[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You think $90 to get a "Masterclass" on writing is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Untitled.png (978KB, 1300x828px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
978KB, 1300x828px
You think $90 to get a "Masterclass" on writing is worth it?

They've also got David Mamet teaching a course on dramatic writing, also $90
>>
>>9812956

James Patterson is a very successful author (in terms of $) at least, so he probably has some wise things to say (about making $), but honestly for 90$ it's probably better to just buy a bunch of good books on writing instead of listening to this hack.
>>
>>9812985

How about the David Mamet one? Guy has a Pulitzer prize and a Tony
>>
>>9812956
I know people who have done these masterclass things in other unrelated fields. They're generally just super common sense lectures that don't delve into anything of immense depth. Basically just skims the surface of whatever the top is.

>>9812985
> it's probably better to just buy a bunch of good books on writing instead of listening to this hack.
Pro-tip: do this.
>>
>>9812956
you'll probably learn one or two "duh" things, things that are obvious but you've overlooked, I dunno if that's worth 90 dollary doos, depends on how serious you are about writing I guess
>>
>>9812985

>buy a bunch of good books on writing

Any recommendations?
>>
>>9812956
Has anyone ever uploaded these videos? I really want to watch the Kevin Spacey one but I don't want to shell out a $100
>>
>>9812956
Dude, James Patterson is a old writer with 100m in his bank account.
Not giving him 90$ for a 2 hours """""lecture""""" as a broke budding writer is just basic common sense.
Regardless, most lectures on M Masterclass are downright scams, designed to milk hopeful, ambitious and naive students out with worthless content, with absolutely no pedagogical value.
>>
>>9812956
don't people record these and distribute them for free
>>
i guess if you want to pay someone $90 to tell you to believe in yourself and keep writing.
>>
>>9813257

People do a lot of illegal things, anon.
>>
>>9812988

I'd pay $90 to hang out with Mamet for a few hours.
>>
>>9812988
>people this stupid exist
>>
>>9813059
Ye here

On Writing -- King
Elements of Style
On Writing Well -- Zinsser
Writing Down the Bones
Bird by Bird
Story -- McKee
Writer's Journey
Art of Fiction -- Gardner
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers
Plot and Structure -- Bell
Characters and Viewpoint -- Card
Stein on Writing
Story Engineering
Steering the Craft -- Le Guin
Wired for Story
Writing Fiction -- Burroway
Anatomy of Story
Style -- Williams
Scene and Structure -- Bickham
Henry Miller on Writing
Telling Lies for Fun and Profit
GMC
Invisible Ink
Art of Language Invention
Plot Versus Character
The Art of Character
Violence: A Writer's Guide
Writer's Guide to Psychology
>>
>>9813283
My dad sees him almost every day at his lunch spot. I can ask him the name of the place and you can go stalk him.
>>
>>9812988
Mamet's famous memo summarizes his take on dramatic writing:

>http://www.slashfilm.com/a-letter-from-david-mamet-to-the-writers-of-the-unit/

There is further detail in his almost always interesting books of essays and nonfiction, but this is the quick rundown.
>>
>>9813072
https://youtube.com/watch?v=0U0SUsXrgCM

Here you go m8
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.