[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>book is written in a language you don't know >there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1497171571229.jpg (100KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1497171571229.jpg
100KB, 900x900px
>book is written in a language you don't know
>there are translations available in 2 languages that you do know
>no way to know which one is better
>>
And what book would that be?
>>
>>9821585
The Name of the Rose.
The choice is between Russian and English
>>
>>9821586
???
name of the rose is eco's most famous work, and I've seen it in no less than 6 languages personally. where the fuck do you live?
>>
>>9821626
Read the OP again you dingaloid
OP speaks Russian and English. He doesn't speak Italian. So if he wants to read Name of the Rose he has a choice of two languages and doesn't know which one is a better translation. Yeah, he could buy it in Afrikaans or Cherokee but that wouldn't be much help.
>>
>>9821683
>dingaloid
HA!
but yeah, you're right. I read that wrong. Haha. I was wondering why he posted in english if he couldn't read it anyway.
>>
>>9821586
Read whichever one is your native language. You foreign idiots can't understand certain nuances of English
>>
>>9821689
>You foreign idiots can't understand certain nuances of English

lel, maybe if you were talking about some actually sophisticated language, but english? why do you think the best english prose stylist of the 20th century was a russian immigrant? how can a polack like joseph conrad become one of the greatest english novelists of all time when he only learned english as his third language and didn't even like it? let's face it, they could do it because english is much less nuanced than the complicated slavic tongues these people learned at home.

so what subtle intricacies of english do you expect to see in a translation of the name of the rose that only a native speaker could parse? it's a laughable idea.
>>
>>9821689
>Anglos think this highly of their """"language""""
>>
File: 0d7.png (5KB, 198x164px) Image search: [Google]
0d7.png
5KB, 198x164px
>>9821689
>he thinks english is a complicated language
>>
>>9821761
nigger a kraut went insane and wrote a literary masterpiece about the process of translating ONE english work into his language
>>
>>9823486
which one?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.