[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've read An Encounter, Two Gallants, the Boarding Room,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Dubliners_title_page.jpg (77KB, 498x780px) Image search: [Google]
Dubliners_title_page.jpg
77KB, 498x780px
I've read An Encounter, Two Gallants, the Boarding Room, Araby, and The Dead. I'll admit that while I enjoyed them all greatly, a lot of Joyce's hidden meanings eluded me until I read up on them.

Which is your favourite, and should I be reading them in order?
>>
>>9797414
>favorite
A Little Cloud, easily. I never got why The Dead is considered such a masterpiece when compared to the others, they're all about equally good i'd say.

>and should I be reading them in order
i don't think it matters, but why wouldn't you?
>>
i heard a lecture that said there wasn't really hidden meaning in most of those stories, i was like "wtf u mean we're supposed to take these boring stories at face value?" that's when i realize joyce writes shitty stuff just like all the other english novelists of the time
>>
>>9797422
The Dead was great for me because while it bored me mid-story, Gabriel's realisation that he was a only a pawn in his aunt's game, and the rapid epiphany leading up to the last paragraph really spoke to me. I didn't get the snow relevance until reading analyses on it, though.
>>
File: 1491348678618.jpg (63KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1491348678618.jpg
63KB, 720x720px
I've always wondered, would women be able to truly appreciate Araby?
>>
Araby, Eveline, Counterparts, and The Dead are my favorites.

I've heard that Dubliners is structured in a way where like the stories at the beginning are supposed to be youth, and then adolescence and then maturity and getting elderly and dying, but that seems like academic filler.

>>9797422
I dont think they're all equal. Ivy Day in the Committee Room is so politically charged I hardly understand it, and I feel like The Sisters, After the Race, and Two Gallants are weaker. Just because they feel more unfocused than the others. They're all written fantastically well though of course.
>>
>>9797425
Joyce isn't for you if you find them boring
>>
File: IMG_5962.gif (2MB, 330x166px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5962.gif
2MB, 330x166px
>>9797425
If say this fellow ain't worth six pence huh fellas
>>
>>9797478
How do you not get that they're structured by age? It starts with child narrators dealing with childish issues but then becomes more mature as the collection progresses. It's not completely chronological but there it is definitely subdivided and grouped by age.
>>
>>9797511
I mean I get it, but it seems like a shallow point to focus on when it has nothing to do with the eral content of the stories that are so rich
>>
>>9797414
dublienr is a fucking novel not a short story collection

asking if you should "read them in order" is like asking "should i read chapter 1 of a book before chapter 2?

>>9797776
stupid being a pseud
>>
>>9798065
dont be a retard desu
>>
>>9798086
you're literally retarded
>>
>>9798106
You're a fucking idiot if you think Dubliners is a novel. If it wasn't written by James Joyce you wouldn't have anything to say you're just bandwagoning because he has a big reputation.
>>
>>9798133
other anon is right, you're retarded
>>
>>9797478
I actually like After The Race. Maybe because it so perfectly captures the thrill of blowing a bunch of money and then the psychological hangover of coming to terms with it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.