[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions? A lot of these segments feel like they're drawn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Opinions? A lot of these segments feel like they're drawn out deliberately to test the reader's patience.
>>
self indulgent trash. Reading Wallace's books is like watching old people fuck.
>>
>>9817767
I've put it down twice today, just trying to finish the Octet chapter. This thread and my current /lit/ lurking is another break from the constant run-on sentences discussing a point that was clearly explained two pages ago but is going to continue for 5 more.
>>
His worst book by far. Says nothing new whatsoever. Overly cute narrative games with no other purpose than to say "I'm clever aren't I, teeheehee!" Terrible prose, cringe-worthy dialogue. Very shallow analysis of male-female dynamics. Some funny moments, but that's about it. Oblivion is much better.
>>
i really liked some stories, hated others. i found if i read too many in a row he started to grate on me, but individually they were more often great than not. i admire it and i'm glad he wrote it
>>
IMO this is an astounding book, read zadie smith essay on it.
>>
First short story (that about the pool) is one of the best i could have the pleassure to read. The others, some good, some don't.

It's the problem of DFW, there's many bits of genius in a gross content of tedium.
>>
The hippie rape at the end was hot desu.
>>
>>9817757
Really enjoyed it, but that's mostly because I like novel syntax/sentence structure. Seeing all the fancy symbols involved made up for the thematic monotony.

A couple of the stories — The Depressed Person and Octet in particular — really pulled off stream-of-consciousness well, and affected me deeply. The rest were less impactful, but still fun. Only stories I didn't enjoy were Tri-Stan and the future dictionary one.
>>
>>9818565
>>9819455
thanks for correcting the record.
>>
>>9817757
Welcome to dfw
>>
>>9817869
>"I'm clever aren't I, teeheehee!" Terrible prose, cringe-worthy dialogue.

Literally everything DFW ever wrote.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.