[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been skimming some language textbooks recently (Sa

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0784.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0784.png
1MB, 750x1334px
I've been skimming some language textbooks recently (Sanskrit, Latin, French), and I keep coming across the same grammatical concepts: tense, case, person, etc.

I'm now thinking it would be more profitable to study grammar in English before trying to learn a second language.

Can somebody recommend a book on grammar that will help me when learning new languages?

I'll link to this folder full of language textbooks in return:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk
>>
>>9812716
>I'm now thinking it would be more profitable to study grammar in English before trying to learn a second language.

Well.... English doesn't have cases, and it barely has tense and person.

So yeah, brush up on grammatical terms and such, but be advised that case languages are simply harder to learn than other languages, especially Classical languages.
>>
>>9812743
My problem is more that I'm not entirely sure what these concepts mean and what their place is in the overall structure of a language.

That's why I'm looking for recs for a good introduction to grammar or linguistics.
>>
>>9812779
Here you go:

https://www.uop.edu.jo/download/research/members/oxford_guide_to_english_grammar.pdf
>>
>>9812743
>Well.... English doesn't have cases, and it barely has tense and person.

It's amazing that people who have literally no idea what the fuck they're talking about are so quick to dole out their shit advice.

OP you don't need to make a formal study of grammar. The "grammar concepts" you mentioned are basic shit that you will pick up as you go into your target language.
>>
>>9812743
>case languages are simply harder to learn than other languages, especially Classical languages
I actually really love case languages because words instantly click/parse into place as you read, hear or speak a sentence.

>>9812716
The main downside is that learning the cases is a very steep wall to climb if you go about it by plainly learning the inflexions and preposition by heart from a grammar book, which isn't something I recommend doing. Cases (or grammar in general) are supposed to make the meaning of sentences clearer, but all grammar books do is confuse you with a wall of rules which can never make instinctive sense to you. It's somewhat like learning fixed, preformatted expressions to use in situation X like how tourist guides work with their "Where is the hotel, please?"s and then all you know is how to ask for directions to a fucking hotel but you're completely lost when it comes to anything else. Do native speakers learn grammar lists by heart and look words up in their memorized tables like a computer when they speak to eachother?

If fluency is the goal then I'd recommend you either
1) use grammar lists as a reference or
2) build the grammars yourself as you learn the language and matching them to grammars that other people made (esp. in textbooks)
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.