[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"If a human being did not have an eternal consciousness,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Kierkegaard.jpg (49KB, 310x459px) Image search: [Google]
Kierkegaard.jpg
49KB, 310x459px
"If a human being did not have an eternal consciousness, if underlying everything there were only a wild, fermenting power that writhing in dark passions produced everything, be it significant or insignificant, if a vast, never appeased emptiness is beneath everything, what would life be then but despair?"
-Fear and Trembling

Haha thanks Kierkegaard, y-you too.
>>
>>9817633
You read fear and trembling?

I got through the Abraham chapter at the start and was struck by it. Then life intruded.

The idea that all of your life can be held back, then pored into this one perfect thing, this thing that you are asked to throw away in your passion.

Striking stuff
>>
>>9817633
Yet another christfag thread in which we pretend secularism isn't a thing.
Remember when we used to come here to talk about books instead of attending mass?
>>
>>9817674
No, I'm not a christfag. I'm actually lamenting that he writes these scathing criticisms of life then says but it's okay because I have God but I don't. So I'm a sad boy.
>>
What are Kierk's best books? Where to start? etc.
>>
>>9817633
Kierk...easy on the leaps of logic.
>>
>>9817937
Soren... easy on the despair.
>>
File: 1385167349225.jpg (99KB, 900x1344px) Image search: [Google]
1385167349225.jpg
99KB, 900x1344px
>>9817674
Feeling oppressed by religion once more are we?
>>
>>9817633
it would be the processes you just identified. You mustn't incite the larger psychological category of "despair", as it doesn't necessarily follow from the alternative processes, in contrast, to eternal consciousness.
>>
File: lookatme.jpg (10KB, 270x187px) Image search: [Google]
lookatme.jpg
10KB, 270x187px
>>9817633
>despair
Last Man right here. I remember on the very first day of uni quoting this to my intro to philosophy professor (spergy, Kripke-wannabe type who also thinks Arrogant Bastard Ale is an witty marketing scheme and therefore a worthwhile brew) and he just replied with, "Life is despair. So what." nearly shat myself.
>>
>>9817737
I would highly reccomend reading Stephan Evans' introduction to Kierkegaard before you read any of Kierkegaard's books. He explains the themes that Kierkegaard covers and a brief description of his life but most importantly discusses the techniques that Kierkegaard uses in his works including indirect/direct communication, deceiving into the truth and repetition.

These are essential to know about in order to comprehend Kierkegaard fully and its usually on reading a second time (and out loud) that you realise how these writing techniques did their work on you the first time reading.

After that I would start with From Sickness Unto Death, which is very much an Existentialist work and eases you into many Kierkegaardian concepts without venturing too far into any particular religious discourse. Then I would read Fear and Trembling which very much is a religious discourse, specifically in discussion the nature of faith. After that you're probably ready for Either/Or which is his Magnum Opus and at times a very difficult read. Finally I would then read Works of Love, a comparatively simple work clearly intended for a wider audience and very direct and plain in its approach but extremely beautiful nonetheless.

Of course you can read as much of him as you want but that's the order in which I would recommend you start.
>>
>>9818043
Well, that order is alright if you want religious Kierkegaard. Either/Or is also a masterful exploration of nihilism/despair and ethics as the choice of the self as a possible solution.

The problem Kierkegaard had with that is that he couldn't find himself in it. So he turned to the religion of his upbringing for salvation.

If you read Kierkegaard because you're depressed and want a way out or at least a deeper insight, I suggest starting with Either/Or.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.