[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I'm writing a sci-fi book in the 1st person present,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

If I'm writing a sci-fi book in the 1st person present, how do I give the reader enough backstory to understand what is going on?

I mean, 1st person present protagonists typically don't see past the end of their noses, so how am I meant to foreshadow?

Scifi tends to have things that would baffle the reader if they're not hinted at and built up to, so foreshadowing is especially important here.
>>
>>9784597
Could you rephrase that so I know what you're asking?
>>
>>9784675
Could you post your resume? I need to know if you're qualified to answer.
>>
>>9784702
Probably shouldn't have gone posting the job on an anonymous board, buddy.
>>
>>9784702
How much are you willing to pay for the work?
>>
File: 20170721_013433.png (206KB, 1440x1325px) Image search: [Google]
20170721_013433.png
206KB, 1440x1325px
>>9784597
I bet you can't write a science fiction story better than this
>>
>>9784702
>TRYING to be difficult to understand and mocking readers for asking clarification
Gl selling a book, bro. You know people like to be able to read something without feeling it was badly translated from another language, right?
>>
>>9784597
You imply certain things that may have happened through the protagonist's thoughts and give bits of information through natural dialogue with other characters. Don't write a "backstory", just write the fucking story.
>>
>>9784597
The reader learns everything through the character and the character learns everything through conversation and experiences
>>
>>9784759
Quite literally no.

>>9784800
The 1st person is when the main character is also the narrator, and is limited in his point of view.

A present tense narrative is not retrospective, and only describes things as they happen.

Combined, the story's perspective is very narrow and limited.

If you're not familiar with this, I can live without your uninformed opinions on it.

I suppose backstory can sometimes be smuggled in as a memory, but the memory is presented as the narrator spacing out for a moment in real time while they remember the past. The flashback often ends with the narrator being bumped or hearing a loud noise, etc.

>>9784866
>>9785035
Dialogue. I guess that could work. I'm beginning to think that 1st person present is halfway to being screen writing.
>>
Read the Book of the New Sun if you haven't already
>>
You need to read books that have managed a similar predicament successfully. But you might for example have the character rest in his room or some other place where he's a alone with his thoughts. Have him mull over his predicament. Show him weary over the struggle and asking himself how he got where he is. Then devote the rest of the chapter to a section that is at once a memory of the past and an history of events that can adequately fill the reader in. Placing this section is tricky. One write successfully did it at chapter 3. So that in chapter 1 and 2 the reader is introduced to the character and sees him acting in his world and engaging with his predicament. Then chapter 3 we are given reasons. You don't want to wait much longer that that to be honest.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.