[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey I don't usually come on /lit/ but I've been getting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: School of Athens.jpg (856KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
School of Athens.jpg
856KB, 2000x1000px
Hey I don't usually come on /lit/ but I've been getting interested in Philosophy, so what are some good philosophy books to read. Preferably something for a novice, or someone who is just looking into it as a hobby.
>>
>>9810767
The bible
>>
>>9810767
Begin with Hegel's phenomenology of spirit.

But seriously here are some books.

>An Introduction to Philosophical Analysis. Hospers
>The Central Questions of Philosophy. Ayer
>Meditations. Decartes
>An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding. Hume
>Obligatory start with the Greeks.
>>
>>9810771
Already read parts of the New Testament, and a one or two books from the Old Testament. I enjoyed it, actually really enjoyed reading the New Testament. Especially following the birth and death of Christ, of course it got a bit boring after his death and then it turns into the Apostles preaching on and on.

Revelations had the most imagery though, and really enjoyed reading it.
>>
>>9810767
What's up with all of these "new philosophy guy" threads today? Just go fucking check out the Analects. Stop being a pussy.
>>
>>9810790
So you recommend I take a look at Chinese Philosophy? Alright. And as for the boom in Philosophy threads, I don't know. Maybe people are just genuinely interested in the subject and want to read more about it.
>>
I'd start with Plato, he's style of writing is more interesting than most philosophers for beginners.
Also don't be afraid of getting familiar with philosophical ideas from reading textbooks/overviews.
>>9810790
Nah, unless you're chinese and still maintain the tradition of ancestor worship, I can't see how it'd be interesting to read.
>>
>>9810816
It's memes all the way down right here folks.

>wouldnt be interesting
Says the most uninteresting man in this post
>i havent read therefore i cant see
>>
No, no, no, don't do any of that. Do this instead: read A New History of Western Philosophy by the great sir Anthony Kenny. It consists of four volumes. While you read it you will take note of the authors you like the most, or that challenge you the most, and their main works, then you will read those progressively. It is absolutely necessary for you to get the bird eye view that the Kenny provides, in order to avoid stumbling around cluelessly for a good while (you can substitute it by Copleston's, but I find Kenny rather adequate, even if Copleston is more exhaustive. Avoid Russell's history, he misreads some authors and Kenny is clearer.
>>
>>9810855
>four volumes
>intro to philosophy
Kys
>>
>>9810867
Intros to philosophy tend to be useful when entering philosophy. Kenny's not an intro, though.
>>
>>9810835
?
I've read the analects since it's a part of my culture, not sure what westerners are supposed to take from it and frankly it pales in comparison to western philosophy.
>>
>>9810884
What did you gather from it?
>>
>>9810767
Start with the trial and death of Socrates. It's short and easy to understand, and will familiarize you with the writting of Plato and the character of Socrates. From there read some more Plato, since he's basically the bedrock of all western philosophy.
>>
>>9811374
this, then later you read Wittgenstein to find out why he was a faggot
>>
>>9811938
(Wittgenstein)
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.