[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't understand Whitman. I don't get his enthusiasm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

I don't understand Whitman. I don't get his enthusiasm for America. Why is it so profound?
>>
pleb
>>
He saw the possibilities of a young, brooding, expanding nation and the principles it represented and stood for: freedom and democracy. He later became disenchanted and disappointed by the war and by slavery, though he was all for annexing all the territory America could lay its hands on.
>>
>>9830143
Read his prologue to "Leaves of Grass," man, it fully reveals the reasons for his passionate hope for America and its people, particularly the splendor of the common men and women.
>>
Hijacking this thread: which edition of Leaves of Grass should I get?
>>
>>9830357
1855. If you like it enough, read the deathbed edition as well.
>>
>>9830366
Thank you anon.
>>
>>9830151

I'm not familiar with whitman's work. But would you say that this 'thoughtful nationalism' (that I'm imagining) is a reason why is a famous writer in america? i.e. would we be talking about him now if he was poo-pooing manifest destiny?
>>
>>9830143
He knew Donald Trump would come and save us all
>>
>>9830631
based walt
>>
>>9830625
no to your first question, yes to the second. We read/discuss him because of the poetry. He was anti-war, being anti-expansionism would not mar his political record. But again, poetry not politics is the reason he is talked about.
>>
>>9830143
c.f Emerson bruh
>>
>>9830143
He says so in his poetry, dude.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.