[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to comprehend a text without living within its specific

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2406.jpg (89KB, 736x578px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2406.jpg
89KB, 736x578px
Trying to comprehend a text without living within its specific zeitgeist/cultural milieu (I.E. reading the greeks) is just as reductive and appropriative as reading poetry in translation (I.E. Dante must be read in Italian, Goethe in German, ad nauseum)

Debate me.
>>
>>9795217

great works address all of humanity throughout all time
>>
>>9795220
How so? They certainly do not account for all the nuance and information which occurs over time. Parts of great works address parts of parts of humanity through part of the time. So why settle for partial answers?
>>
>>9795265

>How so?

There are fundamental aspects of being human that do not change so long as humans remain human. This is how it is possible for certain works to resonate long after their zeitgeist has faded away. You have it exactly backwards. A work's zeitgeist is actually the least important thing about it.
>>
>>9795217
>Trying to comprehend a text without living within its specific zeitgeist/cultural milieu
It does give you insight of the zeitgeist/cultural milieu
>>
so what? you want me to disregard everything that wasn't written for my specific time/place in the world?

Then all I have left is The Hunger Games and some Danielle Steele
>>
File: 1496471854277.jpg (2MB, 2960x2975px) Image search: [Google]
1496471854277.jpg
2MB, 2960x2975px
>>9795217
Reading it in the language doesn't lend all that much to understanding the "zeitgeist/cultural milieu"
Only closer, deeper and more varied reading can help with this. The rest can only be your imagination. Like the Jurassic Park dinosaurs DNA.

Nice pic
>>
thats what footnotes are for

i was reading harry potter in chinese and the footnotes would explain traditions/things that aren't alien to the chinese

although it's a bit harder to do for cultural references because no matter how well they are explained the humour is lost in translation
>>
>>9795217
You can learn it through historical texts and scholarly interpretations.
>>
File: 1463764947149.png (473KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1463764947149.png
473KB, 600x800px
>reductive and appropriative
And?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.