[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to increase my knowledge of the American Revolution. What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: americanrevolution.jpg (491KB, 640x461px) Image search: [Google]
americanrevolution.jpg
491KB, 640x461px
I want to increase my knowledge of the American Revolution. What are some great books to read for the subject? Specifically the ideals of the founding fathers.
>>
File: 1524989.jpg (50KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
1524989.jpg
50KB, 317x475px
>>
>>9806015
I'd go straight to the sources. Common Sense, The Federalist Papers and The Anti-Federalist Papers. Letters of Thomas Jefferson and John Adams
>>
I heard 1776 by David McDonalds was good
>>
Read Moldbug, or >>9806024

They provide a sobering demystification of the Rebellion.
>>
Ron Chernow's bio of Washington is fucking sexy
>>
File: george-washington-0217-800x493.jpg (54KB, 800x493px) Image search: [Google]
george-washington-0217-800x493.jpg
54KB, 800x493px
>>9806015
I started reading a lot about the Revolution a couple months ago and it's been a blast so far. I'm sure you'll find the subject very rewarding. First, like any historical period, I think you should go with reading an overview of the whole event. I would recommend A.J. Langguth's "Patriots: The Men Who Started the American Revolution". He goes over the causes of the war from 1761 to the end of the war and a little beyond that to 1783. He touches on many of the major events and battles, like Saratoga, Yorktown, the signing of the Declaration, the Boston Tea Party, and so on, all fairly concisely but with a good amount of information in there.
After a book like that you should probably go after something in particular that interested you. Biographies are a great way to understand the ideals of the Founding Fathers, and if it's a biography of decent length you should always be able to get plenty of information from it about other figures that the biography isn't about. Three I can recommend are Ron Chernow's "Washington: A Life", David McCullough's "John Adams", and H.W. Brands' "The First American: The Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin." (There is also a short biography of Washington by Joseph J. Ellis called "His Excellency," which serves as a speedy introduction to Washington which is great, but at a paltry 275 pages you would probably be better off reading something longer like the above mentioned Chernow biography.)
Alternatively, you might be interested in Gordon S. Wood's "The Idea of America: Reflections on the Birth of the United States." It contains about a dozen essays that are mostly centered on what the Founding Fathers believed in, and some of those essays are, I think, invaluable for understanding the time period, and they touch upon things that I haven't seen in anything else thus far. There is also a book by Bernard Bailyn called "To Begin the World Anew: The Genius and Ambiguities of the Founding Fathers," which, while not as illuminating as Wood's book, is a little less than half as long and still has some worthwhile information in there.
>>
>>9806065
Thank you so much these recommendations are spot on what I was looking for.
>>
Best book on the actual war is the two-volume The War of the Revolution by Christopher Ward, long out of print IIRC
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.