[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any good books about Native Americans? I just realized the other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (520KB, 1213x1898px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
520KB, 1213x1898px
Any good books about Native Americans? I just realized the other day that despite being an American all my life I know almost nothing about them and want to educate myself. I realize they had no writing so a lot of their history is unknown but I'd still like to delve into what there is.
>>
>>9824283
You killed them all and forcibly taken their lands, that's all you need to know you imperialist yankee piece of shit.
>>
>>9824292
You're mistaken. I'm not a cumskin.
>>
>>9824295
Then you're not an American and you should stop referring to yourself as such
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>9824641
The Mostly True Diary of a Part-time Indian is pretty good.
>>
American:
>Alexie - The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven
>Coulthard - Red Skin, White Masks
>Momaday - The Names
>Momaday - House Made of Dawn
>Neihardt - Black Elk Speaks
>Silko - Ceremony
>Sarris - Grand Avenue
>Welch - Fool's Crow
>Welch - Winter in the Blood
>Winnemuca - Life Among the Paiutes
>Norton Anthology of American Literature Volume A
>Cambridge Companion to Native American Literature

Canadian:
>Boyden - Through Black Spruce (verified not actually indigenous)
>Johnson - Flint and Feather
>King - Green Grass, Running Water
>King - The Inconvenient Indian
>The Exile Book of Native Canadian Fiction and Drama
>The Truth and Reconciliation Comittee Report on Canada's Residential Schools

Colonial:
>Norton Anthology of American Literature Volume A
>Women's Indian Captivity Narratives (Penguin)
>Cooper - Leatherstocking Tales
>>
>>9824828
Wow, they've literally got nothing huh
>>
>>9824828
Awesome. Thanks man. I meant books about Native Americans, not literature by them but I'll check some of these out.

I actually already have that Norton anthology in my garage somewhere.
>>
>>9824641

For some reason all the moralizing about how ebil white people are and how noble, beautiful, and wise, natives are has not made me enthusiastic about native literature. Plus, they drove my Norse relatives out of Newfoundland which was a really xenophobic and insensitive thing to do. You literally had a higher chance of being struck by lightning than being killed in a Viking attack, but the Skraelings let the politics of fear divide them.
>>
>>9824918
Uh, you're right, they don't have very much. There are about 6-7 million Indigenous people left in the US and Canada right now, their literature has been mostly oral throughout history, and the consolidation of indigenous literature as its own genre didn't happen until the late 1960s.

In other words, written literature had no cultural significance for indigenous people except as a part of the culture of colonial peoples who were killing and supressing them up until the mid-20th century, at which point their population was less than the population of New Jersey.

>>9824960
Alright, that's what I thought you meant but I figured I'd drop some names anyway
>>
>>9824997
>all the moralizing about how ebil white people are and how noble, beautiful, and wise, natives are has not made me enthusiastic about native literature
literally day one of Indigenous Lit Class™ we talked about the fact that that is not true of indigenous literature
I've never encountered what you're describing, it reminds me of Last of the Mohicans more than it does anything by a native author. Issue number one seems to be the problems within native communities, some of which are caused by colonialism, virtually never anything to do with white people as a generalized group
>>
>>9825014

You're probably not Canadian. The ruling class really fetishes native culture here. When I graduated college part of the ceremony was translated into some native language, even though few if any of us could understand it. The valedictorian was chosen because he was part native, and his acceptance speech was largely about his being native, and we were scolded about the "continuing legacy of oppression."
>>
>>9824997
>For some reason all the moralizing about how ebil white people are and how noble, beautiful, and wise, natives are

t. someone who has never picked up native literature in his life

White colonists did some fucked up things to the Natives, but that doesn't make Natives saints. Natives didn't invent the Noble Savage meme, whites did. Listen to how Natives feel about themselves, not what white people have to say about them.
>>
>>9825031
well, stop opressing them you snow nigger.
>>
>>9825001
Didn't ask for an essay on why Indians are chronically inferior to white men
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.