[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you people have any prejudice against a certain genre, writer,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

Do you people have any prejudice against a certain genre, writer, style or so on? If so, is there a rational reason for such?

Personaly, I have grown a distaste for 90% of YA books. I personaly find them boring and repetitive, tho some of them I do realy enjoy.
>>
I have a prejudice against the wanky references of the canon. Completely lifeless
>>
>>9802447
you sound like a girl so i'll reply

I hate self-help books. They reek of self-pity and condescension. Interestingly, people who read and actually manage to finish these books end up hating the genre and the authors. So it's OK I guess. It's a self regulating cancer.
>>
>>9802673
Oh, I too hold a particular prejudice against such books. Tho I never realy read any,
>>
Self help books, Leadership books, PC culture books.
My last office job one of the managers got this book for all the other managers written by some shitty sales manager that talked about how sales managers were modern day warriors. Every fucking morning at 8 AM these fuckers would come in screaming and hooting, pounding their chests and just making a mockery of everything. But they were doing it unironically.

I'm so glad I quit that shit.

"YOU DON"T WORK IN AN OFFICE ANON?!?! ARE YOU LIKE NOT TRYING TO GET MARRIED TO A WHORE AND LIVE IN THE BURBS?!"
>>
>>9802681
That's sound beyond cringe...
It's like commercials trying to use memes...
AND FAILING AT.
>>
>>9802681
Sounds sincere as fuck. I love it.
>>
>>9802698
One time before I ended up quitting I told my manager I would strangle him.

>Manager sits directly in front of me
>Happens to also be the douche who got all the books
>He's been rubbing me the wrong way since I got the job
>Hide power levels because have bills and loans
>One week generated 58k in sales through a big hospital contract
>Met goals and decided to take a step back, do some research on a new client as opposed to hitting the phones
>Manager slams his hand on desk asking me "What's going on anon!? Why don't I hear you talking!? Don't you have the WARRIOR SPIRIT!"
>All the managers "hoot hoot hoot"
>Tell him "I just closed, money is rolling in, doing some research thanks"
>Slams his hand again
>THAT"S NOT WHAT WARRIORS DO"
>some more hooting
>I'm boiling at this point
>My eyes go crazy like my dads every time he's the beat the shit out of me as a kid or fucked someone up
>Lean in
>"I could always strangle you, that's what warriors do right?"
>He leans back "what"
>I laugh and say "Just kidding" while still looking at him like a loon.
>he nervously chuckled

He stole some clients from me a month later so I quit.
>>
>>9802719
I don't believe you
>>
>>9802727
I don't care. It happened. I fucking hated him. He knew it and tried to purposefully get me riled up.

He was fucking me over all the time. That office was the most corrupt, ethically and morally bankrupt place I've ever worked at. Everyone was stealing 24/7, everyone was blowing lines and fucking eachother's wives.
What the fuck was he gonna do? Sure as hell wasn't going to tattle seeing as how I caught him with coke in the office and saw him trying to cheat on his fiance.

I'm a very nice person. But I was also raised by Eastern Europeans. Most people who see me before meeting me think I'm a scary guy. And I can be.
>>
>>9802719
If this is real I fucking love you.
>>
>>9802734
Eastern Europeans look scary because Western Europeans are soft
>>
>>9802447
>>9802674
why do you only use one l on your lly's?
>>
>>9802787
...what do you mean?
>>
>>9802796
>personaly
>realy
>>
>>9802806
Oh, sorry. My english is a bit rusty, so I may mispell from time to time.
>>
File: BOOMBOOMCRASH.jpg (54KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
BOOMBOOMCRASH.jpg
54KB, 564x564px
>>9802447
I hate the contemporary "bloggy snarky" style that infects journalism aimed at those under the age of 30. Its frustrating because it often accompanies some ok humor and decent writing ability but the tone ruins it. Comes across either as the shrill complaints of a harpy or ironic smugness. It's even worse when this style leaks into novels. Scalzi's horrible Redshirts is a good example.
>>
>>9802880
I read one blogger book and I actualy liked it. But majority of blogger books are so trash...
But, I think I understand your feeling over such style; they sure aren't the greatest.
>>
>>9802681
>>
It'd be easier to list what I'm open to. Everything's closed til a benefit is found which exceeds time invested, as there's only around 50000 hours left in my life which 60% will be spent on biological functions. Still haven't read a book written by a black person or anything in the years 1500-1901.
>>
>>9803134
Have you ever given thought if not thinking autisticaly about efficiency and benefit would actually be more efficient and beneficial? I hope my post is efficient enough for you to read.
>>
>>9803134
Reading is a biological function, if you do it right.
>>
I don't like authors that posture as being cultured like henry james or longfellow.
>>
>>9802719
God bless you anon, you made my year.
>>
Anything containing cultural Marxism
Female authors
>>
>>9803152
>trynna rek poe this late in the game
>>
>>9802447
Well, yeah, women are bad writers all around: In non-fiction, they're too emotional and unreasonable to give more than adhoc insight into any subject.

In fiction they aren't very good either, since they seem to lack any sort of creativity or discipline to worldbuild properly.

It has happened with everything I've gotten into so far: painting, cooking, electronics, fashion, physics, math, storytelling, and so on; men are just better than women at thinking. By my experience, I'd wager the average female is much smarter than the average male, but the smart male is leagues ahead of the smartest female.

They're pretty, though, and nothing makes my dick more diamonds than a chick who can actually logic.
>>
>>9803211
stop reading shit females. esp non-fiction because if you've only come across shit females and you read males in that genre who you think are you, by non-fiction you mean self-help and pop-sci trivia mishmashes and maybe wwii biographies. there're plenty of good ones, in non-fic particularly, and you need to set better standards for yourself if you dabbled in the pop-sci tier/sjw/muh secret bullcrap and wanted to place the problem on gender.
>>
>>9803220
>who you think are GOOD
fucking fingers. seriously tho, read better women or you wind up with only insipid whores who probably can run better profit on you than a YA author with bad storytelling and long legs
>>
>>9803223
By non-fiction, I was actually more leaning towards philosophy, science and math books, I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. I don't particularly like biographies, and I think self help books are useless.

> if you dabbled in the pop-sci tier/sjw/muh secret bullcrap
Jesus dude, that has nothing to do with it. The fuck is even a "muh secret"?
>>
>>9802447

I did, but now I'm 27.
>>
I hate the fantasy genre. It's always the same old shit to me.

I don't really mind sci-fi, but I prefer when it's all humans like Dune or if the aliens aren't always big bad evildoers out to kill humanity.

I despise anything to do with zombies.

Can't care for horror novels. I don't find them scary or thrilling - just boring.
>>
>>9803223
Like I said, majority of YA's are so bad. And seeing majority of YA writers are women, I would say the problem is in the fact that a bunch of milenials take this garbage as the next comming of Voltaire. The writers do works for people who aren't used to read more dense and complex shit, like the classics, so when they came to read the classics they be like "uh, I can't understand words", "uh, what a sexist,mysogenist, racist, xenophobe", "why can't i read clasikz?"; YA writters offer a product that, being them aware or not, is very similar to soap operas in many aspects: dull, repetitive and in general, not interesting. A few YA books escape from this, and those who escape, usualy don't end on the New Yorkers list of best reads.

>>9804411
Oh boy anon, not even LOTR or ASOIAF? I am suprise, never saw someone saying it hates fantasy, usualy is quite the contrary: hates everything except fantasy
Tho the second one may be a psycological condition
>>
>>9804712

I don't really have any favorite genre. I will read whatever is generally interesting to me, regardless of genre. I've just never been able to get into fantasy.

I tried ASOIAF years ago (this was long before the HBO show) but I pretty much only cared for Stannis. The Lannisters felt way too cartoony and the Starks were insufferably boring - so much so I actually like the Red Wedding.

If people like fantasy, that's fine. But it's just not my cup of tea.
>>
>>9804712
Back to r/eddit
>>
Criminal fiction ; 95% of the time it's completely void of any artistic or literary merit. And this applies to movies too.

The only reason you should read such a book or watch such a movie would be to masturbate to it.
>>
>>9802447
I think less of people (specifically young men) who say they like Joyce, Dostoevsky and similar writers. Just screams pretentious.
>>
File: iStock_000050131992_Medium.jpg (730KB, 1620x1185px) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000050131992_Medium.jpg
730KB, 1620x1185px
woah what do you mean 'you people'?
>>
>>9803150
Saving this for stupid aphorisms threads.
>>
>>9802447
Poetry in general. Seems like it's just melodramatic prose with line breaks
>>
>>9802734
>I was also raised by Eastern Europeans. Most people who see me before meeting me think I'm a scary guy.

Probably the prisoner haircuts, squatting and track suits
>>
>>9802447
penguin classics
>>
>>9805065

never gonna make it
>>
>>9802447
>Do you people have any prejudice
I have no prejudices only informed elitaristic asthetic judgements.
>certain genre
Where too start on this one hard to elaborate, let's put it that way i have a suspicion against anything not of the classical cannon, also aginst the egalitarian spin of several ostensivly classical french writters.
>writer
As a general rule little of literary worth has ever come from females, however there are some exaptions, but in most cases said groups literary output is riddeled by difuse guilt, their characters are guided by neurosis and apathy towards the wonders of the world and a total lack of genuin introspection leaving them back painfully unware of their own self absorbtion. All in a enviourment seemingly guided by banlity or absurdity, which the protagnists are pretending to be inspired by. But instead of great deeds to come, lunch another character assination plot against a fromer friend.
>style
Those "homme de lettre" who utter words like humanity, world peace, "yolo" (considered a word by many of this language degenerating hoodlums). Frankly almost everything any given postmodernist has ever produced.
>>
>>
>>9805403

please post a picture of yourself
>>
>>9804750
It's okay.
But how dare you say shit 'bout muh Stark?! Oh god I miss Ned so much...

>>9805065
Fun fact, I made a topic time ago asking for poetry suggestions. I too seen to be having trouble getting into poetry

>>9805383
Why Penguin Classics?

>>9805403
That's a very deep anwser... I like it, anon.

>OP is a fag for keep posting in this topic

I must admit that I have a weak spot over love storys and edgy shiet, even if it's YA. I am in the middle of "Everything, Everything" and I already saw some pretty cringe stuff, but I still like it, cause has some lovey-dovey plot.
I also say that I realy love "The Coldest Girl in Cold Town" because of the edgy plot... Oh, and the vampires.
Yeah, I have a realy weak spot for vampires too...
But I blame the Twilight saga for that... I love Twilight...
>>
Medieval anything because no one bathes. All I do is picture how gross everyone must smell. I liked Shogun though. Lots of baths.
>>
>>9802447
I have become incapable of enjoying any fiction. I think the last fiction book I finished was Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. since then it's been memoirs, philosophy, social science, history, and theology. I just don't have the patience for getting invested in all this make-believe shit only to find out that the book would merely be "entertaining" rather than offering some kind of intellectual enrichment or knowledge beyond useless trivia
>>
>>9802719
It would have been much better if you used the word 'throttle' instead of 'strangle'. Disappointed in you, anon-kun.
>>
>>9806224
Any fiction? Not even classics anon?
>>
>>9804915
You're an insecure faggot.
>>
>>9804915
Are you a woman?
>>
File: f63.jpg (41KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
f63.jpg
41KB, 396x382px
>>9805629
>I love Twilight
Please leave and never come back to this board.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.