[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I seriously can't read this book anymore. I don't understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: images.jpg (34KB, 700x1080px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
34KB, 700x1080px
I seriously can't read this book anymore. I don't understand why this book is so beloved. I can't stand this Humbert Humbert character. "Oh, I'm so eloquent and verbose, but I'm also a pedophile who pretty much exclusively talks about fucking this girl". Enough! It's so bad that I pick up the book, and I can hardly get past a single page because I just don't understand what the point of this story is.

In a book like Siddhartha, I get what the point is. You're on a quest for enlightenment. I don't have a problem with books that don't have a clear purpose, but this one doesn't seem to have much purpose beyond the "prose" and the drama.

I am not beyond having someone explain this book to me in a way that makes me appreciate it to the point of being interested in it.
>>
The opening literally tells you what its about.

Humbert is going on a self-indulgent and highly biased rant about his pedophilic escapades.
>>
>>9822442
I bet you're the type of person who needs to "identify" with the protagonist.
>>
Honestly I have a hard time reading any sort of romance novel.
>>
>>9822467
Lolita isn't a romance novel.
>>
>>9822442
It's a simple book about a man being manipulated by a cunt. Yes she's underage, but that doesn't matter.
>>
>>9822472
Like hell. The entire thing is him gushing over the girl and talking about the things they do together. I'm not saying that's bad but it's too romantic for me to enjoy
>>
>>9822482
It's a book about a man obsessing over a little girl and her being bounced back and forth between old men like a badminton. There's nothing romantic about it at all.
>>
why would you have sex with children
>>
>>9822508
>12 years old
>children
>>
I had a hard-on reading that book.
>>
>>9822519
First half of the book: pedo fantasy
Second half: hard reality
>>
>>9822465
That doesn't have anything to do with what I said you moron.
>>
>>9822546
Not a denial.
>>
>>9822505
You mean like a shuttlecock? I mean, you wouldn't say
>back and forth like a tennis
Would ya? this is /lit/ after all.
>>
>>9822530
Yeah he got pretty cucked in the second half
>>
>>9822546
I bet you read for plot.
>>
>>9822565
>implying
>>
>>9822546
that's why he prefaced it with "i bet...", because it supposes something, mein friend
>>
>>9822557
Not even that. It's when he's finally got her all to himself, and has to deal with the typical issues that come with taking care of a twelve year-old girl, her getting sick, her schooling, and the fact that he unquestionably raped her and that she hates him and finds him dispicable.
>>
File: IMG_0081.jpg (33KB, 250x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0081.jpg
33KB, 250x375px
Then stop reading it. No one is forcing you to read the works of a pedophile, the Monarch muff mangler himself, the man who rode schoolbuses with children "in preparation", the abused blowjob giving nephew. Just accept that the controversy is the meme, the author is a shell of the greater masters, ignore the dissent, read Joyce's and Steven Moore's suggestions instead. There exists a point at which you must practice your own volition. Cast away the book if you so desire. It's up to you. It always was.
>>
>>9822442
>reading at this low level
I feel bad for you
>>
>>9822648
>wanting to delve into the works of a pedophile
your literary analysis is top notch i'm sure, please, provide some non-juvenile observations to show to OP your prime mental capacity!
>>
>>9822442
>I seriously can't read this book anymore.

Then don't read it. It sounds like you don't understand it anyway.
>>
>REEEEE CHARACTERS NEED TO BE LIKABLE FOR ME TO ENJOY REEEEE
meanwhile i just finished and am sad that i don't think i'll ever read a book as beautifully written. someone give me some recommendations pls!
>>
It's always a little irritating when poor readers denigrate excellent books rather than acknowledge their own shortcomings. The book isn't "bad". Your reading of it is.
>>
File: 1501345671785.jpg (12KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1501345671785.jpg
12KB, 640x360px
jew gold.
also see jew gold buying all the rap.
>>
I was 20 and missed the hell out of a girl when I read it, thought it was the best book ever written. Now I'm closing in on 26 and remember it fondly, but probably won't read it again.
>>
He dont use the "n" work, thou.
>>
>>9822645
Do you think Nabokov really was a pedo? it would explain why he was able to write so vividly in the mind of one...
>>
>>9822442
Is this bait...?

Are you deliberately trying to act like an idiotic plebian?
>>
>>9822665
An ephebophile who sublimated his ephebophilia with Lepidoptery .

jfc get it together would you
>>
>>9822442
>drama
It's a comedy you dumb roastie
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.