[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Macbeth considered as good as Hamlet? Why is Romeo &

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: shakespeare_william.jpg (160KB, 936x936px) Image search: [Google]
shakespeare_william.jpg
160KB, 936x936px
Why is Macbeth considered as good as Hamlet?

Why is Romeo & Juliet considered worse than both?
>>
Coriolanus and Lear are his greatest. Get on my lvl.
>>
Romance was quite common back then.
A play based on a power-hungy tyrant was something extraordinarily new
>>
>>9791411
Lear is overrated. Macbeth and Hamlet are superior plays. However, his greatest play is Othello. If the Ancient Greeks assembled the skeleton of drama, Shakespeare added the organs and the muscles. And if Shakespeare added the organs and the muscles, Eugene O'Neill added the skin and the texture.
>>
>>9792958
>Eugene O'Neill added the skin and the texture

That was Ibsen. O'Neill put lotion on the skin to make it sexy, but then used some of the lotion to jerk off and blow a load on Drama's face
>>
>>9791400
Romeo and Juliet is underrated because it's his most popular play and the theme of romantic love is so clichéd. I love R+J because it's one of those plays where Shakespeare just let go and allowed his verse be as self-indulgently beautiful and Petrarchan as it could be. It's really magnificent.
>>
In all seriousness, what makes Macbeth so famous? I've enjoyed the few other Shakespeare plays I've read, but Macbeth, even for a first reading, was really predictable if you've read any Greek tragedies. I suppose it doesn't help that Macbeth is always sort of in our "cultural orbit" in the west and so isn't a "new" story, but "ambitious man bungling prophecy interpretation and suffering divine punishment for criminally seizing power" is rather plain, bordering on trite.

Even Coriolanus, whose story I'm extremely familiar with, was a more exciting, dramatic play.

Am I just being a pleb? Can someone please fill me in?
>>
>>9792969
At least we can agree that it was playwrights who came after Shakespeare.
>>
>>9793335
I don't know. MacBeth teaches very economically that though actions can be planned and even fulfilled, reactions are rarely if ever anticipated. The iconic dramatic instance of 'be careful what you for.'
It competes with Hamlet because it is a better play. Hamlet is of course the better portrait, the better poem.
>>
>>9793335
It shouldn't be the story that matters but the execution. From plot perspective all of his plays are trite.
>>
I imagine there's some amount of shifting cultural interests as part of it. A couple of centuries ago, Macbeth may have felt more relevant, these days everyone jizzes over The Tempest.
>>
1H4 is the patrician's choice anyway.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.