[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is the author of Moby Dick. It's his birthday today.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: 1492002000444.jpg (213KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1492002000444.jpg
213KB, 1200x1200px
This is the author of Moby Dick. It's his birthday today.

Say something nice to him.
>>
>>9835760
thanks for writing the greatest novel ever. Yes, better than Ulysses, In Search of Lost Time, War and Peace, and The Man Without Qualities
>>
File: IMG_3702.png (168KB, 806x415px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3702.png
168KB, 806x415px
sick beard
>>
>>9835760
Hi Paul, thank you for all your work with John, George and Ringo
>>
herman is a gay first name
>>
>>9836013
>herman
>her man
>gay
>>
Thank you for writing the greatest novel of all time and the most "really makes you think" short story ever in Bartleby the Scrivener
>>
It's a shame he died completely unrecognized.
>>
>>9835760
Neckbeard faggot
>>
>>9835760
How come no American writer ever since even comes close to him?
>>
File: melville.png (373KB, 359x480px) Image search: [Google]
melville.png
373KB, 359x480px
Stop pausing before coffin warehouses.
>>
>>9836410
becuz 'MURICANz are le dumbs XD

did i mention im a europoor???
>>
It's my cat's birthday.
>>
You all are as bad as twitter. You know he wrote other books, right?
>>
>>9835760
Happy birthday Herm :)
>>
>>9836037
>herman
>herr mann
>Mister Man
>>
>>9835760
I would prefer not to.
>>
>>9836451
Stop watching spermwahles.
>>
he kinda looks like my fat gay cousin
>>
>>9836633
Yes, but none of them even approaches Moby-Dick
>>
>>9835990
Lel
>>
>>9836749
You obviously haven't read them.
>>
>>9836749
I'm actually a big fan of The Confidence Man. It's totally different from Moby-Dick, and not nearly as grand and mighty, but in its own way it's amazing. It's also a really bleak and black-hearted look at America, one that's still relevant today.
>>
>>9836770
I've read typee, redburn, white jacket and Billy budd as well as half a dozen of his short stories.
They are good, particularly Billy buddy, Benito cereno and bartleby, but they are nothing close to Moby-Dick.
>>
>>9836781
The Confidence Man is the novel that's better than Ulysses. Comparing Moby Dick to Ulysses is pointless. They're engaged in different projects.

Pierre is a masterpiece as well. In Melville as an individual you can watch the birth of modern literature. Typee begins as a simple adventure tale and ends with some questions about colonialism; Moby Dick begins with those questions and ends in deeper questions about metaphysics; Pierre begins in grandiose questions about metaphysics and ends in comically cynical disillusion about grandiloquent prose; the Confidence Man concludes with cosmic humor and even returns to the possibility of ethics.

The novel from its birth to the present, played in prescient miniature in the career of Herman Melville.

And you all are wishing him happy birthday and making a idolizing a joke he once told about a fish. No better than twitter.
>>
>>9836800
Notice where those works come in chronologically...
>>
>>9836837
His first and last novels, as well as the two closest to Moby-Dick?
>>
I started reading Bartleby the Scrivener today.

It accurately captures my feelings as an office drone.
>>
>>9836852
Closest if you confuse time with its mathematical progression. But even mathematically, they predate Moby Dick.

Melville referred to Redburn and his next book White-Jacket as "two jobs which I have done for money—being forced to it as other men are to sawing wood"
>>
>>9835760
Dear Mr. Melville,

I finished Moby Dick last week, and I just wanted to say thank you for creating such a glorious piece of art, that all the grandiloquent words you used in your book combined cannot even begin to describe the enormity of the book itself. The whole reading felt like my mind experiencing continual orgasms that got stronger with each one. That's true literature. That's fucking art. I love you.

Kind Regards,
A New Fanboy
>>
Is there anything I need to read before reading Moby Dick?
>>
>>9835760
Nice dick, Henry.
>>
>>9837870
>>9837919
twitter
>>
>>9837888
the bible
>>
File: 1485852990605.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1485852990605.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>9837870
>shitposting this hard

I think you need to get a hobby, man.
>>
>>9836410
Why does no poet compare to Shakespeare?

Moby is arguably the greatest novel ever written.
>>
HERE WE ARE NOW GOIN TO THE SOUTH SIDE
>>
>>9835760
So, should I chase the white whale, or not?
>>
>The other world beyond this, which was longed for by the devout before Columbus' time, was found in the New; and the deep-sea land, that first struck these soundings, brought up the soil of Earth's Paradise. Not a Paradise then, or now; but to be made so at God's good pleasure, and in the fulness and mellowness of time. The seed is sown, and the harvest must come; and our children's children, on the world's jubilee morning, shall all go with their sickles to the reaping. Then shall the curse of Babel be revoked, a new Pentecost come, and the language they shall speak shall be the language of Britain. Frenchmen, and Danes, and Scots; and the dwellers on the shores of the Mediterranean, and in the regions round about; Italians, and Indians, and Moors; there shall appear unto them cloven tongues as of fire.

Europe eternally BTFO.
>>
>>9835760
Love your books!
>>
>>9836451
>>9836732
Stop sharing beds with Christians.
>>
>>9837994
I'm not shitposting, I just expressed myself in an exaggerated way. I don't wish mock Melville or his readers and I honestly loved Moby Dick.
>>
>>9836451
Underrated
>>
>>9835760

>tfw finished Moby Dick for the first time yesterday and now it's my favorite book

happy birthday bro
>>
>>9836679
Beat me to it
>>
>>9836644
Hello, fellow nordic.
>>
>>9840334
Praise Kek, my white brother
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.