.jpg
129KB, 1308x930px
>>9841425
I'm more bothered by fat Siegfrieds desu
>>
>>9842671
Lel. I guess it can't be helped. I mean if thy got Jonas Kaufman or something it'd be different.
People actually disliked the dragon in that production, but it's actually a dragon. I like they actually made a dragon rather than some weird interpretation like a fat Buddha or something
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.