[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/ I don't know where else to turn so bare with me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Calc.jpg (20KB, 300x464px) Image search: [Google]
Calc.jpg
20KB, 300x464px
Hey /lit/ I don't know where else to turn so bare with me for a second. I have no idea what kind of thread this is going to be.

I've always considered myself to be an educated individual and maybe just a bit more intellgient than the average Joe. I read and study daily, I do well in univesity and receive good marks, but there is one subject which I could never get into: Math.

I attended a really shitty Catholic grade school that focused more on teaching us about Religious values instead of making sure we knew how to actually do things like Algebra. By the time I transfered out and attended a public school system I was completely blindsided by the level of math I found myself at. Keep in mind this is basic Algebra at this point. In a way, I fell through the cracks and was left behind. But that's gonna change now.

I recently bought pic related and am going to read through it once I finish my current book. Any advice you guys can give me? Any math majors out there that can offer me some words of wisdom or other ways I can better my understanding of mathematical principles?

Thanks.
>>
What level of mathematics do you understand?
>>
>>9799738

/sci/ knows a lot more about teaching yourself math than us. Visit their wiki in their sticki
>>
Where the fuck do you live that people thing you should've learned calculus in grade school?
>>
>>9799759

Over 9000
>>
>>9799759
I only know a basic level of calculus but it was applied calculus so it wasn't even that difficult but it still gave me a shitload of issues. I had to beg the teacher for an A-. I plan on going to law school so a good GPA is a must for me.
>>
>>9799738
If you haven't done any maths in a while going straight to Calculus isnt the smartest idea. What I would recommend instead is khanacademy (google it). There you can if you dont feel good about your math skills start from easy shit like adding fractions and shit. Get to Pre-calculus, and then you start thinking about more advanced material (lurk on /sci/ for a memelist) There is also a good book about how to study math more efficiently
A Mind For Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science Barbara Oakley
>>
>>9799765
Thanks bb
>>
>>9799772
The same place that thinks you should learn the difference between a "g" and a "k"
>>
File: IMG_2914.jpg (209KB, 640x1015px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2914.jpg
209KB, 640x1015px
>really shitty catholic school
redundant
>>
Could you give us a brief summary of the mathematics you know? (I'm not american.)

Is mathematics related to your university education at all? Or could it benefit it in general?

Do you have any vague goals of things to master or level to reach?
>>
>>9800806
I have a background knowledge in a little alegbra, geometry, statistics, and applied calculus. Further knowledge of math could definitely assist me in my university, I'm an economics major. As I move into higher level classes, math will definitely come into play. I just want to be confidently good at calculus.
>>
>>9800849
Most if not all high school mathematics should be second nature. If there's any holes in your knowledge, look into getting them filled. If you take a step in a calculation for granted, there might be errors in the future. Look for connections and alternative ways of doing things. The more mathematics you do, the more the gaps fill themselves.

Calculus is probably what you need the most for economics. Anything functions, anything limits, anything graphs, anything differential, anything integral (probably less important but important nonetheless). Linear algebra might not be as important, but is very common to learn and gives a good feel for mathematics as a subject. A robust background in probability helps everyone doing something quantitative. You probably don't need stuff like stochastic processes or advanced probability though. If you're looking for something extra, sequences and series. Maybe even some complex analysis to get the cogs rolling.

Terence Tao (famous mathematician) has some stuff on his blog that might apply to you. I guess read economics in your spare time as well, but you're in /lit/ so I'll assume you already do that.
>>
1) Don't memorize (there are of course exceptions), try to visualize and understand it
2) Ask yourself questions
3) Identify your mistakes
4) Get comfortable with the ideas of proofs, definitions, etc
5) Handwavy explanations => Work with it and fill in the smaller details
>>
>>9801023
I suggest taking a College Algebra and Trigonometry course at your school prior. Otherwise, you will not have the fundamental knowledge needed to even understand calculus.
>>
>>9801023
>>9801037
Didn't mean to reply to you
>>
>>9801044
No problem, bby
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.