[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people love to write fiction about shit they don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3161.jpg (215KB, 1148x746px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3161.jpg
215KB, 1148x746px
Why do people love to write fiction about shit they don't know ANYTHING about firsthand?
I.e. horseriding, sailing, etc.
Pic somewhat related
>>
it is impossible to write fiction only about things you know first hand. It is fiction in the first place because it is not based on the first hand experience of any individual.
>>
>>9830154
Horseriding is one of the few things in this world that is as enjoyable as it looks.

The answer to that question though, is that most people are afraid to experience the world but love to daydream and come up with stories about it.
>>
File: Hatchet.jpg (20KB, 236x400px) Image search: [Google]
Hatchet.jpg
20KB, 236x400px
From a plot perspective horseriding and sailing are both ways to move a character between settings in an interesting way.

Generally though it's because they're lazy and shit. Author of pic related actually did everything described in the book with a fucking hatchet including starting a fire.
>>
File: George_Orwell_press_photo.jpg (2MB, 1176x1596px) Image search: [Google]
George_Orwell_press_photo.jpg
2MB, 1176x1596px
Pic related wanted to talk about coal mine workers in Road to Wigan Pier.

So he climbed into a coal mine. Took several hours just to get to site. Steaming hot. Tons of short men, Orwell was 6'2 himself, sweaty and naked or almost naked men covered in black soot and glistening sweat mining coal nonstop. He couldn't even hit the rocks right because the mine was only dug wide enough for a manlet to swing a pickaxe while on his knees with a good bit of momentum.

Would he have ever went in a coal mine other than to research a book? No. Lots of writers are just fuck lazy and somehow get their fuck lazy writing published.
>>
>>9830195
Shame his writing is shit.
>>
>>9830154
>>9830165
the real problem is that they're too lazy to do the research instead. then they look like fools for making up bullshit.
>>
>>9830195
reading Homage to Catalonia right now

Orwell describes inserting his english self into a relatively stale combat scenario of tedium and misery, full of pleasant spaniard plebs serving factions that can't agree on what kind of social structure to attempt to create. He lives on the front lines where the only people dying are from friendly fire because no one's weapons work properly.

> "throughout history, the soldiers of every great battle were fighting while lice swarmed across his testicles"

an idealistic masochist who thankfully wrote everything down
>>
>>9830168
I'm not saying you can't write "So Jon took a ride to Wendy's and hitched his horse in front" without being at least a level 1 dressage rider, but if the goddamned story is going to be entirely about riding: find a horse trainer to give you a lesson once a week for a month so you at least don't sound full of shit to other people who don't even know about riding either.
>>
>>9830154
>Why do people love to write fiction about shit they don't know ANYTHING about firsthand?
I love ships and maritime but I've never been on a spanish galleon or had to work the rigging. I'll bet a lot of people haven't been knights, or vikings, or pirates, or space captains.

If people only wrote about what they knew, books would be pretty fucking boring.
>>
>>9830154

What's a good book about sailing? Not Patrick O'Brien type stuff but just regular racing or cruising?
>>
>>9830154
Isn't that the definition of the romantic?
>>
>>9830394
It's pretty boring when a writer clearly doesn't know what they're tacking about at all, too.
Just because you can make shit up and call it fiction doesn't mean it's any good.
>>
>>9830554
that's true, but just because someone doesn't have personal experience with something doesn't mean they automatically write shit. That's what research is for.
>>
>>9830554
*talking
>>
>>9830405
The GOAT sailing book is The Bird of Dawning
>>
A good writer doesn't necessarily have to know anything about what he's writing about. Hell, a lot of popular notions about some topics are based off what a good story teller wrote about them at one point.

Of course, a bad writer will just embarrass themselves even more by doing this.
>>
>>9830204
Shame you have no taste
>>
>>9830168
So is horseriding enjoyable or not?
>>
>>9830154
because i write about elves and shit
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.