[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My "friends" and everyone around me: >Discuss politics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (39KB, 245x321px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 245x321px
My "friends" and everyone around me:
>Discuss politics despite reading, at the most, one pamphlet on political theory in the past five years
>Use "leftist" as an epithet and cudgel to silence anyone who thinks differently (I live in the Southern US, so everyone is part of one conservative, evangelical hive mind)
>"Why would you read philosophy when you have the Bible?"

This is no b8. I don't claim to be a genius, but I feel like I'm living in a black hole where people who read even a little bit cannot survive. Any books for this feel?
>>
>>9823699
Maybe Down and out in Paris and london? it's not like your situation, but I found a lot of solace in its English humor, tales of true kindness, suffering, etc. And it's all true so far as we know.
>>
>>9823712
Alright, I'll check it out. Thanks.
>>
File: racism.gif (851KB, 2970x2400px) Image search: [Google]
racism.gif
851KB, 2970x2400px
>>9823699
you can't survive because unironically holding leftist views is pants-on-head retarded, and even inbred cousinfuckers know it
>>
>>9823699
You should leave.
>>
>>9823761
This board, or the South?
>>
I feel similarly, OP. I have no words for you though, sorry.
>>
>>9823699
Weird, I find that it's everyone who is retarded. Hurf dufr! Drumpf is a Russian puppet! Hurrr durr, muh unrestricted capitalism! Hurr durr, Hillary won the popular vote! Hurr durr, the Jews did it! Hurr durrr, muh suthern heritage. Hurr durr, muh transvestite rights.

It's not one side that's retarded, it's all of you. You are all the vilest, most disgusting wretches. This is especially true for people like you OP...You think you are self-aware and that it's the other "team" that is composed of slime. You are arrogant garbage.
>>
I grew up in similar situations although as I read my views have shifted a lot on most topics. There's just no reason to let it bother you. Read something like the dao te ching, or any other philosphical work really. I find arguing ethics much more interesting than worrying about political reform.
>>
>>9823699
>Discuss politics despite reading, at the most, one pamphlet on political theory in the past five years

Political theory is a meme.
>>
>>9824181
The Jews DID do it though.
>>
>>9823770
both, I guess
>>
File: lqbait.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
lqbait.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>9824181
>>
90% of people in any part of the world are like this. The fact that you couldn't figure that out means you're dismissing men not much simpler than yourself
>>
>>9824181
I really hate people like you. You call him arrogant while all this post is just showing how better person you believe you're from him.
>>
File: Kierkegaard.jpg (49KB, 310x459px) Image search: [Google]
Kierkegaard.jpg
49KB, 310x459px
I have many protestant friends who scoff at philosophy and theology.
Don't they know the book of solemn is philosophy?
Don't they know philosophy means love of wisdom?
Don't they know the New testament was written in Greek a philosophical language?
>>
>>9824426
Let me guess, you're another one of those people who are devoutly Democrat or Republican...

Is accepting criticism with an open mind really that much to ask? Why does it always have to turn into "Oh, you must think you're better than OP."
>>
>>9824458

New testament is dogshit tho
>>
File: 1501002274458.jpg (93KB, 630x802px) Image search: [Google]
1501002274458.jpg
93KB, 630x802px
>>9824473
>>
File: 1494126611147.png (228KB, 590x387px) Image search: [Google]
1494126611147.png
228KB, 590x387px
>>9824473
Yes. I agree.
>>
>>9824476

It's unironically true. Compared to other works of the same time period the Christian Bible is awful
>>
>>9823699
Better than living among liberals. You don't know how good you have it.
>>
>>9824489
The KJV especially is regarded as a literary masterpiece, but you seem to be able to shed some light on to why the Bible is "awful". Care to enlighten us with specifics, anon? What makes the Bible sub-par compared to other works?
>>
>>9824489
Nope. Even if you don't agree with it, the Bible, and the New Testament especially, is one of the most impressive works of all time. It becomes even more impressive when you realize that the books of the Bible weren't written by prophets or God, but by mere human beings, who seem to have created a completely new revolutionary value system, and the adequate poetic language to convey it comprehensively. Honestly, I think that whoever really wrote the Bible must have had some acquaintance with Greek learning.
>>
>>9824501
>>9824517

http://www.academia.edu/31143357/Nietzsche_and_the_New_Testament_Jesus_Paul_and_the_Gospel_According_to_John

Read a book for fucks sake

There is nothing Christian about the New Testament
>>
>>9823699
Sounds like a fucking dream compared to living among smug liberals and uneducated immigrants.
>>
>>9824517
That's a really interesting view, do you have any texts about this subject to recommend me?
>>
>>9823699
you need to move out of your backwater area. I grew up in a super redneck conservative area, then later went to a super liberal area. trust me, liberals are even worse.
>>
>>9824460
That's essentially what you wrote, idiot.
>>
>>9824501
>The KJV especially is regarded as a literary masterpiece
Maybe because it was revised by the best poets and scholars of the time? Praising KJV on the ground of its literary beauty does not equal praising the Bible, for the original Greek Bible is far less poetic and far less well-crafted text.
>>
>>9823699
Rather live in fundie land than nu-liberal land. At least the former has some kind of collective meaning anchoring the community.
>>
>>9823699
>>"Why would you read philosophy when you have the Bible?"
lmao they're not wrong in most cases
>>
Politics is for fags
>>
>>9824181
get a grip faggot, you should learn some self awareness and look at your own shitposts
>>
File: 192284057002202.gif (3MB, 643x480px) Image search: [Google]
192284057002202.gif
3MB, 643x480px
>>9824181

>You are all the vilest, most disgusting wretches.
>>
The God Delusion.
>>
File: 1464574883529.jpg (38KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1464574883529.jpg
38KB, 400x400px
>>9823699
>My "friends"
>>
>>9823699
You don't know any people like these, you just want to see /lit/ shitting on your average protestant amerifat right-winger.
Actually it's way easier to know people like
>Use "fascist" as an epithet and cudgel to silence anyone who thinks differently
>"Why would you read philosophy when you have science?"
>>
>>9824489
humm someone here can read hebrew
>>
guarantee most of the people around you are generally apolitical and that bible quote never happened. you're not as smart as you think you, op, and you have a lot of growing up to do. if people seem annoyed with you, it's not because they're threatened by your intellect. it's because you come off as an obnoxious try-hard whose developed an unjustified level of arrogance from reading a couple philosophy 101 books.
>>
politics was invented exclusively for stupid people, just don't engage in it
>>
>>9823745
>somebody even MENTIONS the world "leftist" in a thread
>autist immediately breaks out the """race realism""" graphs
absolutely pathetic thin skinned morons /pol/ are arent they
>>
>>9825289
"The left" is full of shit is probably his point. It's easy to identify, and a simple skull crushing move is the only one they listen to. Any objection, such as facts, are crudely ignored.
>>
*raises paw*

Your posting has moved me greatly to both anger and sympathy in turn, dearest OP.

I too have suffered the indignity of daily being surrounded by minds of a cretenous cast, their stupidity and ignorance the veritable slings and arrows that Macbeth in his wisdom wrote so eloquently about, and I greatly sympathize with your plight, as it is my own, and suggest that we now join in common cause under the banner of the Brights+.

The other day I was reading "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" by Nitzchi on the public locomotive bus on my way to the local Games Workshop store to fill out my Tau army, when a roidmonkey jock and his orange-skinned wrench didth mock my sensible headgear and trusty duster, thinking mayhaps that I would not hear their spiteful words despite their overloud vocalization.

I turned on them in a frothy rage, calling them exactly what they are, a pair of stupid Christians with no understanding of the sciences or arts. They were much taken aback, and pretended to laugh at me to cover their embarrassment, and several bystanders, witnessing their mortification, likewise joined in on the artificial merriment, so as to spare the couples' no doubt mortally wounded pride, and for that I commend their kindness. Perhaps I was too harsh. The face-saving charade only ceased when I gracefilly debarked at the next stop, some 7 kilometers from my destination, a journey and a half given my most rotund comportment.

Know now that surely this grave injustice will not go unpunished by History, and that their kind is dying like the darkness before the ever-spreading light of Progress that is the dawn. The day shall belong to us! Verily! For now me must content ourselves with our sanctuaries on online forums such as this, but soon reality shall be equally our domain, and us its masters. Our triumph is inevitable for Reason is ours alone!

Edit: a word
>>
>>9823745
even if that chart were 100% true, it would have zero consequences.
>>
>>9824458
It was a subtle refinement of God to learn Greek when he wished to write a book... and that he did not learn it better.

>tips
>>
File: 1472244994032.jpg (370KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1472244994032.jpg
370KB, 640x640px
>holding political opinions
ishygddt
>>
>>9824458
http://biblehub.com/colossians/2-8.htm
"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." - St. Apostle Paul

Keep reading Human Philosophy
>>
>>9823745

I see no reason to doubt most (or any) claims in this picture.

Ok, how does it change anything? If it's true, then so what. We should treat everyone equally and as individuals in any case.
>>
>>9825272
Never said I am a genius; I simply said I can't relate to the people around me because they are close-minded. Come talk to me when you've lived in a an environment similar to mine for twenty years.
>>
>>9826770
You're only hope is to move out anon. Grew up in NC. Read or watch Satantango; even though it is from Hungary or some shit it applies perfectly to the peripheral south.
>>
>>9826797
Your* fuck this phoneposting I'm out
>>
>>9826797
The thread went off track, so I appreciate a real recommendation; I'll check it out.

Also, before I leave this thread for good, I want to clear something up. I imagine that the people getting pissy at me are right-wingers who think I'm smug for portraying them as idiots. That is not what I meant to convey with my post. The thing that bothers me the most about living in my area is that so many people refuse to look past their television sets. They aren't interested in exploring philosophy and literature; and although I don't claim to possess the knowledge of an Oxford grad, I do claim to be more curious and more open to experience than everybody around me.

I am usually a reserved and courteous person, so I don't want to leave the impression that I am a smug teenager. It just sucks to be so alone and isolated.

Tl;dr—I didn't mean to look smug and I don't think all right-wingers and Christians are stupid.
>>
>>9823699
He's right though. Why would you read a book of fallacies and unfalsifiable fantasies when you have the bible?
>>
>>9826352
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians+2
"6 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, 7 rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces[a] of this world rather than on Christ.

9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority. 11 In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands. Your whole self ruled by the flesh[b] was put off when you were circumcised by[c] Christ, 12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.

13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you[d] alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14 having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross."

>"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." - St. Apostle Paul

He's talking about watching out for trash philosophy like Nietzche's work for an example.
>>
>>9826352
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James%203
"13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14 But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15 Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16 For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.

17 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18 Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness."
>>
>>9823699

holy shit, you're friend is 100% right..
>>
>>9823699
Alighiero... Easy on heroin
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.