[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 41

File: twl5idnr0lby.jpg (960KB, 2462x3000px) Image search: [Google]
twl5idnr0lby.jpg
960KB, 2462x3000px
what the fuck are we talking about edition

Fantasy
Selected:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previous Threads:
>>9786011
>>9775050
>>9768174
>>9757955
>>9750631
>>9739913
>>9730551
>>9718098
>>
any gay fantasy?
>>
Any mech kino recommendations?
>>
>>9797037
No, we all grimdark now.
>>
>>9797037
Steel Remains
Last Herald Mage

I've read more but can't think of it off the top of my head
>>
>finally managed to kick my degenerate loli habit two months ago, but the need hasn't disappeared
>making slow progress on writing because I keep procrastinating
>Realize i can kill two birds with one stone if I make a rule that I can only look at loli if Ive written at least a page that day

Is this a good idea, or am I just begging to fall off the wagon
>>
>>9797037
I remember Sorcerer of the Wildeeps being uncomfortably gay for me but it might be what you want.

Failing that try non-lit tumblr memes like Steven Universe and The Babadook
>>
>>9797102
Any ideas like that will make you relapse.
First step to disciplining yourself is to revaluate oneself. Make a list, distinguish your goals and why you want to achieve them. Then make a schedule for how and when you will write.

Also, the key to non-procrastination/being effective is to find out when the body falls into rest mode and how disable it. Stand up, and walk once every 40-50 minutes. This will reactivate the brain.
But all in all you need to procrastinate, which is why it should be a reward and not a standard. Hope this helped a little.
>>
>>9797161
All i do is revaluate and plan. I want to get my writing done and actually get some sense of reward from doing it, instead of feeling nothing but exhaustion and hopelessness.
>>
>>9796864
Tad Williams' style is a very slow build up, but he got better at ramping up events faster as he got more experience. Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn was the first epic fantasy he wrote and it's also his slowest paced one, I found it pretty hard to get through Dragonbone Chair as well. In general he gets better with every series he's done, so that's why I was very excited for this new series that revisits MST's setting but with nearly 3 decades of writing experience and improvement behind him, and so far it's as good as I'd hoped. Witchwood Crown is much faster paced than Dragonbone Chair, and as a bonus you don't actually need to have read MST to follow the story.
>>
best non-grimdark fiction, romanticised environment descriptions and the such? a la LOTR :^)
>>
>>9797231
The orphans tales is as good as it gets for that. You will want to eat everything, including things that aren't edible
>>
>>9797206
Then maybe you shouldn't write. If you don't love what you do why do it?
>>
>>9797037
As a homo, the best fantasy novel with good gay representation for me was Bakker's Darkness That Comes Before.
>>
What type of fantasy creates does /lit/ like? Big fan of werewolves personally but I never see them in anything.
>>
>>9797252
I love creating stories even though I find writing them stressful. I can like writing when I feel I can be proud of it, but lately Ive been made ashamed of it by the people I chose to show it to. Ive dreamed of writing a novel for years and I've begun to care deeply about the characters I've created (though thankfully not deeply enough to protect them from suffering)
>>
>>9797262
Truly alien creatures are a favorite of mine, especially the kind that that almost fail to qualify as life
>>
I just finished the Mistborn books. Are Sanderson's other series worth getting in to? It's looking like I may need to develop an understanding of the Cosmere to fully appreciate the Mistborn books going forward, but it looks like he has a lot of stuff set within the Cosmere and I'm not sure where to start or if his other works are any good.
>>
>>9797300
Warbreaker and Stormlight are good (stormlight would be great if you took out the bad pov characters)
Elantris is decent
Reckoners is bad
Rithmatist is awful
>>
>>9797222
Is it true that Gurm stole a lot of shit from Tad Williams?
>>
>>9797030
Recc me a sci-fi book that's about idealism, utilitarianism and loose morality. Book that gives me something to think about.
>>
>>9797298
interesting stuff anon. Any recommendations for books with that type of alien?
>>
What's the most Metal Gear Solid like sci-fi book?
>>
Anything like Sabriel out there?
>>
>>9797406
Sadly nothing /lit/. Stuff like the tardis from doctor who or the life fibers fromm kill la kill are fun exmples, and I remember a sentient shade of blue from either the green lantern or hitchikers guide

some of my favorite examples comes from homestuck. cherubs look like skeletons but the entire species starts life as hermaphrodites with two personalities of opposite sex (they have four sexes) that fight until one personality consumes the other at which point it develops an imouto complex and seeks out a mate that it has to turn into a snake to fuck. The trolls look like demonic humans, but in reality the ones that look female are actually males and the one female in the species looks like a giant moth with a vaguely humanoid face
>>
>>9797429
Neuromancer
maybe some of Nick Land's theory fiction (Meltdown and Hypervirus in particular)
>>
>>9797452
Man, the trolls were a lot more interesting before Hussie literally just started writing them as grey humans who happen to have horns and a weird society. Also it's canon that Damara has a vagina (and erego the other troll girls probably do too) so that last bit is false.
>>
>>9797452
If we're going non /lit/ here http://hitmen.thecomicseries.com/ is the best example of fuckoff alien monstrosities explained in minute detail I've ever seen. There are so many incredibly detailed alien monsters with fully developed ecosystems, evolutionary histories, and exotic biology I can't even begin to list them.
>>
>>9797483
Already read it. I want more futuristic military fiction with espionage/thriller overtones.
>>
Any good books based on the Age of Enlightenment? I feel that there aren't enough authors writing in that time period.
>>
>>9797503
IIRC a lot of MGS2 was inspired by Crossfire by Pollock, tho that's only the plot. I don't think what you're looking for is there.

there's always the Metal Gear Worlds of Power book too
>>
>>9797403
>>9797403
Too Like the Lightning uses both those fancy words every page
>>
>>9797566
>>9797640
>>
>>9797566
>>9797403
Remember how Dan Simmons probably turned up angsty romantic music while fapping to Keats? Up that autism three times and you have Too Like the Lightning, it's like one of those waifufags on v/a/lentines day set up one of those autism shrines to all those 18th Century philosophers.
>>
Which Clark Ashton Smith stories do you recommend? The only one I've read is The City of the Singing Flame.
>>
>>9797402
I've only read ASoIaF from GRRM and there wasn't anything "stolen" in there that I could see. GRRM has gone on record saying that Tad Williams greatly influenced him and inspired him to write ASoIaF though. And he clearly respects him since he even put a little homage to Dragonbone Chair in his books. But at best I could only make very general claims on similarity between MST and ASoIaF, nothing really substantial. Like:
>the magical enemy of mankind lives far to the north in a frozen land, and they are described as being pale and ghostly
>the lands of men to the south were once disparate kingdoms who warred endlessly with one another but were united in recent history by a great conqueror whose claim to fame is related to dragons
>though the real threat to mankind is the terrible magic enemies in the north, much of the story is focused on political conflicts between human factions
And that's about as much as I could say is similar, and even then the examples I used aren't really that similar and I had to word them in a very specific way to get that comparison to work. They also have pretty different tones and styles. TW is much more about fairy tales and mythology, while GRRM lives for political intrigue.
>>
>start reading a series (Poor Man's War) for the pulpy spacefights against pirates
>second book is actually about a subprime lending market crash
Well I wasn't expecting this but it's fun
>>
File: 91a4ctwMseL.jpg (664KB, 1500x2325px) Image search: [Google]
91a4ctwMseL.jpg
664KB, 1500x2325px
>>9797695
The Dark Eidolon and Other Fantasies
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18143067-the-dark-eidolon-and-other-fantasies

The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith
https://www.goodreads.com/series/74972-the-collected-fantasies-of-clark-ashton-smith
>>
File: Fagget.jpg (734KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Fagget.jpg
734KB, 800x1280px
>>9797258
Fagget
>>
File: Aspiring Bloggers Get Out.png (1MB, 1443x795px) Image search: [Google]
Aspiring Bloggers Get Out.png
1MB, 1443x795px
>>9797286
>>9797206
>>9797102
>>
>>9797829
Thanks. I'll take a look at those.
>>
tugs braid
>>
Tuon is white.
>>
Need a cool name for a secret society in my book. They are associated with a sleeping underground army of robots and are spread all across the world.
>>
Can someone help me remember a book?
Science fiction I think. I remember some battle involving humans who had evolved to have these delicate wings and were really tall and thin that allowed them to fly in space and ride radiation from their star. I think it was part of a human colony that was lost and evolved to survive on asteroids surrounding a sun. Other humans had other specialized evolutionary traits.
>>
>>9797944
Hidden Cache
Northbridge idle
Logic phishing
Bruteforced Mem
>>
>>9797944
Untersyncro
Kevlemekar
Trobolito
Vectech
>>
>>9797944
>>9798129
>>9798185
Sorry I realize I made that sound like a sci fi book but its actually fantasy. And this type of society is called a blood pact in the book.
>>
>>9797252
Everything isn't supposed to feel good all the time.
>>
>>9798286
It does for me, I love what I do.
Feels good man
>>
>>9798222
Ungrateful Cretins
>>
>>9798222
>a blood pact
schrodinger cat
Circuits of the logichood
Perpetual energy
Void tap
Iron hearts
Eldritch compact
300psi heart
Hollow center
Grounded flight
Order of metal flesh
Eldritch hivemind
Grounded drones
Drone potis
>>
>>9797503
Try "The Red" by Linda Nagata. Near future US Army power armor soldiers go rogue and fight defense contractors after a AI goes rampant and starts messing with stuff.
>>
I'm reading this book... my my, it's so bloody boring and verbose.
>>
Hey /sffg/, not sure where to go for this, but I'm looking for a book/collection of stories about humans a thousand (or more) years into the future. I can't remember for the life of me where I got it from (seems like from a russian archive website, last I remember it).

The tl;dr is that humans learned how to space travel, martians are actually humans, just spindly, and further on an alien race makes us into their genomic bitch and splices and remakes humans into their experimental lab pet.

Just wish I remembered the name of it, fuck.
>>
>>9798694
I'm sorry if I memes you into it in the last thread. It's got several pretty good short stories stitched together by a ridiculous self-indulgent power fantasy.
>>
I haven't been as enthusiastic about reading fantasy since I read the first three books in A Song of Ice and Fire. What are some more books that are as exciting as the first three books of ASOIAF? I've also read The Lord of the Rings but other than those two, assume I'm a newbie to fantasy.
>>
Has anyone read Leviathan Wakes? Just finished it and thought it was prosodic, unoriginal and longer than it needed to be. Haven't seen the show is it any good?
>>
>>9798803
Prosaic *
>>
>>9797222
>Witchwood Crown is much faster paced than Dragonbone Chair, and as a bonus you don't actually need to have read MST to follow the story.
Would you suggest starting with the old series or just skipping ahead?
>>
>>9798803
I thought the show was less engaging than the books tbqh and I ended up dropping the books during the third one
>>
>>9798222
The Terracotta men.
>>
>>9798222
Make it so secret it doesn't even have a name.
>>
>>9799321
Only good response desu, no offense to the rest of you. But I dont' like referencing specific stuff from Earth since it's fantasy
>>
>>9797286
>but lately Ive been made ashamed of it by the people I chose to show it to
Elaborate.
>>
Any good books about Dwarves? I read that Dwarves book by that European author, any others?
>>
>>9797944
Anonymouse.
>>
>>9798870
Tad Williams himself says in the forward of WWC you don't need to have read MST to follow his new book, he wrote it so that new readers can jump in there if they want. MST is definitely worth a read if you enjoy the setting though, but it's definitely gonna take some time to get through. Also if you want some context that's faster to read, he wrote a novella set between MST and WWC called The Heart of What Was Lost. It's set immediately after the end of MST and 30 years before the events of WWC.
>>
>>9799432
>But I dont' like referencing specific stuff from Earth since it's fantasy
>uses a word that has terra in it, which means earth
I'm starting to believe that wordart fag is right in ignoring /chasing you fucks we help you and this is the thankx we get kys
>>
I fucking threw up on my flaccid dick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-vGWwRF_Qc
>>
Reading Neuromancer for the first time. Does anyone feel as though prose is obtuse and somewhat impenetrable? There's a lot of sci-fi vocabulary but even the simpler sentences are difficult to understand.
>>
>>9800090
The rich scifi vocabulary is what I liked about that book. In what way do you find the sentences difficult to understand?
>>
>>9800090
oh yeah, man.
Gibso pretty much created the entire Cyberpunk aesthetic entirely through prose, which was intentional, as the man was very much influenced by William S. Burroughs.

When it gets to the scenes in cyberspace it gets particularly confusing, because Gibson goes almost full stream-of-consciousness and tech jargon and 1) Gibson was a prose writer, not a tech nerd, so it can be hard to understand what the fuck he's talking about and 2) it can also be hard to get it today because of how much cyberculture, technology and the internet have changed since 1984.

That said, you get used to it, and by page 200 you realize what an immensely rewarding reading it is, there's a real sort of beauty to the prose in that book.
>>
>>9800122
>>9800125
I don't know, I just find it hard to comprehend it on spatial and temporal level. For example in one paragraph he's in one place talking to one character and in next few paragraphs the prose is describing something completely different.
>>
>>9800075
I was referring to "The Terracotta men" when I said that. Hence the "but".

Maybe learn to read first before you try to help out a writer.
>>
File: 1500922540254.jpg (44KB, 569x506px) Image search: [Google]
1500922540254.jpg
44KB, 569x506px
>The problem is that souls simply cannot remember indefinitely, there is a limit, necessitating that something be forgotten to remember as a certain point. What renders this problem tragic is the way memories of trauma and shame find themselves chiseled, as opposed to simply inked, into the Nonman soul. This mean that the longer a Nonman lives, the more their soul becomes a repository of anguish and pain. The Dolour proper is thought to happen when only painful experiences remain, robbing the sufferer of the ability to remember anything beyond several heartbeats (lest that memory be tragic).

That's pretty fucking brutal.
>>
>>9800626
hehe hella epic edge bro

Bakker rulez!!!!!
>>
What does /lit/ think about Book of New Sun?
>>
so i finished off robin hobb's liveship trilogy, i liked it. im glad about malta in the end oh my god did i hate her.
im interested in more interesting magic systems, yes ive read sanderson and weeks
>>
>>9800251
you mean how he switches between reality, cyberspace and sometimes molly's view every few sentences?
That's what makes this book so engaging and unique. You have to keep track of what's going on on 2-3 different levels.
>>
File: 16684147.png (322KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
16684147.png
322KB, 480x480px
>>9800626
maybe I'm a Nonman after all
>>
>>9800626
Am I the only one who imagines Nonmen as Engineers?
>>
>>9800707
>im glad about malta in the end oh my god did i hate her
felt the same way

on magic systems, maybe garth nix, peter v brett or jonathan stroud
>>
>>9800741
It's exactly how I picture them especially during the gay sex scenes.
>>
File: gandahar.jpg (17KB, 238x400px) Image search: [Google]
gandahar.jpg
17KB, 238x400px
So was Andrevon never translated? Guess I gotta go brush up my french..
>>
File: 564et.png (17KB, 400x316px) Image search: [Google]
564et.png
17KB, 400x316px
I want a fantasy or science fiction story with strong femdom and BDSM elements. Is there such a thing? The nastier the better.
>>
>>9797326
This anon is a list and a cheat. Everything Sanderson writes is pure gold except for his Alcatraz YA books.
>>
>>9800922
Sword of Truth anon

Its also the worst fantasy series ever written
>>
>>9800922
there's Gor for maledom, which is up there with >>9800934 for the worst fantasy series ever written.
>>
>>9800934
>Its also the worst fantasy series ever written
That's quite a claim. So it is worse than Eragon? Worse than The Name of the Wind?
>>
>>9800912
Apparently there's some translations to German, which I'm a bit better at than French
http://www.horrorundthriller.de/index.php/Thread/404-Jean-Pierre-Andrevon/
>>
>>9801006
not that anon but it's way worse than Eragon (and boy is that bad). Haven't read TNotW tho, so i can't comment on that.
>>
File: William_Adams_(NO).jpg (1MB, 1414x2000px) Image search: [Google]
William_Adams_(NO).jpg
1MB, 1414x2000px
Recommend me something that's kind of like the real life story of William Adams. Sci-Fi or Fantasy.

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)
>>
>>9798222

The X Brotherhood/Fellowship or the Brotherhood/Fellowship of X where X is either the name of their founder or the name of the underground robot kingdom
>>
>>9798748

I haven't read it yet, but the description of The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie seems like it fits these parameters
>>
>>9800922

The Female Man by Joanna Russ

:^)
>>
>>9797030
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
Where the fuck is the Fritz Liber?
>>
>>9801184
Forget I posted that.
>>
>>9800077
hah, my mom loves this book.
>>
File: alien wheat meme.jpg (166KB, 1500x1291px) Image search: [Google]
alien wheat meme.jpg
166KB, 1500x1291px
>>9800090
>>9800125
I've only read Pattern Recognition by Gibson but ages ago and don't remember it well, but I've read some Stross (Accelerando) which was also dense with technical language and had slightly obtuse prose

Is Neuromancer similar in style to Stross or is it a different kind of obtuse? I bought Neuromancer recently and mean to have a stab at it soon.

>>9800707
Hobb's novels are awesome. Liveship books are pretty magical desu.
>>
Newfag here, can anyone recommend a good fantasy series that has a strong materialist perspective on the setting?
>>
>>9801434
>a strong materialist perspective
What did you mean by this?
>>
>>9801480
Fedoracore probably.
>>
Malazan better be worth it. So far it is interesting enough to keep me reading but there better be a damn good pay off to all these endless POVs and lore exposition
>>
>>9801434
>strong materialist perspective
What does "materialist" mean in this context? There's like 10 different things that "materialist" can refer to when you have no context like this.
>>
File: Really Tempted.jpg (42KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
Really Tempted.jpg
42KB, 800x587px
>>9800090
>>9800122
>>9800125
Okay you fucking shills. I will pick up neuromancer when i finish these 20 books backlog I have.
>>
File: Dinosaurs.jpg (703KB, 2437x1047px) Image search: [Google]
Dinosaurs.jpg
703KB, 2437x1047px
>>9801192
>Forget I posted that.
No.
>>
>>9798694
Robert Heinlein in "I want to live forever and fuck all of my family (all of them)"
>>
Anybody know a good place to download a .mobi file of Salem's lot?
>>
>>9800741
Bakker might as well be a psuedonym for Giger. Same ancient race of retarded statue men, same disturbingly sexual bioweapons, same aliens invading earth to wipe out humanity. I view the whole series as a novelization of the alien movies but with wizards n' sheit.
>>
I vaguely remember someone here recommending me a book with "Magician" in the title, but was it "The Magician" or "The Magicians"? And there are also multiple books with each of those titles. Can anyone give me the name of the author? I don't want to read any of the shit ones.
>>
>>9801006
>>9800934
>worst fantasy series ever written
Looks like someone doesn't see the TRUE magic is the divine economic power of the free market! But srriously, it's pretty good, until Terry went insane because of 9/11, and even then it's still okay. It is also the crown jewel of femdom BDSM fantasy erotica! There's not one, not two, not three, but FOUR organizations of magical dominatrixes that alternatively enslave and pledge allegiance to the MC!
>>
>>9802093
There are 3
The magician trilogy by Gross Levman
The Black Magician by Trudi Canavan
Magicians by Feist
>>
>>9802109
Every book its discovered MC is also the last remaining sole user of a new X.
Every book MC's waifu is almost raped.
Every book MC must show the world how amazing of a gary sue he is by using his sex magic (which he used to out sex magic his father) to improve everyones lives like how he destabilized an entire country by sculpting a statue.
>>
>>9802179
Yeah, but it's good anyway.
>>
>>9798719
All Tomorrows by Nemo Ramjet?
>>
>>9802185
Anon at a certain point you have to admit you like something that is garbage. It's okay to like trash, this is a safe space.
>>
>>9802093
There's 4 book series I can think of that feature the word magician either in the name of the series or in the first book's title.
>>
>>9801922
If you're not enjoying the experience then why bother? I enjoyed it most of the way through, there were only a few points I felt dragged a bit, but overall reading Malazan was an enjoyable experience for me. I got no idea why people plow through stuff they aren't having fun with.
>>
>>9802208
>reading House of Chains
>based Karsa Orlong chapters in the beginning
>bored now that the POV has changed
I'm probably going to put down the series for awhile. I just don't give a shit about anything that's happening and I'm 4 books in.
>>
>>9802229
>>bored now that the POV has changed
Who did it change to?
>>
>>9802272
Cutter and Fiddler I believe. It's been a couple weeks.
>>
Damn the 2nd book of ascension was a big disappointment compared to the first. The Zane/Vin romance was hard to get through at points and it seemed showed down your throat. The theme of Monarchy vs Democracy was fantastic though. How's the final book?
>>
>>9802295
>Fiddler
So the best old man.

The only shitty perspectives in Malazan are dragons
>>
>>9801978
plz no bully
>>
>>9802229
Yeah Karsa was my favorite character and I raged because he kept not showing up.

most of the other characters are pretty interesting though.

also you should have noticed that karsa is a character we have seen earlier in deadhouse
>>
File: 1491385155291.png (25KB, 669x514px) Image search: [Google]
1491385155291.png
25KB, 669x514px
>>9802109
Series ordered.
>>
File: 1478194744840.jpg (24KB, 640x559px) Image search: [Google]
1478194744840.jpg
24KB, 640x559px
>>9802179
>to improve everyones lives like how he destabilized an entire country by sculpting a statue
>by sculpting a statue
>statute
>>
>>9802672
>implying you couldn't do that in real life of you were famous enough
>carve a statue of Mohamad getting fucked by a pig
>display it at the white house
>>
File: Sffg memes.jpg (1MB, 2544x1900px) Image search: [Google]
Sffg memes.jpg
1MB, 2544x1900px
>it's bout that time where I force homegrown memes down your throats to spawn discussion
>>
Is there a good fantasy or SF series that involves elements of the esoteric, secret knowledge, the occult, and conspiracy theories, either by obvious allusion or by extended analogies/veiled references? I'm thinking of topics like breakaway civilisations, hollow earth, antarctic bases, secret societies, ancient astronauts, exploding planet hypothesis, mind-control, in a fiction treatment, with SF+F elements. I'm already familiar with PKD and Lovecraft.
>>
>>9802731
Library at mount char
>>
>>9802411
better than the second that's for sure
>>
>>9802688
>carve a statue of Mohamad getting fucked by a pig
Only if I am literally suicidal.
>>
>>9802731
Gravity's Rainbow

I also read Illuminatus! a few months ago which fits a little better but I didn't much like it -- too unfocused.
>>
Why do people write in first-person present tense? It reads so badly. Is it because they're unable to comprehend structure and just rattle off shit?
>>
>>9803108
>too unfocused
That's the point. Although I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea
>>
>>9802725
That picture is outdated
>>
Age of Swords where?
>>
Wew, the stormlight author is absolutely horrendous at writing banter.
>>
>>9803311
He's a mormon
>>
>>9803315
How is this relevant? Lots of religious weirdos make pretty good scifantasy
>>
>Game of Thrones: Winds of Winter could be out in 2018, says George RR Martin
>George RR Martin has informed fans impatient for his new Game of Thrones novel The Winds of Winter that he is “still months away” from completing it – but offered hope that they might be reading it next year.

Never ever
>>
>>9803334
I hope this fat fuck dies
>>
>>9797403
Try the book Consider Phlebas, the first in the Culture series by Iain M. Banks. It's quite good IMO
>>
Any good fantasy series with a magic system in which most people can use it to basically do party tricks like a producing a small flame/spark whilst only those who put decades into esoteric magical studies are able to do anything useful/non trivial with it?
>>
>>9803492
Jack Vance The Dying Earth
>>
>>9803546
Oh shit i've always wanted to read dying earth.
I'll give it a shot, thanks anon.
>>
>>9801922
First one is a struggle but you should get into during the second
>>
>>9803565
No problem. Great stories, the only thing that would get on my nerves from time to time is the esoteric naming of creatures and locations to make the world seem more fantastic.

Expect a lot of weirdo small societies and small towns that make no sense. I think its charming.

His best is obviously the Cugel adventures, where as the other adventurers in his pulp stories are sort of "cameras" so that we can see the adventure, not much characterization. But he makes up for it by being fucking weird and fantastic, essentially if the whole world was taken over by highly technological faeries that drink and fuck all day.

Have fun bud!
>>
File: kt.png (429KB, 600x554px) Image search: [Google]
kt.png
429KB, 600x554px
>>9797030
Quick question. can anyone provide a clear bonduary between fantasy and science fiction?
>>
>>9803599
They're the same thing
>>
>>9803599
>bonduary
What?

As far as a boundary, its hazy.

You could say that fantasy worlds just have different laws of physics and that is how they build their technology.

Its only magical when the laws of physics in a given universe are broken through this magic.

Its up to the author, but I think that is the biggest distinction.
>>
>>9803612
1984=Lord of the rings
Brave new world=Harry potter
I disagree.

>>9803615
>As far as a boundary, its hazy.
Agreed. I usually difference them as fantasy tends to be "less real". I mean, 1984 has irreal goberment, countries and so. but it happens on earth, protagonists are humans...
While on LOTR, the middle earth isn't real, elves aren't real, orcs aren't real...
I hope I made my point clear, can't explain better.
>>
>>9803626
>all books in the same genre have to be identical
>>
>>9803626
What country are you from m8?
>>
>>9803209
Update it then. I think the guy who did the original 2 is either dead, or no longer a neet.
>>
File: Avoid All Of These Authors.png (2MB, 948x1244px) Image search: [Google]
Avoid All Of These Authors.png
2MB, 948x1244px
>>9803585
>>9803546
>>
>>9803720
I love tolkien and gormenghast, do you think I'll enjoy dying earth as much as I did those if they're on the same list?
>>
File: disgusted otter.jpg (151KB, 870x960px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted otter.jpg
151KB, 870x960px
>>9803720
>putting Tolkin among those hacks
>>
>>9803648
Got to be an idiot one like America. He can't even defend his "facts"
>I hope I made my point clear, can't explain better
and he is too dense or stupid to understand that fantasy and sci-fi are two coins of the same coin.
Fantasy deals with the mystical approach, scifi deals with the scientific (close as to make no difference) approach. Both are fantastical things that didn't happen, if they did it would be history, not fiction. And even if they based their stories on something of the past it didn't happen that way, with those persons.
>>
File: Gormenghast Park.jpg (257KB, 1080x1599px) Image search: [Google]
Gormenghast Park.jpg
257KB, 1080x1599px
>>9803723
Idk. Dying Earth was:
Too much of memorizing 2 spells only to fill up their brain.
Too much of witch fucking demons to fill her cunny.
Too much of surprise rape
All with an annoying shitty old prose. If you liked dinoghast, you'll probably enjoy Dying Earth.
>>
File: chip.jpg (119KB, 700x450px) Image search: [Google]
chip.jpg
119KB, 700x450px
>>9803720
>>
File: palemoon_2017-07-25_16-47-28.png (4KB, 320x71px) Image search: [Google]
palemoon_2017-07-25_16-47-28.png
4KB, 320x71px
FINALLY
>>
>>9803815
Tell me about all the sjw shit. If it's forced more than the last time.
>>
>>9803865
Haven't started yet, waiting on the audiobook to be honest, I'll be doing manual labor for most of the day for a few days, planning on listening then.
But he wrote all the books before publishing the first, so I'd say it's fair to assume there will be a shit ton of SJW shit in it
>>
Is it bad that I rather enjoyed Jay Allan's Crimson Worlds series?
>>
>>9803311
Yes he's legendarily bad at dialogue. Has no clue how to write "witty" characters.
>>
>>9803943
How big is the range between bad, so bad it's good, and completely trash you can't even read?
>>
>>9804065
It's fine, everyone here hates on it but its average at worst.

inb4 summon awesomeness. In context it isn't that bad
>>
>>9803815
Anyone on private trackers can tell if the audiobook has been released already and just hasn't hit public yet?
>>
>>9803311
Honestly could never tell if Shallan was being ironically praised by her family or not, his attempts at wit really fall short.
>>
>>9804095
The awesomeness is understandable. It's a young street kid who wasn't educated. They tried to teach her but she was having none of it. If you bring a bumpkin to the city what do you think would happen?

I swear some of the people that read books in this general are stupid. It's like they expect to be handfed everything by the author over explaining, and not to use their common sense. It is stated that lift grew up in the streets, never went to school, how the fuck do you expect her to act? So much shit is explained in books, then you have idiots coming here complaining about it, not knowing how stupid it makes them look.

>girl is locked up and sheltered all her life
>brothers fill her heads with lies how witty she is
>goes out into real word an adult
>don't know shit
>tries to be witty
>it's a cringe fest
>only her nobility is stopping people from putting an end to her pun tyranny
>idiots come in sffg to complain after reading "attempted wit" (probably didn't even finish the book like usual)
>omg FUCK THIS SAFEHAND SLUT AND HER SHITTY WIT
>DURRSON A HACK
>HOW HE GET PUBLISHED
>DROPPED
>everyone else in thread looks on as he embarrasses himself
>>
>>9803585
Cugel is a shitty person that deserved all of the bad and none of the good things that happened to him.
>>
>>9804347
I like Sanderson but you're giving him too much credit here. He is genuinely trying to write a witty character with Shallan.
>>
>>9800125
Are you fucking retarded? Gibson was a huge technerd.
>>
>>9800675
Amazing book, but not for weak readers.

>>9802093
You're thinking of the magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman. It's fucking awesome. The main complaint seems to be unlikable characters. Seeing as this is 4chan I'll assume that most here won't have problems identifying with the mental health struggles that cause the "unlikeable" qualities.
>>
>>9803311
"Have you ever shat in shardplate?"
>>
>>9804461
How did he get away with it
>>
>>9804461
"I bet u dont even eat rocks"
"Hey guyz wanna talk about eatan rocks"
>>
Do the Undying Mercenaries books get better, worse or stay the same after the second novel?
>>
>>9803720

Ebin shitpost
>>
>>9803334

I can't wait until the evil king Drumpfrys steals the iron throne with sorcerous vote rigging courtesy of the iron bank of bravos and then rounds up Daenarys' army of peaceful refugees and feeds them to her dragons one by one
>>
>>9803585
>esoteric naming of creatures and locations to make the world seem more fantastic
God I hate when authors do this.

"Ahh this 4 legged beast that our knights ride is called the Hralfgaphanir. It may look like a horse because its identical to one in every way other than we call it something else."
>>
>>9804340
See that is the thing. In the first chapter with shallaan I was thinking that the soldiers and her family had been patronizing her and the point was that she was gonna be crushed at the end of the chapter when she faced the real world. But that didn't happen. And then when I read Wits dialogue I realized it wasn't just a shallan thing
>>9803943
Most of it I think serves the story ok. So far, syl("why do people lie?"), shallan and wit are the only people whose dialogue has been really bad at times. I'll admit it never really shines
>>
>>9804584
How do you feel about the opposite? "Ah, this is a horse, 6 legged insectoid creature that carries you in a pouch as it crawls through its burrows at great speeds"?
>>
>>9804657
Gives me nightmares.
>>
>>9803315
Why do you post this every time? What does it mean?
>>
File: Blindsight_(book_cover).jpg (19KB, 225x337px) Image search: [Google]
Blindsight_(book_cover).jpg
19KB, 225x337px
...wow
>>
>>9792878
>MC living in dystopian society slowly transforms into a beeyootiful unicorn
I'm onto you Donaldson-sama.
>>
>>9804402
Even if that is the case, the background explains why she is so shit at it.
Do you expect our autistic basement dwellers in this general to go out into public and carry inspirational convos? No. They will sperg out and say some inane shit. Their witty banter will be looked at with faces of scorn and disgust.
>>
File: sailors.jpg (26KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
sailors.jpg
26KB, 320x180px
>>9804767
Shallan spend months at see bantering with sailors.
>>
>>9804752
yeah it's that boring
>>
File: 1493386458435.jpg (14KB, 388x500px) Image search: [Google]
1493386458435.jpg
14KB, 388x500px
>>9804803
>>
>>9804584
>complaining about fantasy in fantasy
That's one way to go full retard I suppose.
>>
>>9804803
It isn't boring, but that guy is the same guy every thread pretending it's his first time reading it; he wants people to discuss it with but he's super transparent. Also he got me to read it so I have mixed feelings.
>>
Can I just say...this thread is such a welcome respite from the otherwise endless ocean of pretentiousness that is /lit/?

Love you guys.
>>
>>9804888
Welcome to /lit/
>>
Does anybody know any works that primarily focus on gods, deities or any other supranatural beings?
>>
>>9804953
blindsight desu
>>
>>9804888
fantasy =! camp
>>
>>9804930
Trouble with the rest of the board is that most of the people posting don't actually read what they're trying to talk about.

>>9804953
Small Gods, Good Omens, Death novels
Age of Five
Inheritance Trilogy
American Gods

I think House of Shattered Wings is supposed to be about angels but I haven't started reading it.
>>
>>9804956
>>9804968
Thanks for input, I'll check them out.
>>
>>9804968
>Trouble with the rest of the board is that most of the people posting don't actually read what they're trying to talk about.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Explains why the critique threads are full of bloated idiots giving horrible advice too - half of the people posting there are just pretending to have knowledge of writing.
>>
>>9804953
>Does anybody know any works that primarily focus on gods, deities or any other supranatural beings?

I *strongly* recommend the Latro books by Gene Wolfe. It's set in ancient greece, starts just after the battle of salamis

The protagonist is a Roman mercenary who forgets everything each day but can see and interact with the ancient Greek gods in his waking life. Because he forgets everything each day, when he gets a chance he writes down what happened in order to read it the next day when he wakes up and remind himself who he is/what's happening/who to trust.

This record he keeps for himself is the novel. It's brilliant, tragic and poignant. And you learn loads about the gods of ancient Greece.

"First there was a struggle at the barricade of shields; then, the barricade down, a bitter and protracted fight, hand to hand, at the temple of Demeter...."
>>
>>9804990
>/lit/ is pretentious
Colour me surprised
>>
>>9804995
I know, it's about as shocking as saying that water is wet.

Anyway, back to fantasy discussion...has anyone read "Throne of Bones" by Vox Day? Worth my time? Someone gifted it to me and I won't be able to start it until I finish my current book.
>>
>>9803720
Y-your wrong
>>
>>9804953
Try out Lord of Light.

It's a sci-fi setting based on Hindu Gods.
>>
>>9804780
>months at sea will make up for a lifetime of sheltering
Okay
>>
>>9804752
Blindsight Wordart Marco incoming soon.. you only got yourself to thank anon...
>>
>>9805005
>has anyone read "Throne of Bones" by Vox Day?
Waiting on an audiobook, or an AI program that does Text to Speech stupendously so I can make my own Audiobooks. Would be nice if the program would know to change to a female voice depending on which pronoun describes the person.
>>
>>9805318
Read it into a microphone and then listen to it afterwards :3
>>
>>9805345
But reading is for fags
>>
>>9805357
That's why you'll be listening to it.
>>
>read Percy Jackson book to catch up on old times
>Nico is now a faggot
>no foreshadowing
>go on goodreads
>find long cat is long thread
>bunch of kids associating Nico being angsty and depressed because his sister died and his Hero didn't save her with him being a faggot
I see your future sff America, and it's gay. Enjoy your fall. Last time it was Rome, your turn is next.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1526242-nico-you-know-what-i-m-talking-about-o-o?page=1
>>
What's a really good fucked up fantasy book? Kinda like Throne of Bones I guess. Full of murder, sacrificing to gods, necrophilia, etc... Just really fucked up depraved shit is what I'm after.
>>
>>9805345
>Read it into a microphone and then listen to it afterwards :3
> :3
Catfag, don't you have books to reading and a list to be compiling?
Also if I was NEET I would have time to read the books, but I can only do Audiobooks. A book has to be really good for me to read the text version when my free time is so limited.
>>
>>9805372
To be clear I mean The Throne of Bones, not Throne of Bones by Vox Day.
>>
File: 201114.jpg (37KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
201114.jpg
37KB, 313x475px
>>9805372
Try:
Black Jewels Trilogy
Strain Trilogy
Bakker of course
Iron Dragon's Daughter
Let the right one in
Also Pic Related.
>>
Anything like Dragon's Egg and Starquake? Where we watch an alien race and see them evolve?
>>
File: 1488556461547.jpg (784KB, 1218x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1488556461547.jpg
784KB, 1218x1000px
>>9805423
Thanks pal!
>>
>>9805423
>Recommending womameme authors
Please stop
>>
>>9805455
Fuck off, man he's helping.
>>
>>9805459
Yeah let's throw in some rothfusses and shit too because at least we're helping right?
>>
>>9805387
I work full time and volunteer while managing to read at a decent rate. I've actually started picking up audiobook cassettes (worth it at 25 cents) for listening when overcome with eyestrain.
>>
>>9805463
I don't know what that means. No need to be a prick.
>>
>>9805455
He wanted fucked up shit. Have you read Black Jewels Trilogy?
>people using magic to give their dicks spikes so they can fuck virgins
>women using cock rings to control men
>incest
>loli
>rape
>femdom

>>9805463
>throw in some rothfusses
He didn't right anything that was truly fucked up. Just stupid pretentious prose, and friendzoning females who the MC lets walk over him.
>>
>>9805005
It's pretty good.
>>
File: 71de6dZePsL.jpg (137KB, 660x1089px) Image search: [Google]
71de6dZePsL.jpg
137KB, 660x1089px
I started reading Heinlein's Methuselah's Children because I thought the premise was interesting (a group secretly encouraging people with grandparents who lived a long time to marry each other to extend their descendants life spans) and wanted to see where it would go in a sci-fi setting.

I'm about halfway through and the plot is about the government discovering them and trying to capture them because they believe they have a method of extending life. The main character is a man in a kilt who does action movie stuff to try to rescue them and get them aboard a ship to escape Earth. So far there doesn't seem to be any point to the extended life thing, it's just an arbitrary reason for a people to be persecuted.
>>
>>9804767
>the background explains why she is so shit at it
No, it doesn't. Because she's supposed to be witty. She's described as witty and other characters are impressed by her supposed wit, even though it's god awful to read. The only possible explanation you could have that makes sense is that on Roshar being extremely unfunny is considered the epitome of wit and that's just how humor works there.
>>
>>9804180
You can tell that already if it's on overdrive. PTs are overdrive circlejerks so you can request things and anyone with access to the library will upload it for you.
>>
>>9803599
It's all speculative fiction. There's no real difference except the aesthetics you prefer and MAYBE the themes you like, but even that's pretty much flexible.
>>
>>9805602
>qt girl talking a bunch of shit
>didn't get to bury my dick in months
>damn gurl you so smart, you loyal, ayy holla holla
>>
Just finished Farnham's Freehold. Quite an interesting book. Not something I would recommend, but it was enjoyable.
Man, after reading a bunch of Heinlein, you start to see some real similarities in his work. Like an obsession with young teenage females and sex. oh, and cannibalism.
>>
>>9804888
If it were a 6 legged horse or could fly, or was even blue then call it whatever you want.

But if its literally a horse than call it a horse
>>
>>9805602
Or people are humoring her because she's a stupid noble girl
>>
>>9805455
>womameme
are you legitimately 12 years old?
>>
>>9805953
Are you?
>>
>>9805970
nop. I'm not the one saying juvenile edgy shit either.
>>
File: Autism Chart.jpg (123KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Autism Chart.jpg
123KB, 640x640px
>>9805980
He's probably retarded

>>9805970
Pick and list all number that apply from pic related.
>>
>>9806030
1 2 4 5 7 10 11 12
>>
The way Jack Vance begins chapters of Demon Princes with excerpts from fictional encyclopedias, tourist guides, newspaper and magazine articles, historians and politicians, usually a page or two long, is a neat way of worldbuilding and giving the plot local colour. I can't recall other books doing this; not merely epigrams but often a few hundred words. Combined SF pursuit and revenge plot, it's slick stuff for the 1960s, like a more wry and picturesque Alfred Bester.
>>
HOLY SHIT GUYS WESLEY SNIPES WROTE A BOOK
>>
>>9806339
I hope it's as insane as that Hunger Games knockoff Tyra Banks wrote.

http://www.avclub.com/article/patton-oswalt-on-his-most-memorable-roles-and-givi-88860
>AVC: There’s a rumor that he tried to stay in character the entire shoot.

>PO: Oh yeah, he did. When I met him I was like, “Hi!” And he was like, “I’m Blade.” And also, Natasha Lyonne was on that set, and she was going through some kind of mental breakdown. Wesley is all boundaries, and she has no boundaries. She played a blind computer expert. So the first scene they had together, she put her hand right on his face, and he just recoiled. It was awesome.
>>
Any romantic fantasy with adorable super vanilla, mushy stuff with lots of feelings and slow development?
>>
File: downloadfile-5.jpg (43KB, 520x650px) Image search: [Google]
downloadfile-5.jpg
43KB, 520x650px
>>9805953
>He thinks women can write
>Calls someone else juvenile
You've just arrived from reddit, right?
>>
I-I was joking about expecting TUC to be nonstop gay orgies!
JOKING YOU HEAR ME! IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A JOKE BAKKER!
WHAT IS THIS? WHAT AM I READING?
>>
File: Dollface Tribute.jpg (2MB, 4280x2504px) Image search: [Google]
Dollface Tribute.jpg
2MB, 4280x2504px
>>9806682
>WHAT IS THIS?
Men dressing up as women to try and entice you to stick them.
>>
Hi, never posted on /lit/ before, I'm not really widely read but do enjoy fantasy.

I just finished reading the second book in the kingkiller chronicle (the wise man's fear) and loved it, would have to say this series is my favourite thing I've read.

My previous favourite series was the sword of truth

I'm just looking for some suggestions on where to head next, had such a great experience with these last two books that I would love for the ball to keep rolling
>>
>>9806708
You should read the Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker.
I highly recommend it, it's head and shoulder above most of it's contemporaries!
>>
>>9806708
needs more subtlety
>>
>>9806682
The literary equivalent to a Type-Moon VN.
>>
>>9806713
Thanks mate I'll have a look

>>9806735
??
>>
>>9806708
The Lies of Locke Lamora
>>
>>9806708
2/10, good effort but too obvious.
>>
>>9806753
Thanks for the suggestion, I had forgotten about that one, recommended to me by a friend a while back, I'll defs look into it
>>
File: oim8.jpg (17KB, 220x343px) Image search: [Google]
oim8.jpg
17KB, 220x343px
>>9806654
No, the irony is that you clearly have. cause all the ebin mgtow ideology is a reddit leak.
>>
>>9806687
some of these aren't even dollface right?
>>
>>9806654
/r/The_Donald is the most reddit shit there is.
>>
>>9806975
That's a pretty random statement. What's your point?
>>
>>9806996
If you can't deduce the point from the context of my post, you haven't been here long enough for it to be relevant to you.
>>
>>9801006
I just started reading the Name of the wind, is it really bad or is it just a meme to shit on it because it's a popular book? Dunno if it's worth continuing
>>
>>9807006
>makes random non sequitur
>y-you're new that's why you can't understand it
>>
>>9807012
It has some interesting world building going on that gets quickly shoved to the side in favor of an unlikable unreliable narrator. If you can ignore the fedoracore horseshit that is Kvothe then there's some interesting stuff. For better or worse I'll be reading the third book, whenever it comes out, to see what ends up getting wrapped up (if anything.)
>>
>>9807014
Honestly it follows pretty clearly.
>>
Which will come out first, Ruthfuss's next book or GRRM's?
>>
>>9807014
>redditshit has reading comprehension issues
To be expected.
>>
>>9807014
>the_donald is the /pol/ stereotype that other websites think /pol/ is but not what /pol/ actually is
>the post about women not being able to write fits the the_donald archetype
>your post is reddit
>>
>>9807021
rothfuss's. obviously. because rothfuss writes a lot of books that no one wants while not releasing anything in the king killer trilogy.
>>
>>9807031
Have you ever peaked over at /r/The_Donald to actually see what it's like? The only posts about women are stuff like
>check out this based female trump supporter :DDD #MAGA centipedes
ultrareddit shit. It's not mgtow at all.
>>
>>9805548
Nice blog m8
>>
>>9807034
I should have been more specific, I meant the next Kingkiller book or next ASOIAF book?
>>
>muh women can't write
>muh women can write
>muh reddit
>muh not reddit
Stop posting.

Also, you need to read The Dying Earth to understand BoTNS, Y/N?
>>
>>9807093
Can confirm. I read BoTNS and I didn't understand it. Is dying earth a dictionary?
>>
>>9803771
No talent gay pedophile who can only write about sexual degeneracy.
>>
File: image.png (541KB, 483x765px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
541KB, 483x765px
>>9806909
>Urusla Le Leddit
>Not taking muh vagina writers seriously means you care about some abbreviation meme ideology
>>9806975
>DRUMPF!
Is this the current version of "Thanks, Obama"?
>>
>>9807171
>image.jpg
Nice job fitting into chan culture you retarded applefag reddit phoneposter.
>>
Recommended book of robert e howard's fantasy?
Are his stories all of equal value or could I read all of the ones worth reading in a few hundred pages?
>>
>>9803865
The book starts with MUH GENIUS FEMALE INVENTOR
So you know how it will go...
>>
How many of you guys are writing a sci-fi/fantasy book?
>>
Will I likely enjoy le guins sci fi works if I like her fantasy?
>>
>>9807171
>Ursula Le Leddit
If anything she's ursula le tumblr, you fag.
>>
>>9807495
No, her sci fi works are more literary.
I will say, if you could stomach the awful last books of Earthsea you'll like her sci fi, because it has ideology, but it isn't completely retarded about applying it like the last books of Earthsea were,
>>
>>9807265
me!
it's shit
>>
>>9807184
You can start with this.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/828878.The_Complete_Chronicles_of_Conan
There are definitely some that are weaker than others, but none of them are really atrocious.

I recommend The Tower of the Elephant, Beyond the Black River, Red Nails, The Hour of the Dragon, and The Frost-Giant's Daughter.
>>
File: Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>9806708
>the wise man's fear
>loved it
>My previous favourite series was the sword of truth
>sword of truth
This has to be bait.

Pick something from pic related, check the blurbs, reviews and enjot.
>>
File: 1486771729502.jpg (240KB, 1171x531px) Image search: [Google]
1486771729502.jpg
240KB, 1171x531px
>>9807078
Book reviews are not blogs. It gives us a look at if we want to read the book or not. Aspiring Authors writing about their day, and their non existent book are bloggers.
>>
>>9807110
>>9807093
>you need to read The Dying Earth to understand BoTNS, Y/N?
No. Read the 4 books over again. Everything is explained in the books. If you are a brainlet, get Wolfe's dictionary(urth of the new sun).
>>
>>9807159
>gay pedophile
One is usually associated with the other. Two sides of the same coin, it's safe to say.
>>
>>9807093
No. BotNS only draws aesthetic inspiration from Dying Earth. Reading the Catholic Church's official Catechism would probably help more than anything else. Regardless of what you've read beforehand I'd recommend reading it twice over. There's so much to it that it's impossible to really get it all in one go.
>>
>>9807257
I don't care about females having "King" roles in novels, it's when it's forced that is when I have a problem. The problem with the age of myth book was that the character felt forced into those roles. Some people write sjw shit and you don't even care because they do it so well, but Sullivan is not one of those writers. There was no subtlety, it's like he went out of his way to state that what's her name is so good, so even a child would get it without reading between the lines. I hate novels that pander to certain users of a readership. I would have to check my notes to see what specifically went wrong with that elf's whore.
>>
>>9807713
I'm a pedo and not gay.
Hypothesis doesn't hold.
>>
>>9807093
You don't need to read Dying Earth to read BotNS. You should probably at least know what "dying earth" is though.
>>
Alright I finished TUC. Is there anything important in the Appendixes or can I safely trash the burning pile of shit?
Four hundred fucking pages of crinkled sphincters, turgid phallusses, gay orgies, and death swirling down. All for what? What have I gained for reading this? The only two things that are remotely interesting in this setting are the Outside, and the Inchoroi, and I've learned precisely NOTHING about either of them! The Inchoroi are mindless murder drones from space who want to wipe out humanity to escape damnation. But I already knew that! What I want to know is WHY! WHY DOES KILLING EVERYONE SEAL THE OUTSIDE? WHY DOES EARWA MATTER? No answers! As for the Outside, what NEW information was revealed in this book?

God, I can't stand the thought that there's going to be ANOTHER series after this one, and judging by the pattern so far, it'll SOMEHOW BE WORSE THAN THIS ONE WAS!
>>
>>9807837
>Four hundred fucking pages of crinkled sphincters, turgid phallusses, gay orgies, and death swirling down.
Is it full gay like a buff dude porking a hairy bear? Or is it skinspy gay. They look like a hot female, just have a dick... Which I can ignore if horny enough.
>>
What does /sffg/ think of Jack Vance's Tschai novels? Currently reading the last one but I'm not a huge fan, the adventures all feel a bit contrived or something.
>>
>>9808198
Didn't like them desu. Much prefer Peter Watts' Blindsight.
>>
>>9808161
100% bearded manly-man gay interracial buttsex.
>>
>>9804752
Does anyone else think the whole "heaven" thing in this book was super lame? Basically just a very good virtual reality thing and they didn't even get to interact with the other people in heaven.
Greg Egan did it much better in Permutation City.
>>
>>9805512
>>women using cock rings to control men
hngggg
>>
>>9807078
What else do you expect people to do in this subreddit if not giving their opinions about scifi books?
>>
>>9808214
What did you want from it? The book wasn't about heaven, it was about first contact on the other side of the solar system, barely anything in the book even takes place on Earth.
>>
about to start reading the Genesis Machine. seems interesting
>>
>>9808230
>t. doesn't know what he's talking about

did you read the book
>>
>>9808259
yes, and barely any of it even takes place on Earth, so why does heaven need to be anything more than what it was in the book?
it's a virtual reality where people can peace out if they don't like the world
not really sure what you were expecting
>>
File: wattspother06Blindsight.jpg (70KB, 400x592px) Image search: [Google]
wattspother06Blindsight.jpg
70KB, 400x592px
t-thanks for 40 pages of the basics on game theory and chinese rooms, real interesting

dropped
>>
Give me your nubile ideas
>>
File: computer.youngman.jpg (187KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
computer.youngman.jpg
187KB, 1024x1024px
>>9808280
>haHAA I posted it again mommy, come and see- OH NO I MADE A POODIE IN MY PANTS!
>>
File: metamorphosiz.png (16KB, 413x343px) Image search: [Google]
metamorphosiz.png
16KB, 413x343px
anything like this?
>>
is there any good low-key gritty cosmic horror scifi

like some dudes just exploring a space hulk type deal and it doesnt need to have a massive overarching plot or YA shit about how MY WIFE SUSAN DIED DURING CHILDBIRTH AND I HAVE TRAUMATIC MEMORIES OF SUSAN, COME BACK TO ME SUSAN!!!!!!!!!

i wish pulp 70s writing styles were still around so there could just be a Squad of Cool Guys and then interesting scifi shit happens around that and not everything has to be fucking oscar bait sappy by-the-numbers shit with all the boxes checked

any time some book has a cool concept, it's 15% of the book, and the other 85% is "Mandatory shit you gotta put in any book" that i could get by reading fanfiction
>>
>>9808308
Blindsight does it pretty well ngl
>>
>>9808301
>uh oh, i think le SARASTI MIGHT BE UP TO SOMETHING YOU GUYS XD FOR LE 10000TH TIME
>>
>>9808315
Yes, and in the end the suspicions are confirmed when we learn the truth behind sarasti
>>
>>9808314
>YA shit about how MY WIFE SUSAN DIED DURING CHILDBIRTH AND I HAVE TRAUMATIC MEMORIES OF SUSAN, COME BACK TO ME SUSAN!!!!!!!!!

blindsight has this tho
>>
>>9808320
>i feel like le prey and he's the predator!!!!!!!! spooky!!! let me tell you this again and again so you know
>>
File: nya.png (1008KB, 896x976px) Image search: [Google]
nya.png
1008KB, 896x976px
Any fantasy books with nice pussies?
>>
even for /sffg/ this is not a good thread
>>
>>9808334
i also ruin one piece threads
>>
>>9808329
here
>>9768223

I'm not gonna post any more right now, posted them too recently.
>>
>>9808334
it's a 10/10 thread, there's sod all political arguing
>>
>>9808334
dude, just read blindsight already
>>
>>9805512
Thanks for the rec, you faggot.
>>
>>9808308
The short story Nightingale in the Galactic North collection by Alastair Reynolds.
Maybe even Grafenwalder's Bestiary from there might suit your fancy,
>>
Any fantasy books about someone climbing the ladder of an army/military to the top? Preferably not through a single event
>>
>>9807837
>waaahh I want all the answers on a silver plate waaah mommeeee
Lol, kill yourself millenial.
>>
Hi, which book is the easiest to read for a non-english native speaker, "The Martian" or 'Roadside Picnic" ? Please
>>
>>9808943
Said the millennial
>>
>>9809017
Roadside Picnic was written in Russian, so if you tried to read it in English you'd be reading a translation anyway. Therefore you might as well just read it in your native language (especially if that's Russian).

The Martian is written in modern American youth vernacular English. I wouldn't recommend anyone read it. If you only learned English in school or something you might have trouble with it, but since you are posting on 4chan you are probably familiar with the culture of sarcastic memes etc. on the English-speaking parts of the internet. So you could probably read it easily if for some reason you wanted to.
>>
>>9809157
I want to start reading in english to improve it. And, Internet helped me a lot in my learning of english, so I feel more comfortable with the modern english.
So I should go for "The Martian" ?
>>
>>9809302
It's a stupid book. By modern I mean like
>LOL I fucked it up **shrug** tiem 2 die ;))))
>>
>>9807690
That was not a book review, you only (very crudely) summarized part of the book.
>>
New thread when? This one's on page 9.
Maybe I can finish the book I'm reading before the next one.
>>
>>9809395
That explains nothing.
>>
>>9809526
What don't you understand?
>>
>>9807837
why the fuck did you bother reading that far into the series, pham? sounds like you hated the whole thing.
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.