[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a cooler version of Harry Potter? HP was a children's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: original.jpg (420KB, 1242x1235px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
420KB, 1242x1235px
What's a cooler version of Harry Potter?

HP was a children's book and had a simplistic system of magic

I want something hip and fun that explores magic but doesn't go full fantasy tier wizardry, and still has modern tropes.
Key here is: nice magic system, cool characters, YA ish, hip and not for children

Pic related is the aesthetic Im looking for
>>
>>9795366

Persona
>>
>>9795366

whoa gurl.. easy with the fire
>>
>>9795372
The anime?
>>
>>9795366
The only good fiction I've read that depicts magic as it is practiced in the read world are Crowley's novels Moonchild and Diary of a Drug Fiend.

More pertinent to what you're looking for is maybe The Magicians by Grossman, HP for a slightly older teen audience.
>>
>>9795396

just play the games it's basically what you are looking for
>>
The King James Bible
>>
>>9795431
Lame... I'm gonna write my own under a pseudonym and rake in YA cash cows
>>
>>9795366
skulduggery pleasant

or rivers of london series
>>
Mahouka is what you want OP.
>>
>>9795374
not the same
>>
>>9795437
Applause
>>
File: 1474243343056.jpg (522KB, 2500x2344px) Image search: [Google]
1474243343056.jpg
522KB, 2500x2344px
>>9795366
>magic system
>>
I get why magic systems are funny as a meme but what's the origin?
Autism? Do they really get additional pleasure from their power fantasies if they systematize them? Shouldn't power fantasies be dionysian?
>>
>>9795583
It's worldbuilding autism, also made popular by the fact that videogames require a hard system for magic to work.
>>
>>9795589

If you take the phrase "magic system" it's clear that magic is predominant element, as it is the "stuff" that is to be systematized. Therefore its presence is more vital.
So I say that the power fantasy of wielding magic is the basic pleasure here and the systematization is an enhancement of that. But the reason I brought up dionysian is because surely at some point the autist will break his own system rules in order to increaseth the sensation of fantastical power? And when he does that what is he left with?
>>
File: this.jpg (27KB, 241x346px) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
27KB, 241x346px
>>9795366
not necessarily this book in particular, but you get the idea

Faust is a more modern version, Madoka Magica even moreso. Ultimately however you need to investigate your pagan roots.

http://www.vdare.com/posts/the-inherent-euro-traditionalism-of-harry-potter
>>
people in this thread are kind of memeing you b/c this is not really the appropriate board to be asking this question. but Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel is close to pretty much of all of your requests. it's a 5 or 6 book series, all of it is pretty decent YA
>>
To aru Majutsu no Index.
>>
File: 9781582346038.jpg (61KB, 420x630px) Image search: [Google]
9781582346038.jpg
61KB, 420x630px
You might like this, OP. It's a little less gay than Harry Potter but takes place in the 19th century so not totally modern.
>>
>>9795374
weak
>>
>>9795366
Dresden Files
Alex Verus
>>
Lev Grossman's "The Magicians" is pretty bad but follows kind of the idea of a more grown up HP on the current world
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-23_14-43-21.png (54KB, 1366x738px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-23_14-43-21.png
54KB, 1366x738px
>>9795521
I've started, and skipped the novel version
>>
>>9795531
SP is pretty fucking good for a YA series

OP, no memes, read/watch HunterxHunter. Nen is the best game-y magic system in any YA genre. It starts pretty slow though.
>>
>>9795366
Bartimaeus Sequence.
>>
Reymond E Feist. Start with the Magician
>>
girl...... easy on the fire
>>
>>9796078
>not using a pirated ver. of final draft
>>
>>9796250
This
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.