[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is supernatural? Is natural–supernatural even a meaningful

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: hmmgirl.png (116KB, 500x465px) Image search: [Google]
hmmgirl.png
116KB, 500x465px
What is supernatural? Is natural–supernatural even a meaningful dichotomy? If gods/ghosts/divinations/mind reading/whatever were proven true they would be part of nature, hence natural. If they were proven wrong they would be fiction. They say the supernatural is things defying the laws of nature, but laws of nature weren't issued by humans, they are merely descriptions of patterns which humans observe in nature. If patterns change, so will laws.
>>
Congrats, you now realize human's like to pretend to know everything.
>>
>>9835414
The natural-supernatural dichotomy only exists and make sense within the context of the abrahamic faiths, in which their Gods supposedly exist outside of (above/super) the world we humans inhabit.
Western science co-opts the dichotomy but redefines "supernatural" to mean "anything that offends my materialistic sensibilities"
>>
>>9835466
>Western science co-opts the dichotomy but redefines "supernatural" to mean "anything that offends my materialistic sensibilities"
Same thing with materialism and supernatural stuff being 'immaterial'. Doesn't matter just mean stuff that exists? If gods/ghosts/etc were discovered, they would have to be made of something. They would have to be set up in some way. Even if it was some exotic matter, some never-seen-before particles, it would still be matter. This means terms materialsm and immaterial are meaningless.
>>
File: 1358008416093.jpg (34KB, 156x196px) Image search: [Google]
1358008416093.jpg
34KB, 156x196px
>>9835460
>human's
>>
>>9835414
Well, then supernatural would be something that breaks the observed patterns in an unpredictable way.
Like, you know, people used to think that rain is a supernatural event caused by the Gods or something.
>>
>>9835597
>OH SHIT SON, SAY GOODBYE TO THAT ARGUMENT, YOU JUST MADE A TYPO
>>
William Bumpington
>>
Friedrich von der Bümpe
>>
Umberto Bumpini
>>
>>9835580
An immaterial medium is being used here to express immaterial thoughts. Someone's forgetting symbols. These words (symbols) represent sounds (symbols) which themselves represent ideas (fiction) which are then applied (faithfully accorded) to the surround 'called' 'material.'
Supernatural is just Latinate Metaphysical. Non-fiction relies completely on fiction to come off, which is probably why it receives the negative (non-). And ALL fiction is meta-.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.