[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I need to read Molloy and Malone dies before reading The Unnamable?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: beckett_postcard[1].jpg (54KB, 280x396px) Image search: [Google]
beckett_postcard[1].jpg
54KB, 280x396px
Do I need to read Molloy and Malone dies before reading The Unnamable?

Please respond
>>
File: 20170726_224238.jpg (2MB, 2118x1568px) Image search: [Google]
20170726_224238.jpg
2MB, 2118x1568px
No.
>>
Of course you don't *have* to, that's silly.

But why would you only read The Unnamable? It's worth reading all three consecutively.
>>
>>9815080
You don't, but I don't see why you would want to skip them.
>>
>>9815131
Because I'm really excited to read The Unnamable and I was wondering if I could start with it. Then I'd read the others afterwards. But I assume there's a reason he put it last. I'm sorry.
>>
>>9815080
You don't need to but you should, even though the continuity is no more than a thematic progression
>>
>>9815137
>Because I'm really excited to read The Unnamable

Why? What makes it more alluring than Molloy or Malone Dies? If you're interested in Beckett's middle prose style you'd probably like all three novels. It does hurt to read that much consecutively, but it's worth it.
>>
>>9815137
>But I assume there's a reason he put it last.
There really isn't.

>I'm sorry.
Jesus, man, buck up. I wasn't being mean to you.
>>
>>9815299
My girlfriend said it's the greatest piece of literature produced in the last 70 years
>>
>>9815307
Didn't mean to imply that you were being mean, man. Sorry about that
>>
>>9815309
Well are you familiar with Beckett & his style at all? Otherwise just plunging into The Unnamable is an invitation for disaster; most readers, even of serious literature, commonly will falter or quit on Beckett's middle-era prose. Malloy and Malone Dies slowly elide you into it.

>>9815316
>Sorry about that
Jesus Christ, man.
>>
>>9815359
Yeah, I've read WFG and (read and) seen Endgame.
Didn't know we weren't suppose to apologize. I genuinely am sorry
>>
>>9815370
You're "genuinely sorry" toward someone on an internet board? Do you realize what you're implying? Do you value the internet that much?

I don't mean to give you a hard time, but this is turning into some kind of a funny game.
>>
File: 3QK8XKs.jpg (24KB, 226x239px) Image search: [Google]
3QK8XKs.jpg
24KB, 226x239px
>>9815474
>Didn't know we weren't suppose to apologize. I genuinely am sorry
I believe this is your leg being pulled here, my unapologetarian comrade
>>
>>9815080
What the other guys said: you don't have to, but it's recommended. I would also suggest reading Murphy plus some of the related short stories first, and following up on the Trilogy with Watt, but that's just me.
Also try reading aloud for extra aural pleasure. You'll discover the odd metrics and embedded earworms quickly enough that way.
>>
You really should, anyone who read them in random order could arrange them in the "correct" order. There's a clear vector there.
>>
>>9815137
Just read a few pages to let the dopamine rush out, then you'll feel the excitement anymore and can start with Molloy
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.