[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I would like to read this but I'm not sure what's the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 51BH8Dd2PsL[1].jpg (36KB, 322x500px) Image search: [Google]
51BH8Dd2PsL[1].jpg
36KB, 322x500px
I would like to read this but I'm not sure what's the best translation. This penguin edition seems to have the highest rated reviews on Amazon.
>>
File: isbn.jpg (20KB, 316x500px) Image search: [Google]
isbn.jpg
20KB, 316x500px
>>9823775
Mandelbaum.

>My Soul would sing of Metamorphoses.
>But since, o gods, you were the source of these
>bodies becoming other bodies, breathe
>your breath into my book of changes: may
>the song I sing be seamless as its way
>weaves from the world's beginning to our day.
>>
>>9823848
Seconding Mandelbaum
>>
Mandelbaum ist beste Baum.
>>
>>9823775
The Norton Critical Edition. Always go with the Norton Critical Edition.
>>
Hmm. The Mandelbaum one seems to rhyme more than the others

Does that make it better?
>>
>>9824013
It's not so much the rhyming but rather for a given passage, the word choice helps to make the English flow in a natural way while also giving something vivid.

The text itself feels nice to read - it doesn't have to be decoded an extra step for it to be understood.
>>
>>9824081
Thanks. I agree, it does feel nicer to read. Based on the first few pages.
>>
File: 1499713665621.jpg (891KB, 1400x5316px) Image search: [Google]
1499713665621.jpg
891KB, 1400x5316px
>>9824129
As a segue for other stuff, he has also translated the Divine Comedy, which is likewise recommended. Though, there are, of course, many to choose from, but Mandelbaum is one of the guys to choose. There's parallel examples there for you to give a different feel for Mandelbaum, and he also did an awesome Aeneid translation.

Hope that helps!
>>
Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum! It's go time.
>>
It depends on why you read.

A translation of any work is ultimately suffering in it's impotence of transmitting the full intricacy of the original work. A good translation usually singles out certain aspects.

A philosophical work, I believe, is best read in a precise translation due to the essential importance of a consistent technical terminology. Even though this philosopher might have a strong poetic flavor in his original language, he could well come out dry in translation at the expense of precision.

Mandelbaum is excellent because he is captivating in his vocabulary and flow – you won't get to experience the technical feats of Ovid's poetry, but you will get the old myths told in a very beautiful manner.
>>
>>9824143
>>9824173
Thanks, this definitely helps
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.