[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This book is on the "start with the greeks" chart,there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

This book is on the "start with the greeks" chart,there are lots of negative reviews on goodreads, disputing its historical accuracy. Is it actually worth reading?
>>
>>9831275
oooh-la-la wee wee in my butt monsieur, of course it is a good read! we Frenchmen are the pears of the pop, the cheese of the plate! monsieur, I impear you to read baudrillard instead oui oui oh-lala monsieur!
>>
I read it. Its definitely a pop-history book. The author tries to form thoeries and make connections to the text based on archeological evidence mostly. I can't really speak for historical accuracy, but its a forgettable book. A quick read though.
>>
>>9831275
Mind sharing the chart?
Don't read that - delve right into the Illiad/Odyssey first.
>>
>>9831275
>are lots of negative reviews on goodreads
An indication of quality tbqh
>>
>>9831275

I'm looking at the reviews and most of the negative ones are just disappointed it's a retelling of The Iliad. If that's really what it is, you might as well stick to The Iliad.
>>
Just ignore those charts, they weren't made by anyone competent
>>
i think that chart is trying to give you some background before reading the illiad because you're going to be really confused otherwise. but i'd expect any good edition of the illiad should have a long introduction that will tell you everything you need to know before reading the poem. certainly the penguin editions by fagles and knox can be read without any prior knowledge.
>>
>>9831919
>>9831275
Plus if you're starting with Edith Hamilton's "Mythology" you get a good summary of the Iliad, Odyssey, and Aeneid to help orient you to the epics, so Hamilton + Fagles/Knox is a good grounding instead of "The Trojan War"

>>9831867
Ignore this man.
>>
>>9831275
>Unironically starting with the Greeks
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.