[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's wrong with going WHAM! on human experiments now then

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: crispr.gif (2MB, 480x282px) Image search: [Google]
crispr.gif
2MB, 480x282px
What's wrong with going WHAM! on human experiments now then set the e t h i c s later once we've master the secrets of genetics?

I'm talking in the context of CRISPR and genetic modification specifically embryo editing.
>>
>>9812252
Uhm that'd be inhuman and literally what Hitler did. Not to mention it'd set a terrible precedent for the formulation of law and human rights.
>>
>>9812252
Read pic related, its by one of the discovers' of Cas-9's ability to cut.

Basically she breaks it down like this.

Ethically good:
Modifying crops for sustainability
Attacking Cancer cells
removing damaged genes in live individuals to cure disease

Ethically bad:
Bringing back dinosaurs and mammoths by editing chickens and elephants (and the like)
Editing the human germline and changing evolution
Killing all mosquitos by removing their ability to reproduce (phages)
Changing the human genome for aesthetic or social purposes inv vitro
>>
>>9812252
Thats basically what we're already doing
>>
>>9812263
Except no one is doing human experiments or pushing the possibilities because white knight countries are against it
>>
>>9812263
No it isnt. Crispr isnt inserting genes to modify single genes or gene strings. Its changing the genome by editing the actual "text" ala Notepad+ using our cells ability to mutate to fight off viruses.
>>
>>9812267
Literally untrue, China is already doing it, and it isnt even illegal in the US.

In China they are using human embryos with 3x the amount of chromosomes so they can escape the ethical concerns of the west, but in doing so have created something worse.
>>
>>9812252
Reddit, I presume? What's wrong with doing something that might be wrong and then thinking about wether it was wrong after we have done it?
>>
>>9812261
>ACTG yellow
Clever
>>
>>9812267
>Except no one is doing human experiments

People do human experiments all the time, it's just voluntary and people get paid large amounts of money.
>>
>>9812432
I generally agree, but deciding to kill all mosquitos leaves little room for "fixing".

Also, using a genetic modification to get rid of say, huntingtons, distributing a vaccine, and then finding an unintended consequence is a huge fuckup
>>
>>9812252
http://www.businessinsider.com/scientists-edit-dna-human-embryos-crispr-first-2017-7

ayyyo its topical
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.