[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else go through periods where they can't help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 10644367.jpg (85KB, 804x802px) Image search: [Google]
10644367.jpg
85KB, 804x802px
Does anyone else go through periods where they can't help but contemplate whether reading and learning as a hobby are worth it at all?

Don't get me wrong, I understand the benefits of learning and development, but sometimes I can't help but feel like there's no point reading high-brow literature or learning philosophy, theory, psychology, etc. if i'm in all likelihood never going to write my own books - let alone compete with current authors - or contribute any profound new ideas to an area of philosophy.
>>
>>9831166
Consumption will fill you with knowledge and experience; it does much more than helping you copy what you consume.

You really must define "worth it". Happiness is but the rise after a fall; you don't need anything to be happy, and you certainly don't need to read books; at least this would be true if, from the moment we're born, we weren't thrust upon a world that fills us with the desire for "more this and more that", effectively fucking up the whole balance when we realize the truth about happiness.

In practice, philosophy can aid you in the pursuit of piece of mind, so there's that; true, useful philosophy can, however, also be found in works of a non-philosophical nature, of course.
>>
>>9831166
If it's only a mere hobby for you then it might not be worth it. For some of us it's part of a lifestyle. We're not looking towards some imaginary finish line so that we can look back and say "finally, all of my reading has paid off!"
>>
How else would you fill your time?

Literature may not be an ideal hobby, but among the ones you can do almost endlessly (as opposed to exercise, nature walks, etc.), literature is among the best.
>>
>>9831166
Is doing anything as a hobby "worth it"? A hobby is a recreative activity. It's not meant to be productive.
>>
Definitely OP. Reading is a consumerwhore behaviour. Let's be honest, in Plato's day you could relax or stay stable. In capitalism standing still is death. So being a consumercuck is bad. You have to be a producerbull.

And my philosophical views mean I see reading as mere entertainment and philosophies as unfalsifiable posturing judged on fashion. It's a miracle I read as much as I do
>>
>>9831166
I don't read that many books but all the time I spent reading and researching books is worth it for the simple fact that it lead me to Bloom Meridian. I think you just need to find your infinite books. Those works of art that seem to unravel the more you dig into them.
>>
File: Bloom Giggle.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Bloom Giggle.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>9833743
>Bloom Meridian
Someone with good photoshop skills please make this a thing.
>>
>>9833757
Kek what a happy little accident
>>
>>9833766
Just like you right?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.