[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i have a lot of pdfs of books. i get tired of reading off a computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: remarkable-read.jpg (182KB, 1154x1400px) Image search: [Google]
remarkable-read.jpg
182KB, 1154x1400px
i have a lot of pdfs of books. i get tired of reading off a computer screen because thats what i do at work. im not carefree enough to print off 1000s of pages worth of pdfs.. so im left with the ereader dilemma. most ereaders seem to be made for epubs rather than pdfs just going by size.

i might spend 400 bucks on something stupid like pic related - am i being stupid or is there usefulness in buying a 400+ dollar ereader which is designed to emulate a sheet of paper, that you can also draw/write notes on. im aware of alternatives and very interested if anyone has any thoughts on them.
>>
>>9788254
do you have... a smartphone?
>>
>>9788254
see if there's a printer/bookbinder nearby who'll print and bind them cheaply. Usually there'll be one near a college or uni, and they'll be able to slap a thesis-style fake leather cover on an A5 size hardback. That's what I did with a bunch of ebooks cause same issue as you. Wasn't very expensive but I gave him quite a bit of business; getting old books rebound or fixed, so the cheap print outs may have been a favour. look into it anyways.
>>
>>9789083
yes but its not comfy reading off one
>>9789091
dunno spending 400 bucks once vs the effort of spending incremental amounts every so often and having to speak with another humand b
>>
ill use this thread to ask if anyone knows about cheap ereaders
are kindle and kobo the only brands or there is some chinese cheap and good ereader?
>>
>>9791170
Kindles are sold at a loss for future profits in ebook sales. The kobo is basically the chinese knockoff.
>>
Aren't epubs the same container-type as pdf with a different name?
>>
>>9788254
Go for it. It's so much better than the screen you won't believe it. I know nothing about this specific model, but shit, it's got e-ink, and it's huge. That's enough reasons for you. It will be perfect for PDF's.

Just look a bit into it. Contrast in promo pictures is often deceptive, and led lightning isn't as good compared to smaller screens since it's usually coming from the edges. Shouldn't be a problem, just be ready for it, and you may also look into alternatives. 8' e-ink screens are already enough for PDF's, readability is near perfect once cropping is used. I've had no problems whatsoever, no matter what kind of PDF I put on mine, but I'm certain my next reader will be larger.
>>
Kindles handle pdf like ass, and the DPI is awful. If it's a big pdf expect extreme lag and crashing
>>
>>9792072

Agreed. Pdfs on the Kindle have two font choices (serif, sans) and are quite limited in regards to font size. Also, pdf does not convert well to mobi or epub.

Sometimes, I can't find free books in epub, so I suffer the pdf versions.
>>
woah senpai hol' up.

is there an a4 e-ink display? I thuoght they only made small ones.

e-ink usually has an ok dpi, is it fast? does it last a while on battery? can it manage larger pdfs?

source on OP I wanna see this
>>
>>9791959
They aren't any more. I sure they're making profit on everyone of them, even without taking adds in the equation.

As for the cheaper alternatives, there's plenty of them, and they all use the same screens, so you're rarely at disadvantage.

Kobo, Nook, Onyx, Pockebook, German Tolino, i think there's even some Spanish one as well. Screens are all from e-ink, battery life is the same, software is different. Kindle is hands down the easiest to use. It's got the best English dictionary of them all, but it's somewhat closed. There's trouble with custom fonts, and there's no option for 3rd party apps on newer ones. You can import custom fonts, and have a variety of different apps on most of the other ones, so if you like to tinker, and know how to, you may even prefer the alternative. The prices aren't all that lower though. Cheapest way: find a reliable used eink device. They age remarkably well compared to other electronics.

As often, mobileread forums are the best bet if you're looking into modding them. There's also a topic on remarkable there, discussing pdf readability as well.
>>
>>9792079
Your better reading pdfs on a phone than on kindle
>>
Is it bad to read in your Ipad? I have been doing it since two years.
>>
>>9792194
Nah, no worse than lcd monitor. Shitty battery life though.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.