[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay /lit/ can you give me your 5 must read books? I have a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 635427802364395860.jpg (114KB, 620x463px) Image search: [Google]
635427802364395860.jpg
114KB, 620x463px
Okay /lit/ can you give me your 5 must read books?

I have a week of work and I am looking to build up a backlog of books. I normally only read history so I am almost blank when it comes to fiction so I would be very interested in what you all think.
>>
>>9826488
The Brothers K
Moby Dick
Hamlet
Illiad &Oddyssey
Don Quixote
>>
The Holy Bible (Knox Version)
Anna Karenina
Democracy: The God That Failed
The Gulag Archipelago (All 3 volumes if you have the time, Abridged version if you are a pleb)
Doing The Philippines (By: Matt Forney)
>>
>>9826546
go to bed jordan
>>
>>9826488
Cortázar-Rayuela
Hesse-Siddharta
Jostein Gaarder-The Solitaire Mystery
Kazantzakis-Zorba the Greek
Roberto Bolano-the Savage Detectives
>>
File: 2ec.png (572KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
572KB, 600x580px
>>9827912
>Cortázar-Rayuela
>>
>>9826488
the master and margarita
the brothers k
catch 22
the sun also rises
we the living

the greeks are a given so ive excluded them
>>
Brothers Karamazov
Anna Karenina
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
The Sound and the Fury
Dead Souls
>>
This thread is going to turn into a giant pissing contest where everyone will try to defend their own "superior" recommendations.
>>
>less than ten replies in
>already two posts recommending The Brothers Karamazov

Plebs
>>
>>9826488
Read everything by these authors including non fiction:

William Gass
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Gary Lutz
Robert Musil
William Gaddis
>>
>>9826488
If you are interested in Science Fiction buy the collected Stories of PK Dick or the "Foundation Saga" by Asimov. Both paved the way for everything which came after them. If you like to go more into pure dystopian lit check out the usual ones like "Animal Farm", "1984", "Brave New World" and "Starship Troopers". Considering that you're into history; have you read "Lord of the Rings", "the Hobbit" and esspecially the "Silmarillion"? Other historical classics would be "20.000 Miles under the Sea" and "Journey to the Center of the Earth" by Verne if you have a soft space for edwardian nature.

Hope I could give you some ideas without the boring normie recommendations.
>>
File: shadowofthetorturer.jpg (56KB, 318x463px) Image search: [Google]
shadowofthetorturer.jpg
56KB, 318x463px
Instead of five, I'll give you one whole series.
The Book of The New Sun by Gene Wolfe, the first book being The Shadow of The Torturer. Check it out.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.