[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I remember reading a quote from someone (Aristotle or Socrates,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

I remember reading a quote from someone (Aristotle or Socrates, though I'm not sure), which basically stated writing was a poison to the mind, since before long, people will write everything down and memory will be a thing of the past; something along those lines.

I've been journaling for a while now, but I do sometimes feel it is more of a crutch than a necessity; when I read this quote, it really resonated with me. I'm curious what /lit/ thinks about this notion that we delegate too much of our remembering to our pens, instead of our brains.

Also, it'd be nice to find the quote again, and the real person behind it.
>>
File: Socrates[1].jpg (125KB, 850x496px) Image search: [Google]
Socrates[1].jpg
125KB, 850x496px
>>9828582
Here, this is it, I think.
>>
people who think that quote is insightful can't think
>>
>>9828636

it's ironic because he wrote it down
>>
>>9828636
Literally how high do you have to be to say something like that
>>
>>9828653
Wasn't it Plato quoting him?
>>
>>9828650
Care to elaborate?

I do agree the idea is blown a little out of proportion, but the main idea I'd like to discuss in this thread is the idea of memory weakening due to writing.

Of course writing is useful for sharing things, that's not what I'm arguing.
>>
>>9828636
Didn't Eco say something similiar about the Internet?
>>
File: IMG_1166.png (447KB, 526x498px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1166.png
447KB, 526x498px
>writing is an impoverished form of the logos
>>
>>9828686
so you want to be like oriental countries where kids will spend their entire teenage years memorizing the vedas or the koran or whatever? that's why asia never developed critical thinking, they kept the pre-literate memorization model for far too long, it's like saying you're going to delete the maps app from your phone and just use the stars to guide you because gps has made our ability to navigate by the stars weaker, or maybe you should stop buying food at the grocery, because clearly industrial agriculture has removed you ability to grow crops, i mean just think for two fucking seconds you god damn brainlet
>>
>>9828719
If I go about my life writing down every single one of my relevant thoughts, I'd naturally be less reliant on naturally remembering things without writing them down, so I'd be less effective at remembering things.

The problem with your analogy is there is very little reason to remove GPS and industrial agriculture from our lives; the payoff would be too small. When it comes to journaling, you're looking at potentially 10+ hours a week you could be saving if your default mindset allowed you to remember important realizations without having to put them on paper. Another problem with that is that you're dealing with your own thoughts constantly, and remembering everything you think about clearly seems like a pretty good boon to me.

Of course, there are other ways to exercise memory, but what better one than memorizing your own thoughts, since you're constantly dealing with them?
>>
>>9828777
you should listen to "getting things done" by david allen, storing everything in your mind is fucking stupid
>>
>>9828777
>When it comes to journaling, you're looking at potentially 10+ hours a week you could be saving if your default mindset allowed you to remember important realizations without having to put them on paper.

maybe stop writing down every retarded brainfart you have like it's some kind of insight you have to save for future generations
>>
memory is a meme
there are few things where memory will serve you better than having easy access to the same information written down
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.