[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT we post our single favorite novel and describe briefly why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: writing1.png (2MB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
writing1.png
2MB, 1600x1067px
ITT we post our single favorite novel and describe briefly why it earned the title.

Mine is Steinbeck's East of Eden because it has beautiful prose, a compelling story that seldom gets lame and is long enough to immerse oneself in. Mostly great characters, too.
>>
>>9826766
>by dad east of eden
>great american novel
>dad always liked hemmingway and faulkner and fitzgerald
>asks me why i got him it
>its a nice copy
>he dog ears it
ive given up on him
>>
>>9826781
I don't mind dog ears. Makes a book look actually read
>>
>>9826766

Well I'm reading Anna Karenina right now and so far it is well on track to be my new favorite -- I've never felt like literary characters were in the same room as me when reading a book before. So far it seems to me like the single book all aspiring novelists should study intensely for its craft.

But of books I've read and finished... I've read a lot of books, I have so many "favorites" that change based on my mood and taste of the week. Some of these are Under the Volcano, Ulysses, Transparent Things, Forever Flowing, The House of Seven Gables, Middlemarch, and Moby-Dick. I'm more of a poetry and drama (and film) person than a novel person.

Right now I'd say it's The Magus, which may be a bit of a boring and "plebian" choice. I would probably say that I don't enjoy the Bill and Ted quality of philosophizing throughout the book, as it's kind of embarrassing. But as far as creative craft, Fowles is exceptional in his ability to provoke the senses. It is almost impossible to read the book and not have a very clear vision of what the greek island looks like, or what the old man looks like. You feel the breeze along with the character. I'll have to reread it and figure out how Fowles achieves this so transparently.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.